Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Nocix.net (Small Review)

Nocix.net (Small Review)

I want to start off by saying I am not paid by Nocix.net nor did they tell me to do a review but I felt I should since I have been with them for over 6 months now.

My experience with Nocix.net has been great for the last 6 months I have used them as my provider for my dedicated server. I have only had downtime once and that was just for a few minutes while they were doing some upgrades.

The server I have with them is a Intel Xeon (2) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz (8 cores total), 16GB of ram, 240GB SSD with a 1Gbps up/down.

Whenever I do submit tickets such as my last one for setting reverse DNS for one of my IPs they respond quickly and get the task done.

I felt a small review was needed for them since they are definitely underrated and have the cheapest prices I've found for a powerful dedicated in the USA.

If you have any more questions about them please feel free to ask me.

https://www.nocix.net/

MzunguHosting - Affordable Africa hosting - http://mzunguhosting.ml || https://cyph3r.cf/

Comments

• you wouldn't be the first to be happy with their services

• I was actually really skeptical about them considering the price range they offer and the resources you get but luckily I can say they are amazing and I plan to stay with them forever so long as nothing changes negatively.

MzunguHosting - Affordable Africa hosting - http://mzunguhosting.ml || https://cyph3r.cf/

• I also have a two servers with Nocix.net one for over 1 year and the other one I just purchased from them a few weeks ago. The older of the two runs my DVR for my office and the new one is a ProxmoxVE 4.4 node I setup via clean install of Debian. I have been impressed at the quality of service for the price you get a lot. Other than some errors on config on my part have had very little down time with them. A while back I thought I might have had a bad drive on the DVR server. They replied quickly and checked the drive on it for errors. They did not find any come to find out it was an error in the VM I was running at the time. Now I have since reinstalled the DVR server on bare metal and have not had issues. The other server I have with Proxmoxve has been running fine as well. I might build a cheap cluster later by getting a couple more servers from them time will tell.

• I also consider myself as one of the happy customer of nocix :)

• Their support is top notch, the fastest answer was like 2 min. Used them for like 6 months solid.

• Nocix earlier known as Datashack used to be a popular provider here. With mixed review, overall positive, but slowly was overtaken by other EU/US providers.

Willing to buy DirecAdmin Liftetime License (Under US$75).

Regards.

Thanked by 2deadbeef vimalware
  • Yeah I was researching them a lot before signing up because I needed a production server and was looking around for something powerful yet affordable. They came to mind and I was a little worried but 6 months strong with no major issues and great ping for all my USA clients because they are in the center of the USA which is nice too

• im happy too with nocix

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 11

Nocix, aka, Wholesaleinternet (they claim that they are not excactly the same, even with some common owners but even their websites having the same custom control and billing interface), are top-notch dedicated server providers, compared to the price they asking for their services.
    Not brand new servers or latest model CPUs, not brand new HDDs, but rather reliable older hardware on unbeatable prices and a very good network, too.
    I use three servers with them, one is a beast (for the price): Dual E5520 (8c/16h) with 24GB memory and 3TB HDD, 1Gbit network 33TB traffic, /29 ipv4 and /64 ipv6, no IPMI/KVM but two rescue systems and a lot of automatic install/reinstall options from their custom control panel (5-6 flavours of linux, proxmox, and others) for 30$ p/m. Uptime since the last time I rebooted the server (246 days).
    A "Sex"-core AMD with 16GB memory, 2 TB HDD, Gbit connection and 33TB traffic, /29 and /64 etc., for 20$ per month.
    And a dual core E7400 with 4GB memory and 500HD for just 10$ per month (again, with automated unlimited reinstallations, rescue system and lot of images including proxmox).
    Their support? Incredibly fast and responding. They completed HDD replacement in 30 minutes after openin a ticked about having bad sectors!
    Kudos!

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • for cheap pricing, they're good. But I had bad experience with network connectivity and stability. Also being a customer for more than 2 years means nothing for them. I asked to cancel my servers by the end of billing cycle and they terminated both machines two days after request and week before the end of billing cycle. They did that without any notice or email. When I asked to get machines back, support staff reported that they wiped data and services will not be back since I asked for cancellation. Simply like that :)

• lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited November 1

NOCIX may have low prices, but by far they are the worst dedicated server provider I have found

If there is one word I would use to describe NOCIX, it is: "atrocious".

Have a longer review will add it later after editing.

• cassacassa Member, Provider

@lnx1001: We lost as much as tens of thousands per month as a result of their horrendous policies and have canceled all our servers with them.

In that case, why are you using a budget provider for these type of services?

ik moet poepen

Thanked by 1WSS
  • lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited November 1

@cassa said:

@lnx1001: We lost as much as tens of thousands per month as a result of their horrendous policies and have canceled all our servers with them.

In that case, why are you using a budget provider for these type of services?

We aren't anymore. That's why I said we had canceled all services.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 1

lnx1001 said: Customer service: expect to have the absolute worst customer service imaginable. They are only available monday through Friday, so if your severs go down at 5:01 CST on a Friday expect them to remain DOWN for 3 days. NO PHONE, NO EMAIL. Ticket system ONLY. And they will reply, only to say, "we sent this to support/sales/etc and they are available Monday through Friday 10am to 5pm CST". And then no one real will reply until Tuesday or Wednesday, if at all.

This is simply not true. They indeed are using ticketing system, that is available 24/7 with response in less than an hour and resolving issues (at least for me) in less than 6-8 hours, normally in an hour or so. They do not resolve issues by phone or email, but they do not advertise any kind of that support. And why should they? Their price range it the cheapest you can find in the whole world. And you blame them because they do not offer you a live phone support? -sigh-
    Monday to Friday is only for sales, not for tech support. And most of providers do offer sales/presales support only on office working hours.
    So, can you provide us some evidence (ticket screenshots that shows you did not get resolved your issue during weekend)?

lnx1001 said: We lost as much as tens of thousands per month as a result of their horrendous policies and have canceled all our servers with them.

So, you bought the most cheap servers in the world, the most dirty -and I mean DIRTY- cheap servers and you put clients that costing tens of thousands of $ per month? I call you liar! Or, if this is true, please, PLEASE, stop doing business and try another sector. Shoe salesman, taxidriver, nuclear scientist BUT NOT INVOLVED IN HOSTING BUSINESS...

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

Thanked by 3WSS sin imok
  • WSSWSS Member

I'm not the happiest camper being that I was down for 1.5 hours last month, but I paid less than a pizza delivery for the machine, so that's fine. It's going back at renewal, because it just doesn't compare to my KS-3C promo.

This space available for rent or lease.

• lurchlurch Member

Damn ive been looking at nocix/wsi for a high ram server but lots of mixed reviews. Suppose I could try them for a month and see how it goes.

• lnx1001 said: we buy about 200 servers per month from various companies.

lnx1001 said: I have two dedicated web servers. After my first server has been struggling under load, it is due time for a second server. I purchased a more powerful server for my second server.

Thanked by 1jackhadrill
  • jackhadrilljackhadrill Member, Provider

Used them for a brief period of time but was very impressed with both network quality and support. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending them for any personal needs. My experience wasn't long enough to say how suitable they'd be in a production environment.

NVMe KVM VPS in Amsterdam, Stockholm and LA ($2.50/1GB RAM/10GB NVMe/month) (AFF LINK)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Provider

I use them for a couple shared hosting nodes and a personal web server. Haven't had an issues aside from a brief period of downtime last month I believe.

Their support has been good. Nothing extraordinary but definitely good enough for most.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 1

lnx1001 said: Have a longer review will add it later after editing.

Nice dickish move! You HAD a longer review, but you erase it just after the comments followed...

Deleting comment content should be a banable action in LET...

• @jvnadr said:

lnx1001 said: Have a longer review will add it later after editing.

Nice dickish move! You HAD a longer review, but you erase it just after the comments followed...

Deleting comment content should be a banable action in LET...

It is. Ask @Amitz!

You'll thank me later. https://www.colocrap.me/

• @lurch said: Damn ive been looking at nocix/wsi for a high ram server but lots of mixed reviews. Suppose I could try them for a month and see how it goes.

Don't do it! Trust me you WILL regret it.

• jackhadrilljackhadrill Member, Provider

@lnx1001 said:

@lurch said: Damn ive been looking at nocix/wsi for a high ram server but lots of mixed reviews. Suppose I could try them for a month and see how it goes.

At this point you're just embarrassing yourself

NVMe KVM VPS in Amsterdam, Stockholm and LA ($2.50/1GB RAM/10GB NVMe/month) (AFF LINK)

• lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited November 4

@jackhadrill said:

@lnx1001 said:

@lurch said: Damn ive been looking at nocix/wsi for a high ram server but lots of mixed reviews. Suppose I could try them for a month and see how it goes.

They are the absolute worst provider out there. By the way wholesaleinternet is the same company and just as bad.

I STRONGLY recommend to avoid nocix aka datashack at ALL COSTS. Unless you like to gamble with the certainty that eventually they will simply delete your server in a few months and NOT offer any way to get a backup of your data. If it doesn't happen which is unlikely, you will experience other issues, and in the end you will have a higher real cost than what you paid.

And let's not forget the 3 days it takes to receive any real reply. You'll get an immediate reply, always. It will say, "we forwarded this to the other department available mon - fri 10 to 5pm CST." But you won't get a real reply, just that automated reply. Sometimes you will get multiple of those automated replies.

Server down due to issue on their end on a friday at 3pm west coast time? You are SOL. You have to wait until monday to get any help. They will automatically forward your support request to their "sales" or "billing" department or some other irrelevant department. After that, support is not notified so you can reply all you like to that ticket, no one will see it.

Monday rolls around, still no reply. Sometimes you may not get a reply until tuesday or wednesday for a ticket opened friday afternoon. Sometimes, you will open a ticket on wednesday, it takes 2 days. you keep replying to the ticket then on friday at 3pm pst there is no one in the office so they won't reply until monday or even tuesday or wednesday.

By 1 week later they will finally (maybe) get someone who will say something like "we don't know the problem want to wipe and reinstall os?" or even something worse like "closing ticket", or even just close the ticket without ever answering. This is not a rare occurrence, it happens with nearly every ticket. And there is no other way to contact support whatsoever other than the ticket. So when they send you into the black hole "forwarded to the closed department which won't be open till next week", no one sees that and there is no recourse. You are SOL and if your server is down or you need serious help, there is a big problem.

If you do take a nocix server, which I strongly recommend NOT to do, i extremely strongly recommend to take daily backups on a server NOT located at nocix. Of course, this is both impractical and impossible, as well as expensive defeating the purpose. You only get 15tb bandwidth per month, so it's not really possible to take full 1tb or 2tb backups per day, not even per week. If you can get away with taking a full backup once a month, ok, but this is also a serious problem. You can pay an additional $50/mo for some more bandwidth, or $100/mo for even more, but at this price it's not a budget server at all, it is far more expensive than another provider which actually offers good servers for $150+ per month.

FURTHER ISSUES

Lastly, let's talk about the issue with server recycling. Now, this is more of an annoyance and you can't entirely blame nocix for this, but the real problem is that it is simply bad customer service and truly horrendous awful user experience.

Say something happened, you got busy and forgot your bill. Or say you were traveling and didn't have access and it was christmas day.

The problem with nocix that you don't get with quality providers, is that immediately as soon as you did not pay your bill, within 1 day they will delete and recycle your server.

It does not matter if you pay thousands per month by the way, They simply do not care if you have 1 server or 100 servers with them. They will not give you any preferential treatment even if you have tons of servers with them. Which really seems to be a horrible business model. If you are a company selling $50 to $100 servers and a customer is paying thousands per month, that customer is a VIP and if some urgent situation happens once or twice per year, you should go out of your way to help them.

Not only does nocix not go out of their way, they actually treat you like you are the problem, it doesn't matter if you are paying many hundreds or thousands per month.

So say that for some reason you can't get to your bill on Friday. Well, your server is immediately, automatically terminated.

Fine if you suspend a service for 2 days because of nonpayment. That is the customer's fault. However, this is not the real problem. here. What happens is that your server is actually instantly terminated. Even if you logged on same day, you're too late. You open ticket saying, "i want to pay the invoice due a few hours ago, but invoice is missing and server is terminated?"

Too bad. You will get an automated reply "you have been forwarded to billing department available mon-fri 10 to 5 CST." Except today is friday morning. Billing department doesn't get around to helping you all day, so 3pm PST rolls around and you reply to your ticket "hey the day is almost over, I don't want server recycled. Please send invoice so I can pay the bill and renew the server" No reply, because you're now in the black hole. 2 days from termination, the server is recycled. That means Sunday. They of course are closed on Sunday.

You also cannot send them any money for that invoice. So, in other words, your bill was due thursday, support couldn't get to you friday, then billing is out of office all weekend till monday morning, so your server is automatically recycled. You have no way to pay your bill because invoice is removed and $5 termination fee charged. You can pay the $5 termination fee but you can't pay your bill. Since billing is out of office friday night to monday morning, and because even on monday they didn't get to your ticket all day, your server is permanently deleted and recycled. How is that for being a vip customer. They don't care how long you have been a customer or how much you are paying them. They will treat you the same as if it is your first month on the lowest budget server.

Conversely, a quality hosting provider usually holds your drives up to 2 weeks in my experience. So even if they deleted your server for nonpayment (which a quality provider would not do "immediately", especially if you are a VIP spending tons of money over years with them), you could simply ask to get your drives. NOCIX doesn't have this ability. Their service is the worst.

EVEN MORE ISSUES

This is not only a problem for bills you are 20 seconds late in paying. This is also a problem with servers you may have accidentally terminated.

Their system is very, very bad. When you have tons of servers, it is very difficult to keep track of what is what. They have no labels on this invoice, just a 6 number code for your server id. So it will say something like "929292" as the ONLY label on the invoice for which server. You have to scroll though all your servers list on their site and try to find the server id and cross-reference that with the invoice to see if that was a server you want to keep this month.

Not even to mention how ridiculous and tedious this is, this is not the only problem. You see, if you accidentally cancel a server, especially a preconfigured server, you have NO recourse into getting this back. This is because "immediately" the server is completely terminated and automatically deleted with no recourse, recycled and sold to someone else. Doesn't matter if you are paying thousands per month. You are not a vip at NOCIX. you are just another stupid customer they don't care about.

Now, is this good "business" sense? On the surface, yeah it seems like it. Maximize use of the servers to sell them cheap. However, it provides an absolutely horrendous user experience. NOCIX cares nothing about customers, only its bottom line. Which is contradictory in fact, because the bottom line is actually really dependent on the satisfaction of the customers. If you piss off your highest paying customers, you LOSE on your bottom line. NOCIX staff are too stupid to see this far. They will just treat all their customers like trash.

But again, that's not the only issue. So say you terminate a server but immediately change your mind. Better not do it on a thurs or friday. If you do, of course any tickets saying, "I made a mistake, I chose the wrong server to terminate" (because say you mixed up the server ids because it's so difficult to find the right server and did the wrong one), well too bad for you because you will get the black hole reply "forwarded to the closed department which opens in 3 days".

Other quality providers won't do this. We have used many other dedicated server providers, and by far this is the worst user experience.

MERGED INVOICES PROBLEM

I'm starting to get weary of writing this review, but I could go on for days about the problems with nocix. By the way NONE of these problems are experienced with our other dedicated server providers.

So the last problem I will discuss, but by no means the last problem, I am just tired of writing at this point, is regarding merged invoices.

Say you bought 2, 3, or even 10 servers on one day. Well, from now on, all those servers will be placed on the same invoice. You CANNOT pay just part of that invoice. The ONLY way to remove the server from the invoice is to permanently terminate the server. So say that you want to pay your servers early on 3 servers but there are 4 servers on that particular invoice. You aren't sure if you want to terminate server 4 yet. Well, you CANNOT pay the invoice for the other 3 servers. You are not allowed.

You can ask them to split the invoices, but they will refuse. They absolutely will not split your invoices no matter what under any circumstances.

So in other words, if you are not sure if you want to keep one of the servers, then you CANNOT pay your invoices early. BAD LUCK if the invoice is due on friday, saturday, or sunday. Because now ALL the servers on that invoice will get terminated if you do not ALSO pay for the server which you aren't sure if you wanted to keep.

But that is not the only inconvenience. It also means you have to keep track of all the other servers of the merged invoice even the ones you know you want to keep. You can wait till the last day but then you HAVE to renew all servers, or terminate and PERMANENTLY delete any server you are not sure about.

This is a horrendous user experience. It create a lot more work in managing invoices, and all this on top of the invoice just has a bunch of server IDs (6 digit numbers) and NO text to help you discern which server is which. No hostname, no nickname, no text, nothing, You have to scroll through and cross-reference each and every id with the server in your own records to know which server is which. It does not even list the IP of the server on the invoice.

Not only that, but on the invoice page there is a 6 digit number which is NOT the server id, it is the invoice ID. Every invoice ID is different. You have to open it up to see all the server IDs that are inside the ticket ID. So if you have a bunch of invoices always due because you have a bunch of servers, especially if most are the same price, it is extremely challenging and annoying and confusing to try to sort out which is which.

Then combine this with the fact that random servers are grouped together into merged invoices just because you bought them on the same day. This makes for a super confusing cluster ** that significantly increases your work and also increases possibility you may accidentally delete the wrong server.

Oh yeah, and you can't delete the server from the invoice screen. You have to scroll through all your servers on the server page and then cross-reference that with both the invoice and your own records and IPs trying to see which invoice applies to what. It is super confusing and creates a huge amount of unnecessary work.

Again, quality server providers have none of these issues.

There are many more issues with nocix which I don't have the time or energy to talk about right now like latency, overselling of bandwidth, etc.

But use this takeaway: after all the extra time and management and problems and issues and more that you have to deal with, in the end nocix ends up costing you far more money that you realized. If you go back and calculate the money lost, data lost, time lost, and your own customers lost as a result of nocix garbage servers and garbage support and garbage system and garbage ticket and garbage service, your actual costs are far higher than even premium servers.

In short, nocix simply is not worth the time, effort, and high monetary expense hidden behind a seemingly budget service. It's going to end up costing you a lot more money, time, and headache that you realized.

• @lnx1001 I call you bullshit.

We are still waiting for any evidence of your sayings: Tickets that are backing up whatever you claim here. Or else... Bullshit!

Thanked by 1kingjj
  • AmitzAmitz Moderator

@jarland once gave @lnx1001 a 24h timeout. I don't know why, but I have a feeling that it won't be the last.

@jarland starting a business partnership with @MikePT - Preppers prepare yourselves...

• WSSWSS Member

I have had a handful of machines with Nocix/WSI/Datashack, and other than them willing to do nothing for you with a prebuild which doesn't involve hardware failure (Seriously, you break it, you bought rented it), I have no real complaints other than them only sending you a single /64 across no matter how many machines you have. That's kind of hokey and unless they actually bother to remap for the shared ports across your machine, means that IP theft is likely plausible.

• WSSWSS Member