Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with Lowest RTT/latency from anywhere in the world
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with Lowest RTT/latency from anywhere in the world

quddusquddus Member
edited May 2013 in General

I am looking for a VPS with tier 1 transit offering the lowest RTT/latency from different locations around the world.
e.g from Australia, Asia, EU and US.
Monthly traffic would not exceed 100GB/m and expected port should offer min of 3Mbit/s.
I am expecting a lowest possible rate.

So far i have seen average ping results from NY to
Australia - 250
Singapore - 220
Europe - 117

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Comments

• nunimnunim Member

There is no lowest ping from "anywhere"... that's called a CDN. Find out your target audience, get VPS's in the appropriate locations.

• quddusquddus Member

I have few users in USA, Australia, Asia and Europe.
    In that case what should I be looking for, which location would be appropriate ?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can use few VPS in different parts of the world together with GeoDNS ("closest first" setup)

• quddusquddus Member

Thank you gbhouse.
    Its a nice suggestion, I really likes it.
    In this I have to manage more than one VPSs i think.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited May 2013

Try:

http://tx.lg.cloudshards.net

As a looking glass. Internap Texas. It's also pingable and IPv6 ready.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@quddus - yes, but you can pick the best providers for specific region like OneAsiaHost for Asia, Prometeus for Europe or Hostigation for US

• neqsteneqste Member

Best latency as i know it's montreal canada for Europe/SouthAmerica/Asia

• vanarpvanarp Member

Use this as well to test ping from multiple locations.

https://www.site24x7.com/ping-test.html

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

If you need an acceptable latency from both US and Europe, you may want to consider looking into Iceland as it's nicely in the middle between them.

There's not going to be one location that has a good latency for everywhere, there's simply a physical distance that the light has to travel. It's physically impossible to have low latency to everywhere in the world, from one central location. That's what anycast is for.

• DamianDamian Member

Additionally, i'm not sure any of us do tier 1? I suppose Datashack/WSI would be closest, since they peer with KCIX, but they're incompetent otherwise, unfortunately.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said: It's physically impossible to have low latency to everywhere in the world, from one central location. That's what anycast is for.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@joepie91 said: If you need an acceptable latency from both US and Europe, you may want to consider looking into Iceland as it's nicely in the middle between them.

In theory yes, but currently it always goes US->EU->IS.
    AFAIK there is no direct US->IS cable in operation, or at least those are not used by providers in that region for transit of general customers' traffic.
    Check with is.edis.at, would be interesting to see if you find any IP a trace to/from which proves me incorrect.

• @rm_ There are some Ashburn, VA routes that are nice, however, you are correct that they all go through Germany or London first, and then to Iceland.

Usually tinet.net to London or Voxel to Germany, at least for ThorDC.

Cheers!

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2013

@joepie91 said: There's not going to be one location that has a good latency for everywhere, there's simply a physical distance that the light has to travel.

I disagree. The earth has a radius of ~7000km. If you were to host a server at the core it would have a ping of ~23ms (speed of light in a vacuum). Let's round that up to 50ms to account for the light being in a fibre and routers. Still 50ms is a good latency for every practical need.

Francisco

• rds100rds100 Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: speed of light in a vacuum

Speed of light in fiber is 200k km/s - 1.5 times slower than the speed of light in vacuum.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

Sir can I interest you in a Quantum VPS... less than 2ms ping to anywhere in the world.

(placing this here in case it wasn't obvious enough).

• nutjobnutjob Member

@kbeezie said: Sir can I interest you in a Quantum VPS... less than 2ms ping to anywhere in the world.

Meh, my Wormhole VPS has pings of less than -2ms.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@nutjob said: Meh, my Wormhole VPS has pings of less than -2ms.

... bite me. (lol)

• nutjobnutjob Member

@kbeezie said: ... bite me. (lol)

I'll lend you my wormhole and you can bite yourself.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@nutjob said: I'll lend you my wormhole and you can bite yourself.

.... thinking bout it.

• JacobJacob Member

They are more tier 2...

@Damian said: i'm not sure any of us do tier 1? I suppose Datashack/WSI would be closest

• Maidenhead, Uk - DireVPS

• the black hole, is the most powerful communication anomaly yet to be discovered. its gamma particle system is amazing.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@kandosan said: the black hole, is the most powerful communication anomaly yet to be discovered. its gamma particle system is amazing.

But does it have an app layer?

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited May 2013

Its all about distance. One option you can use is GeoDNS using rage4.com which i had used with great success. If the application involves streaming video then thinks get more complicated. If you want to keep thinks simple UK Maidenhead is a good compromise for EU/NA

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

does SingleHop count as Tier1?

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

ping 8.8.8.8

Go with google :p

If you found anycast is troublesome, maybe pull a LAN cable from every IX on the world using a sheer number of this:

• aglodekaglodek Member

I am looking for a VPS with tier 1 transit offering the lowest RTT/latency from different locations around the world. e.g from Australia, Asia, EU and US.

Suggest a low end CDN made up of 3-7 VMs:

1x US - Kansas City or Chicago <= 40ms to most places in continental US

1x EU - Frankfurt and vicinity <= 30ms around Europe; <= 60ms to Moscow/Russia (maybe set up another node in Moscow or points east if Russian/C.I.S. traffic is important to you)

1x Asia - HK or inside China for China traffic; Singapore for all of SE Asia

Optionally: 1x India - if you are targeting that huge and growing market

Optionally: 1x Australia - if targeting Aussie traffic

Optionally: 1x Latin America - Brazil (biggest market) or Panama maybe...? Otherwise it's at least 115ms from Miami

Optionally: 1x Africa, if traffic from this area is important to you (most places in Africa, even those with large client base (e.g. Nigeria), have horrible connectivity with the "outside" world; even South Africa is at least 160ms away from Europe)

At LEB prices, the cost is negligible, say <= $60/mo - even using KVMs ;)

• I agree with @andrzej - This is a cost efficient way and will produce the results you want.

• nutjobnutjob Member

@kbeezie said: .... thinking bout it.

Ok, but when you're bending over to bite yourself in the past, be sure not to accidentally obstruct yourself originally entering though the wormhole, thus making yourself having never entered, because mathematics will get extremely shitty with you.