Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long term bet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Long term bet

DStroutDStrout Member
edited May 2013 in General

To make any prediction about tech is usually very foolish, but I'm going to make one anyway, since I think it's pretty reliable. Here it is: in five years, IPv6 deployment will be at at least 50%, with significantly more support at the home ISP level. All major sites will support it, as will Colocrossing.

Basically, at the end of five years, I don't think there will be any choice left. For the few major companies that don't support it yet because of economic reasons, by 2018 the economics will be do or die. Five years is my "margin", unless some brilliant IPv4 conservation method is found. (No, carrier grade NAT is not "brilliant"). What do y'all think?

Comments

• Seems more or less spot-on.

I just hope there will be an easier way to memorize IPv6 addresses..

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@ihatetonyy maybe we'll come up with a way to resolve words to ip addresses...

• DStroutDStrout Member

@ihatetonyy I've found a great way. Hostnames. Let's face it, we were stupid enough trying to memorize IPv4 addresses - they change relatively often. I've memorized 208.116.25.31, but I just got rid of the server with that address so now I need to memorize the new address (it starts with 192.157, haven't memorized the rest yet). But I know the hostname(s) that point to it.

@bcarlsonmedia One day... Oh yeah, there was. Back in 1983.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@DStrout - :P

• @ihatetonyy said: I just hope there will be an easier way to memorize IPv6 addresses..

This has been my major problem. IPv6 is too annoying for humans. It's long and cryptic. Ends up being copy-paste / lookup jobs.

• marcmmarcm Member

@DStrout said: To make any prediction about tech is usually very foolish...

@DStrout - You're absolutely right, in the tech world this saying applies more than anywhere else: "He who lives by the crystal ball soon learns to eat ground glass."

@DStrout said: I'm going to make one anyway, since I think it's pretty reliable. Here it is: in five years, IPv6 deployment will be at at least 50%, with significantly more support at the home ISP level. All major sites will support it, as will Colocrossing.

I'm with you so far.

@DStrout said: ...unless some brilliant IPv4 conservation method is found...

Sorry, there isn't any trick or special conservation method left. IIRC summary routes was the last ace up Cisco's sleeve for IPv4 (if they came up with it as they claim).

• DStroutDStrout Member

@marcm said: Sorry, there isn't any trick or special conservation method left.

Good. I'm not looking for one. Other folks shouldn't be either. With all the money and time networking companies spend implementing all the IPv4 conservation techniques, they could just set up IPv6.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited May 2013

@bcarlsonmedia said: @ihatetonyy maybe we'll come up with a way to resolve words to ip addresses...

What about DNS? 8.8.8.8 is easy to remember, 2001:4860:4860::8888 is not as easy. And this is if you're using Google's DNS, which has the easiest to remember IP.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Give every country, government body and educational establishment a vlan and implement internet wide tagging, sorted.

stupid Ipv6

• DStroutDStrout Member

@JTR said: Google's DNS, which has the easiest to remember IP.

I'm surprised Google can't pull off something like Sprint, which owns 2600::1

• PaulPaul Member

@DStrout said: Basically, at the end of five years, I don't think there will be any choice left

You're right...and that's a point that was made years ago, that it's a do or die shift to ipv6.

I remember feeling quite worried when they announced ipv4 was running out, and it felt like ipv4 armageddon or something. Now the growing pains with ipv6 is just part of the process I guess.

You can't put a cap on corporate greed, and so I'm thinking if the price is right, I bet we'd have ipv6 everywhere in less than two rather than five years.

• jeffjeff Member

I think remembering anything will be possible. I have only glossed over Ray Kurzweil's theory on "the singularity", but it makes sense to me. I also enjoy owning a K2000VP sampler/keyboard, so I might be a bit biased.

@concerto49 said: This has been my major problem. IPv6 is too annoying for humans. It's long and cryptic. Ends up being copy-paste / lookup jobs.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@DStrout said: Basically, at the end of five years, I don't think there will be any choice left

It seems rediculous that corporations have huge blocks of ipv4 that aren't in use as well, imagine how many ipv4 are out there not in use. Which leads to there being no choice left.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@ihatetonyy said: way to memorize IPv6 addresses

can we buy static ip that spells our name, like license plate

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@AnthonySmith said: Give every country, government body and educational establishment a vlan and implement internet wide tagging, sorted.

when i work in national university of singapore, i was so surprised that my workstation has a public ip address. i run a webserver there and let my friends view my photos.

• @jcaleb said: can we buy static ip that spells our name, like license plate

Since when was your name Dead Beef?