Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

centos 6 scaleway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

centos 6 scaleway

Hi

Anyone know how to install centos 6 o scaleway instance? I only see centos 7 options.

Thank
zidit

Comments

• You can only install the operating systems and versions they provide through their control panel unfortunately. Their system is designed in a way when a VM/Server boots it grabs their kernel from the network and as such you cannot run your own kernel (ie. no custom kernels, no custom OS's, etc.).

• You can actually do it when I tried. Whenever GitHub comes backup you should be able to follow this guide https://gist.github.com/nachokb/f33a97439bf64d34fb7e

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2017

DrFallen said: You can actually do it when I tried. Whenever GitHub comes backup you should be able to follow this guide https://gist.github.com/nachokb/f33a97439bf64d34fb7e

Your words do not make sense and the link you provided does not work.
    And you ansered on a topic you do not have a clue.
    There is a long conversation in scaleway's forum, for using custom kernels (e.g. to install proxmox), there is not a way to keep the new kernel after a reboot. (except if you expect not to reboot the machine ever).
    So, there is no way to install a linux image if it is not present to their image hub.

• @jvnadr said:

DrFallen said: You can actually do it when I tried. Whenever GitHub comes backup you should be able to follow this guide https://gist.github.com/nachokb/f33a97439bf64d34fb7e

Your words do not make sense and the link you provided does not work.
    And you ansered on a topic you do not have a clue.
    There is a long conversation in scaleway's forum, for using custom kernels (e.g. to install proxmox), there is not a way to keep the new kernel after a reboot. (except if you expect not to reboot the machine ever).
    So, there is no way to install a linux image if it is not present to their image hub.

If you actually read the topic this has nothing to do with kernels. This is to install CentOS 6 on a server which can be done it appears you aren't aware of how Scaleway works but you basically grab an image of CentOS 6 create a snapshot turn it into an image and then create another instance with the snapshot you created.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2017

DrFallen said: If you actually read the topic this has nothing to do with kernels. This is to install CentOS 6 on a server which can be done it appears you aren't aware of how Scaleway works but you basically grab an image of CentOS 6 create a snapshot turn it into an image and then create another instance with the snapshot you created.

If OP want to try it, this is the tutorial ( https://gist.github.com/nachokb/f33a97439bf64d34fb7e ) but it may be a waste of time... There are scaleway's forum posts that saying that this method leads to errors, because of their modified kernel. The kernels scaleway use are not the official, but hacked from online.net according with their needs.

P.S. @DrFallen Your link (and mine) is now working, I tried it when reading the post and I got an error, maybe there was an outage on the particular github server at the moment.

• Yeah there was an outage earlier for some unknown reason. The method should work as I say I have previously got it to work a while ago not that there is really anything wrong with CentOS 7.

• Ask them for CentOS 6 support via a ticket?

• @ethancedrik said:
    Ask them for CentOS 6 support via a ticket?

I doubt they will be adding it, people have been requesting it and more via their "forums" for a long time now.

• sinsin Member

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@ethancedrik said:
    Ask them for CentOS 6 support via a ticket?

I doubt they will be adding it, people have been requesting it and more via their "forums" for a long time now.

I noticed that every OS that has been requested on their forums/community has always denied by Scaleway.