Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of OVH Cloud Desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of OVH Cloud Desktop

GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
edited January 2017 in Reviews

So I had to send my main laptop in to have the keyboard replaced, and I have a Samsung Chromebook I got for school use that I modified to run Linux, and I wanted to be able to have a windows environment I could work with that had better CPU power. So I bought the lowest their version of the OVH cloud desktop.

Honestly, it's not too bad at all. It's hosted in Gravelines France, and I am currently in Indiana, US so I noticed a little bit of delay at times but my home connection is good enough it didn't affect anything I did. The OS is basically Windows 8.1 (server 2012 r2 with workstation components), and the average download was around 200mbps and up was 300mbps.

The only cons I've experienced right now are no 3D acceleration. They aren't using NVIDIA GPUs, so it's basically software rendered graphics (VMWare SVGA emulated) and as such certain graphics accelerated tasks are a bit iffy at times, however basic stuff like Netflix and YouTube is fine. I tried Minecraft and a couple steam games and they failed to launch so there's that if anyones wondering about that. I honestly believe graphics acceleration should be standard.

I also noticed no websites being blocked, I got the France version of Google, etc but was able to change that to the US version, and I didn't encounter any websites being blocked so they must have the IPs for the virtual desktop service running under their ISP ASN or something.

Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10, they could improve by adding BHS as a location for less latency, and should have 3D graphics from a Nvidia tesla, etc GPU enabled on all plans by default.

Additionally you get full admin access to everything, and can reinstall your OS at any time from the control panel. Everything is unrestricted and fully accessible to you. I also had to change the system locale from French to English United States but that's pretty easy to do. Bandwidth is unlimited just like it is on their VPSs

Thanked by 1Mathias

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Not too bad. I agree with the GPU as you say, VDI is recommended to have them.

Shameless plug, our BHS node is a tiny bit cheaper then their lowest plan for the same spec (Our vCPU is better) you only need to bring your own licence. DreamSpark if your a student.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • Is that the plan with 10GB storage? Is that user accessible storage or everything including the OS?

• One can also buy 1 euro/month (excl. vat) from Aruba cloud and install Ubuntu desktop.
    10 euros for windows enviroment could be cheap but 10Gb storage?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

The thing is though, you must understand that for them to use an actual GPU and pass through, their own costs would rise significantly and they would charge you a least double, and then you probably would not have bought it.

If your GPU becomes a limiting factor then density goes way down.

• Can you install nvidia driver there?