Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Selling 1TB for $7?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone Selling 1TB for $7?

ConnorlConnorl Member
edited May 2013 in General

Anyone doing any storage VPS offers?

Looking for EU if anyone can, if not, US is fine :)

Thanks!

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

If the US is an option, I wouldn't be able to do as much as 1TB but may be able to work something out depending on your exact requirements.

Thanks.

• You'd pay more than that for a additional HDD at most dedi hosts.. so I doubt you'll find a[n un-oversold] VPS with this..

• ConnorlConnorl Member

@dominicl, Send me the location and specs please :)

• ConnorlConnorl Member

@Infinity.

Read your link :)

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

Someone would have to be crazy to sell 1 TB in any kind of raid1/10 for $7 a month.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Connorl said: @dominicl, Send me the location and specs please :)

I can't compete with @Fliphost's offer so you're probably best going with that.

Best of luck.

• ConnorlConnorl Member

@dominicl said: I can't compete with @Fliphost's offer so you're probably best going with that.

Best of luck.

Still looking for other providers though. Skype me.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@BlueVM Did it before and it worked out well. I just cannot do it as a standard pricing. Only in limited specials as this one.

Though some would call it crazy ;)

• FreekFreek Member

I think no-one can beat Fliphost's offer (yet) so that's why it's so popular. I know backupsy is doing 1TB for 14 bucks.

• ConnorlConnorl Member

@Fliphost said: @BlueVM Did it before and it worked out well. I just cannot do it as a standard pricing. Only in limited specials as this one.

Though some would call it crazy ;)

Do you have 1 more 1TB left :)

• exussumexussum Member

http://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/#CompareProducts Slightly more than $7 but they offer 2TB for £7

• ConnorlConnorl Member

@exussum said: http://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/#CompareProducts Slightly more than $7 but they offer 2TB for £7

Thanks, But not a VPS :(

• exussumexussum Member

@connorl what sort of access do you need ? Do you actually need to run anything on there or just store the files ?

• ConnorlConnorl Member

@exussum said: @connorl what sort of access do you need ? Do you actually need to run anything on there or just store the files ?

Going to make an owncloud server :)

• marcmmarcm Member

Guys, check this out: http://sqz.io/whoisfliphost

Look at the AS number owner on the right side.

• NoermanNoerman Member

@marcm said: Look at the AS number owner on the right side.

Avante Hosting Services Inc. (AS36137)

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited May 2013

@Fliphost - Just doing some math here:

3 TB drives x 36 in a box. (Cost for just the drives $5400)
    Add in $1,000 for a fairly cheap system, case etc...
    Add in 1 disk failure per year $150
    Add in $200 a month for colo & bandwidth x 12 months = $2400

First Year Cost: $8950
    Divide First Year by 12: $745 /Mo outgoing

RAID1 pairs = 18 x 3 TB = 54 TB usable (probably less, but in this example HDD are perfect)
    54 x $7 = $378 /Mo income

I don't sell anything that doesn't make a profit in the first year, but lets say that you did divide it out over 2 years:

First Year & Second Year Cost: $11350
    Divide First Year by 12: $472 /Mo outgoing

Even after 2 YEARS you wouldn't have repaid the hardware and at that point your hardware investment is almost completely worthless as murphy's law chimes in here... This doesn't factor in support, paypal fees, etc and you could use a different method of raid, but that's taking a gamble with your customers data. So either your overselling (by 200 - 400%) or you have some amazing connections in the hardware industry or you're perfectly fine with taking 3 years to make any money.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

@marcm said: Guys, check this out: http://sqz.io/whoisfliphost

Look at the AS number owner on the right side.

So is he using Incero or Avante?

@Patrick

Storage is with avante
    Ssd is with incero

• PatrickPatrick Member

@Fliphost said: @Patrick

Storage is with avante

Ssd is with incero

Ah right, you might want to make that more evident as that would be probably false advertising if they are not getting the fantastic CoreXchange network.

• ShigawireShigawire Member
    edited May 2013

@BlueVM said: So either your overselling (by 200 - 400%) or you have some amazing connections in the hardware industry.

Ah come on. What's this discussion about overselling/"overcommitting" again.

If you rent 1TB/7$, what do you expect?
    Some of you really need to be brought back down to earth.
    Don't like it? Don't buy it.

@Bluevm

I don't own my hardware, I rent.

The offer is only limited and I limited how many people could use the promo (Only 8).

Raid 5

As for support, I run the whole show mostly myself.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Fliphost said: Storage is with avante

So the map by that link points to Canada, are your storage nodes hosted there?

@rm_ No. IP geolocation is just weird. Probably because avante is from there.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited May 2013

@Fliphost - Ok so its a one time deal, not a "lets do this indefinitely"... I wasn't picking at you I was simply stating that it's going to be hard to find anyone to match that pricing... That said, respect to you and what you're doing.

@Shigawire - When you're selling storage VPS its kinda assumed your users will be using 100% of it. I've sold storage VPS in the past and they get filled up pretty quickly.

• PatrickPatrick Member

@rm_ said: So the map by that link points to Canada, are your storage nodes hosted there?

@Fliphost said: @rm_ No. IP geolocation is just weird. Probably because avante is from there.

Avante ..... Inc is in Canada, ARIN displays his CA business address so geolocation uses that.

All it needs is a correction email sent to MaxMind & Ip2location to get it updated

@BlueVM

Correct it is a one time limited deal I like to do every few months when I have some extra space.

:)

• Some people (including me) would pay $7 for something big and oversold than something small and dedicated.

• Can people really be this cheap?