Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean is a joke! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean is a joke!

13»

Comments

• wychwych Member

@vedran said:
    Jar are you working for DO now?

Yes.

• andrewnandrewn Member
    edited June 2015

@kcaj said:
    Cloud doesn't mean HA. HA is just that, if you want it look for it.

why is cloud better than any other "traditional" vps hosting?

• wychwych Member

@andrewn said:

Its a marketing buzz world that has been applied to anything SaaS/IaaS related to the general public.

99% of "cloud" VPS are traditional VPS.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited June 2015

andrewn said: why is cloud better than any other "traditional" vps hosting?

cause it is modern to be in the cloud (same as to use iPhone)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

wych said: 99% of "cloud" VPS are traditional VPS.

There's still one tangible benefit of (typically) hourly billing.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:
    There's still one tangible benefit of (typically) hourly billing.

That is also not universally offered by "cloud" providers.

"Cloud" really is just a buzzword without a defined meaning, other than on a network diagram (and there, it's the evil thing that might eat your data).

Thanked by 1Zappie
  • sinsin Member
    edited June 2015

andrewn said: why is cloud better than any other "traditional" vps hosting?

Everyone has their own definition of what they consider "the cloud" so for me...with a cloud provider (and I'm not talking about Digital Ocean) I can scale from 1 to 16 CPUs or 1GB to 16GB in less then a minute to handle extra traffic/users and then scale back when I'm done using them, I can mount extra disks or network interfaces whenever I want, I can take full snapshots and redeploy them in a different location or use them as extra backups, etc etc. You can't do a lot of that with traditional VPS providers.

• icryicry Member

I would suggest someone like iwstack. you can setup regular backups by someone like vaultpress and plugin side backups to your cloud [googledrive,dropbox,copy, etc]

• @sin said:
    Everyone has their own definition of what they consider "the cloud" so for me...with a cloud provider (and I'm not talking about Digital Ocean) I can scale from 1 to 16 CPUs or 1GB to 16GB in less then a minute to handle extra traffic/users and then scale back when I'm done using them, I can mount extra disks or network interfaces whenever I want, I can take full snapshots and redeploy them in a different location or use them as extra backups, etc etc. You can't do a lot of that with traditional VPS providers.

Well it just the matter of the GUI then whether somebody call himself as a cloud provider or a traditional hosting provider. I can have a very powerful single dedicated server with bunch of resources and a very good written GUI where you can scale the resources easily....

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@newbiemasih said:
    yeah this true, my account get suspend forever because dmca.

That would likely mean repeatedly ignoring DMCA. I would be happy to investigate for you and provide any clarity on the situation, or reconsideration depending on the circumstances discovered. Drop me a PM anytime.

@vedran said:
    Jar are you working for DO now?

I am. I love it :)

• zagizagi Member

Hi All,

This is Ben from DigitalOcean, been quite a while since I last posted here.

I wanted to give you my take on what makes a cloud provider. It boils down mostly to abstraction.

There are 5 layers:

• self service: a user can provision resources on demand either through a control panel or API without human interaction

• network access: resources are available via a network connection, usually TCP in nature

• multi-tenant: all of the hardware is shared by multiple users and is securely partitioned to provide a slice of resources to a specific user

• elastic: resources can be scaled up or down on the fly

• pay for what you use: resources are billed based on actual consumption and usage of what has been provisioned

To be honest, this is the definition that NIST uses, http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf

I find it to be fairly high-level but it works equally well for cloud services like IaaS (DigitalOcean) which provides these 5 layers, as well as a service like Dropbox file storage in the cloud.

Hope this helps explain what the world means by cloud. I know that many times users mistake HA for Cloud but the two are not related in anyway. Even more important is that Cloud can introduce more failure domains than a dedicated server environment and requires additional safeguards in the application to stay available.

@andrewn said:
    Well it just the matter of the GUI then whether somebody call himself as a cloud provider or a traditional hosting provider. I can have a very powerful single dedicated server with bunch of resources and a very good written GUI where you can scale the resources easily....

The problem with a dedicated server no matter how good the GUI is that it can not scale resources. A human would need to walk up to the server, disconnect it from the network/power and upgrade CPU/memory in order to scale a dedicated server.

Thanked by 4jar sin Dylan eva2000
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2015

REDACTED.

• @zagi said:
    Hi All,

This is Ben from DigitalOcean, been quite a while since I last posted here.

I wanted to give you my take on what makes a cloud provider. It boils down mostly to abstraction.

There are 5 layers:

• self service: a user can provision resources on demand either through a control panel or API without human interaction

• network access: resources are available via a network connection, usually TCP in nature

• multi-tenant: all of the hardware is shared by multiple users and is securely partitioned to provide a slice of resources to a specific user

• elastic: resources can be scaled up or down on the fly

• pay for what you use: resources are billed based on actual consumption and usage of what has been provisioned

To be honest, this is the definition that NIST uses, http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf

I find it to be fairly high-level but it works equally well for cloud services like IaaS (DigitalOcean) which provides these 5 layers, as well as a service like Dropbox file storage in the cloud.

Hope this helps explain what the world means by cloud. I know that many times users mistake HA for Cloud but the two are not related in anyway. Even more important is that Cloud can introduce more failure domains than a dedicated server environment and requires additional safeguards in the application to stay available.

The problem with a dedicated server no matter how good the GUI is that it can not scale resources. A human would need to walk up to the server, disconnect it from the network/power and upgrade CPU/memory in order to scale a dedicated server.

Well I would actually vote that. I have a server with 2TB drive and 16GB memory. I have a nice GUI and the client order a virtual server with 256MB memory and 10GB drive. He will be able to scale up and down whenever he wants up to 2TB space and 16GB memory...

In the cloud if I want you at DO to provision a server with 200TB disk space and for example 200GB memory - the values just for illustration - I don't think you would be able to since you don't have a node where you have these resources..

• zagizagi Member

@andrewn said:
    In the cloud if I want you at DO to provision a server with 200TB disk space and for example 200GB memory - the values just for illustration - I don't think you would be able to since you don't have a node where you have these resources..

Agreed, and if I asked you to provision 1PB of disk space and 400GB of memory you wouldn't be able to on your dedicated server.

The difference is on DigitalOcean you could spin up in an instant 1000's of droplets and achieve the total resources you desire.

In your case you'd need to reach out to your provider and wait an unknown amount of time to add more servers.

That's the cloud in a nutshell.

• andrewnandrewn Member
    edited June 2015

@zagi said:
    That's the cloud in a nutshell.

erm...I can spin up 1000's of droplets but probably any "traditional" VPS hosting provider could do the same if they have enough servers.

You as a cloud hosting provider need to wait an unknown amount of time to add more servers as well so I still don't get the point what's the difference. We have a cloud provider with 10 nodes and we have a VPS hosting provider with 10 nodes and the same resources. Both has the same GUI. Whats the difference?

Anyway I don't want to argue so I shut my mouth now:)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

andrewn said: We have a cloud provider with 10 nodes and we have a VPS hosting provider with 10 nodes and the same resources. Both has the same GUI. Whats the difference?

I think, that others may meet this definition of cloud and do not use the word does not diminish the meaning of the word by this definition.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

zagi said: Even more important is that Cloud can introduce more failure domains than a dedicated server environment and requires additional safeguards in the application to stay available.

That is correct, it stems from the complexity of the setup, the more complex a setup, the more chances something will break. Right now, the available technologies and stacks are less resilient than mature things like solus and the like. They are getting there, though, some providers managed to build extremely resilient infrastructures, AWS, for example, is overall more stable than our most stable setups this year (not last year and 2 years before though, when we managed 100% uptime on those, barring a fluke now and then with some packet loss due to attack and stuff like that).

This does not change the fact that, yes, overall, the stack is now less reliable, even with HA, than siple nodes with VPS and local storage "infrastructures".

Thanked by 1jar
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

zagi said: pay for what you use: resources are billed based on actual consumption and usage of what has been provisioned

But that's not what DO does, because you're being charged for the allocation of resources, not the usage of them. So by that definition, DO wouldn't be a 'cloud' provider.

• For us, cloud also means buying just what you need - ie: not having to buy more RAM just to get more disk space, for example - having true flexibility!

• sinsin Member

andrewn said: Well it just the matter of the GUI then whether somebody call himself as a cloud provider or a traditional hosting provider. I can have a very powerful single dedicated server with bunch of resources and a very good written GUI where you can scale the resources easily....

I think companies like Dediserve, Google, Quadranet's cloud, etc rely on a lot more then just a gui :).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

IThinkUFailed said: Sheesh, what a grave dig.

Arise, oh ancient thread!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

joepie91 said: But that's not what DO does, because you're being charged for the allocation of resources, not the usage of them. So by that definition, DO wouldn't be a 'cloud' provider.

I suppose the purest cloud in that sense would be someone who gives you a shell and charges based on how much RAM and CPU time you use. Or some kind of system where you submit a batch job, it runs, and then you pay for the resources you used. Some PaaS systems do this. The old Sun Grid service did this - you submitted code, it ran, you paid.

Otherwise, any kind of VM is paying for reserved resources which you are very unlikely to use at 100% capacity constantly.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

A customer of mine once said that his "definition" of the cloud was/is (I will try and translate it to English)

"Server or service that is not on-premises, it is somewhere else and it can change as easily as a cloud".