Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

networksolutions.com - sneaky bastards
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

networksolutions.com - sneaky bastards

alexalex Member
edited May 2013 in General

So I went and bought few domains with the latest networksolutions promo, and created an email address ONLY for the purpose of this very transaction. Guess what? Today (2 days later) this is what I got in my inbox:
all I can say: sneaky bastards!

Comments

• udkudk Member

get her number and ask her out

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2013

Omg, i've had emails from excatly the same person with the same email haha

Gotta love spam

• alexalex Member

@udk said: get her number and ask her out

Gina Smith. From India. Get real :P

• revnjarevnja Member

Yeah, I did pretty much the same thing a while back and they spammed me and started calling me up. You getting phone calls yet? :P

• alexalex Member

Ah yeah, one more thing to add, upon clicking "Unsubscribe":

• alexalex Member

@revnja said: You getting phone calls yet? :P

I am sane enough not to give them my real number :)

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

I got that email today as well (2 of them in fact - 1 yesterday, 1 today) but have never used Network Solutions.

• Maybe spammers look in WHOIS of recently registered domains.. even if you have privacy, they email address listed could forward to yours. I don't know of NetworkSolutions if giving out your email to spammers :P

• alexalex Member

@eric1212 said: Maybe spammers look in WHOIS of recently registered domains.

I put different email address in WHOIS.

• marcmmarcm Member

Guess what guys, I have what's know as a "SPAM box". You probably have one too. Here is an idea: use it!

• alexalex Member

are you just playing retard or....?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

If it is them, nothing wrong. Read the Privacy Policy next time. What @marcm said is right, you could have moved on with your life by marking it as spam and not making a big deal out of something perfectly legal and somewhat normal if you jump these 99cent offers.

http://www.networksolutions.com/legal/privacy-policy.jsp

Third Parties: From time to time we may share personally identifiable information with third parties in order to have them send you special offers and promotions or other information we think you might find of interest. We ourselves will also occasionally send you information on products, services, special deals, promotions, or information which we have found that may be of interest to our users and subscribers. If you do not want us to use the information you provide in order to inform you of products and services we think might interest you, or provide your information to third party companies, it is your obligation to please let us know by contacting customer support.

• alexalex Member

I made this box ONLY for this registration, what on earth is telling you it's a regular email? Actually it's not even a proper inbox, but a forwarder.

• marcmmarcm Member

@alex said: are you just playing retard or....?

@alex - Very doubtful as my higher cognitive functions were fine the last time I checked. You on the other hand are trolling for attention by using SPAM that you may or may not have received as an excuse to start a thread. Get over yourself, please...

• PatrickPatrick Member

@alex said: I made this box ONLY for this registration, what on earth is telling you it's a regular email? Actually it's not even a proper inbox, but a forwarder.

Read the quote from my previously reply, there privacy policy states they can send your 'identifiable' details to 3rd parties to send promotions/service deals.

• MycroftMycroft Member

Got the same email

• alexalex Member

@Patrick said: Read the quote from my previously reply, there privacy policy states they can send your 'identifiable' details to 3rd parties to send promotions/service deals.

I don't follow you. I'm just confirming what has been told in the previous topic - that they will use the contact details you provide to spam the shit out of people. Or do I need a special permission from anyone to do it?

• PatrickPatrick Member

@alex said: that they will use the contact details you provide to spam the shit out of people.

Not technically spam since you agreed to it when you signed up. Once again, in bold.

http://www.networksolutions.com/legal/privacy-policy.jsp

Third Parties: From time to time we may share personally identifiable information with third parties in order to have them send you special offers and promotions or other information we think you might find of interest. ..... If you do not want us to use the information you provide in order to inform you of products and services we think might interest you, or provide your information to third party companies, it is your obligation to please let us know by contacting customer support.

• marcmmarcm Member

I see this as being a pointless thread going nowhere... Maybe it should be closed. What do you think @infinity?

• alexalex Member

lol #backseatmodding

• marcmmarcm Member

@alex said: lol #backseatmodding

@alex - Grow up... or get a hobby...

• alexalex Member

or? you call your folks and close the topic? meh...

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

A company can do whatever they wish to do with what is stated in their policy that you agree to. ;)

• No one sold your email address. I bet the spammers simply guessed it. They try all sorts of common names and even less common ones. That is definitely more likely than network solutions selling your email to some spammer in India. Think about it. NS is not some fly by night company. They are one of the oldest domain registrars on the planet.

• upfreakupfreak Member

@Abdussamad When you scout for valid email address to spam for any reason, these big companies or insiders from there are the ones who knows how to best monetize that oppurtunity. Some make efforts to make it legal ($1 PM via FB) , some take the risk and run through their disclaimers and privacy policies. AFAIK Godaddy, yahoo allows marketers utilize their clean, current, targeted email databases for seeking attention...

• aglodekaglodek Member

I get this exact email from "Gina" every couple of weeks. Don't have any domains registered with Network Solutions. "She" mines the WHOIS database, is all. It's the biggest, verified email database there is. So, as bad as Network Solutions may be, this one is not on them ;)

• jeffjeff Member

NS sucks

• vedranvedran Veteran

@Abdussamad said: NS is not some fly by night company. They are one of the oldest domain registrars on the planet.

Their privacy policy explicitly states they will sell your private details to anyone who wants to spam you.

I know most people don't read TOS, Privacy Policy etc, but that part has been quoted in this thread and many people would have missed it if it wasn't for this thread. Thank you OP for sharing this.

• I also got that email but I never signed up to the provider that you mentioned so I don't think the provider is guilty- eitherway, someone stated that it is in fact in their tos.

Also, if you know that an email is already spam- do not click the unsubscribe link- that will only give the spammer the idea that the email address is actually active and they will spam even more.