Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SOLVED] What would you do if you were me?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SOLVED] What would you do if you were me?

serverianserverian Member
edited May 2013 in General

I know it's a fairly long read. However, I'd appreciate if you can read it in full and advice me.

I've contacted a data center to get a collocation quote. The owner responded quickly and gave me a good price.

Then I asked them if they build servers. They said they did. So I wanted them to build 2 exact same servers for me. One of them to be sent to their DC, and the other one to be sent another DC I work with.

I've sent them the exact hardware part list that I wanted for them to build. This was crucial, because the CPU I wanted to use was 130W and it was not suitable for a 1U chassis. That's why I wanted them to put the system in a 2U chassis to install high performance active cooler on the CPU.

I've paid at April 1st, 2013 in full for the servers and first month collocation and setup fee. They said, the servers will be ready in a week.

At April, 17th 2013, they shipped one of the servers to the other DC I work with.

At April, 24th 2013, the server was delivered to the DC. So I've asked the techs to rack the server and connect the IPMI. I've checked the system temperatures and CPU temperature was 70 C degrees when idle and 84 C when full load (According to Intel's website, the maximum operating temperature is 64 C). I figured that something was wrong and assumed they didn't install the 3rd party cooler that I wanted. So I've asked them if they installed the cooler. They said they didn't. Okay, it was no big deal. I've ordered the cooler I wanted and shipped to the DC.

Cooler arrived and I've asked the techs to install it. They replied that this cooler was built for 2U chassis and won't fit in a 1U chassis.

I was shocked. They didn't use the chassis I wanted in the system even though I've asked them a couple of times to make sure.

So, I've contacted them about it and asked them to solve it and rebuild the servers using the chassis and cooler I wanted. They said, I quote, "Turn the fan speed up in the BIOS." which was obviously not a solution for my problem since the load temperature was 84 C when all the fans were 100%.

After a few more tickets back and forth, I've decided to install a 1U active cooler to the server. And it did some good and the load temperature was 76 C now, which was acceptable. Was not perfect but I could have lived with it.

At this point, I was expecting the same temperatures from the other server in their DC.

So, after a few days of delays, they racked the server in their DC.

I've logged in the IPMI and saw that the CPU was 77 C and it was idle. I've asked what the hell, they said let's get the same cooler you installed on the server at the other DC and see. I said okay and ordered the cooler and it arrived yesterday. They've installed it and when I logged into the IPMI, the CPU was 76 C. Of course all fans were at 100%.

I asked them to solve it and the reply I got was: "Looks like you should install a different CPU and sell the one currently installed into this. I don't know what else to tell ya."

This was the point I got really mad. They didn't use the parts I wanted specifically to prevent the heating issue and now they were telling me that I should change the CPU. What the hell?

I once more explained them and wanted a solution. They said, the system was built with the specs I wanted. I, then, sent a screenshot of the email with the parts I wanted in it to prove it that they were wrong.

3 hours passed and no reply, yet.

What would you do if you were me?

Comments

• @serverian said: What would you do if you were me?

Name and shame

• If you requested a certain specification and it was clear it had to be 2u with x cooler then I think they should either rectify the situation at their expense or refund your money and reclaim the server.

• @ShardHost said: If you requested a certain specification and it was clear it had to be 2u with x cooler then I think they should either rectify the situation at their expense or refund your money and reclaim the server.

This

• DamianDamian Member

Seems like I told you that it's difficult to get this DC to build servers with parts they don't keep on-hand, and you should send in your own servers if you want custom servers :P

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: send in your own servers if you want custom servers

• @Damian said: Seems like I told you that it's difficult to get this DC to build servers with parts they don't keep on-hand, and you should send in your own servers if you want custom servers :P

Yeah, I wish I had asked this you a month ago! :)

• Tell us what Data center it was. Request a full refund and shipment back at their expense, as well as any additional parts you had to buy.

• FreekFreek Member

Name and shame for sure. This is plain unacceptable.

• You asked for a 2U chassis, got 1U
    • You asked for a specific 3rd party cooler, got stock
    • You confronted them for explanation and solution, got shitty advice and no solution.

Also:

@serverian said: (According to Intel's website, the maximum operating temperature is 64 C).

@serverian said: the load temperature was 76 C now, which was acceptable

??? 76 > 64

• MunMun Member

As someone who has colocated a small number of servers, I didn't even know you could have them build servers, but yeah.... seems really bad.

Wait and see what there response is, if another BS answer contact the owner that you previously had contact with. If nothing good, move on and request a full refund.

• They told me this now:

"You are trying to go back and change something in the past when your order clearly shows a 1U colo when you are now saying you ordered a 2U machine." ... " You purchased the hardware, it is your responsibility. I'm marking this issue as closed."

I've sent them their own portal screenshot showing the chassis was a 2U with the exact model. Now let's see..

• I'm guessing all of this probably cost a small fortune, so if they don't resolve it I would definitely name and shame, contact the BBB, and if that isn't solved them, small claims.

• They are still trying to justify their mistake. I've asked one last time to either build the system I wanted or refund me.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2013

edit: nevermind.
    I hope they solve your problem.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Curious to hear how it turns out. Keep us updated

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

If after this time nothing happens, I guess name and shame. Really bad situation. :(

• get a refund, and blog about their shit service so the next guy knows they are just bs to deal with.

• They finally understand that it was their mistake and they are going to rebuild the servers.

Case closed! :)

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited May 2013

If you have an invoice with the exact specs, ask them to refund you through 'not as described' if they fail to do this, surely there's some form of Distance Selling laws in your country that you can use against them.

Threaten some legal action, you paid for something you never got correctly with incorrect specifications and poor resolution tactics.

Beat them in!

edit: Good to see it's resolved :)

• @serverian said: They finally understand that it was their mistake and they are going to rebuild the servers.

Case closed! :)

Glad to hear it! :D

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited May 2013

@serverian - new backupsy location

Edit: nice to hear!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Awesome glad to hear it

• @bcarlsonmedia said: @serverian - new backupsy location?

Different project :)

• @serverian said: Different project :)

ismysiteupsy perhaps?

• @joodle said: ismysiteupsy perhaps?

getoutaheresy :p

• DamianDamian Member

@serverian said: getoutaheresy :p

whatsamattau?

• freededicatedserversthatarealwaysupsey?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2013

@serverian said: They finally understand that it was their mistake

I am glad that they solved your issue. Out of curiosity - did you link them this thread? :P

• ola.k.ase

• @Spirit said: I am glad that they solved your issue. Out of curiosity - did you link them this thread? :P

Nope. I'm too noble to do that :p

• alexalex Member

chargeback + name and shame