Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap VPS for development purpose
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap VPS for development purpose

I need a VPS with at least 8GB Ram, 8GB Swap, 120GB Storage (SSD preferred), 4 Cores (fair share).
This server will mainly be used to build Android roms.
I don't need much bandwidth or uptime guarantee as no end product will be hosted on the server. Only development apps/websites will be hosted. I am a college student so my budget is very tight. Location of the server doesn't really matter because no end product will be hosted.
I'll be building rom once in a week (that too if I get enough time) so the VPS will stay nearly idle for most of the time but use most of the resources available when build is running.

ps I need high storage because stupid android requires 100gb space to compile a 500mb rom :(

Comments

• location ?

• @cociu said:
    location ?

As I said in the op, "Location of the server doesn't really matter because no end product will be hosted." I am from India so if it comes down to location then I'll prefer Asia but it doesn't really matter much.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

scaleway.com/pricing -- 8gb ram, 6 (slow) cores, 200gb ssd, for 5 eurocents an hour (10 euro/month). You can switch off the cpu and network while keeping the disk image alive if you want. The disk chunks (4x 50gb) are 1 euro/month each, also hourly billed. So you can pay 4 euro/month for the disk space if you want to keep it active, while only paying for the cpu and network while you're actually using it.

As mentioned this box uses Atom cores which are individually quite slow, but there are 6 cores so if you can do parallel builds, it's not too bad.

If you don't need to keep that much storage active, lots of other hourly providers might be worth looking at (mnx.io, linode, DO, vultr, etc).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @willie said:
    scaleway.com/pricing -- 8gb ram, 6 (slow) cores, 200gb ssd, for 5 eurocents an hour (10 euro/month). You can switch off the cpu and network while keeping the disk image alive if you want. The disk chunks (4x 50gb) are 1 euro/month each, also hourly billed. So you can pay 4 euro/month for the disk space if you want to keep it active, while only paying for the cpu and network while you're actually using it.

As mentioned this box uses Atom cores which are individually quite slow, but there are 6 cores so if you can do parallel builds, it's not too bad.

If you don't need to keep that much storage active, lots of other hourly providers might be worth looking at (mnx.io, linode, DO, vultr, etc).

The hourly thing makes sense but I need atleast 1 cpu and 1 gb RAM always online. Will it be possible to upgrade to 8GB ram, 4 cores on hourly basis while paying for the 1gb ram, 1 core on monthly basis?

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

The smallest version of that vps is 2gb ram, 2 cores for 1 euro/month. That doesn't include the network or disk, which are 1 euro per IP and 1 euro per 50GB, so 3 euro total. The disk is a very good deal since it's pure SSD, but there's no raid so you better back up anything important.

It doesn't look like you can upgrade and downgrade the cpu/ram while the server is running. You can shut down the 2gb vps while keeping the network address and disk reserved, and then start the 8gb vps connecting it up to the same address and disk as before, if you can handle a few minutes of service interruption during that juggling.

The hourly rate is computed as 1/500th of the monthly rate. They charge you hourly for your first 500 hours of usage in a month, and then the rest of the month is free. There are 720 hours in a 30-day month so you effectively get about 30% discount by leaving stuff on all month.

Added: you can get a 16GB dedicated server version of that plan (8 cores, 50gb ssd+pay extra for more) for 18 euro/month, or a 32gb version with 200GB local disk for 24 euro/month, again billed hourly as above. I think if you shut off the 32gb server you lose the local disk contents, but the 50gb ssd volumes are SAN so you can swap them around between servers. You might be able to snapshot the 200gb disk, I haven't tried.

• You know unless you're really on the cheap, it might be simplest to get an SSD dedicated server and be done with it:

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=281

$30/month, dual Xeon 5420 (8 total cores), 16gb ram, 240gb ssd. Not bad at all. They have other good ssd offers too, though that's the lowest priced one.

It's really nice to have a dedi and run 24/7 compute jobs whenever you feel like it. You're likely to do it much more often than you expect.

• @willie said:
    You know unless you're really on the cheap, it might be simplest to get an SSD dedicated server and be done with it:

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=281

$30/month, dual Xeon 5420 (8 total cores), 16gb ram, 240gb ssd. Not bad at all. They have other good ssd offers too, though that's the lowest priced one.

It's really nice to have a dedi and run 24/7 compute jobs whenever you feel like it. You're likely to do it much more often than you expect.

I really am on a budget. I am thinking I will buy a low end 2gb ram vps for my APIs and pay on monthly/yearly basis and use scaleaway hourly dedi whenever I feel like building a rom.

• Sounds like a plan. The Scaleway 2gb vps's are not bad at all, if you don't mind the single thread performance being somewhat slow. I've used them and have one now.

Would it be easier to do Android builds on an ARM cpu? Scaleway also has the C1 dedicated server, four ARM cores (about like a raspberry pi 3) for 1 euro/month (3 euro including network and disk as before). I've had one for a year or so and it operates just like an x86 linux box.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

willie said: Would it be easier to do Android builds on an ARM cpu?

It will be harder.

• Dont waste a second.. Grab this Now :

https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

• @Mridul said:
    Dont waste a second.. Grab this Now :

Came here to post the same.

We strive to help. :) @Maxsam4

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • @Mridul said:
    Dont waste a second.. Grab this Now :

WOW Thats actually great! The 1 tb disk one is out of stock already :(.
    I'll grab the 120 gb ssd one for now but I am afraid I might run out of storage and I doubt they will add more without increasing price drastically.

• You can get 750gb of ftp backup storage for an extra 5 eur/month. If your live stuff fits in 120gb ssd you can put the rest in ftp.

• I'm new and apparently I'm getting a message saying I'm not allowed to order? I put in a support ticket

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

Well I finally got my account sorted out with them and guess what? All sold out :/ anyways

• check contabo. afaik they have hdd vpses

• johnwavjohnwav Member
    edited January 2017

@Spliddo said:
    check contabo. afaik they have hdd vpses

Contabo was not a good provider due to always downtime.

EDITED BY @trewq: Removed advertising link

• @Maxsam4 said:
    I need a VPS with at least 8GB Ram, 8GB Swap, 120GB Storage (SSD preferred), 4 Cores (fair share).
    This server will mainly be used to build Android roms.
    I don't need much bandwidth or uptime guarantee as no end product will be hosted on the server. Only development apps/websites will be hosted. I am a college student so my budget is very tight. Location of the server doesn't really matter because no end product will be hosted.
    I'll be building rom once in a week (that too if I get enough time) so the VPS will stay nearly idle for most of the time but use most of the resources available when build is running.

ps I need high storage because stupid android requires 100gb space to compile a 500mb rom :(

@Maxsam4
    We do have a similar plan to what youre looking for.
    http://hostslayer.com/vpshosting.html
    It comes with 3Cores 8GB ram, 200GB Disk. I know you said youre on a tight budget and i think $9.99 would be great.
    Since youre asking for 4cores, i could working something out to upgrade you up to 4cores.