Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank You Button?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thank You Button?

MunMun Member
edited May 2013 in General

Since we are never getting the thank you button, @darknessends wanted me to ask all of you would you rather have a third party site where we could give REP to said person?

Ready..... Set.... Comment!

Comments

• Explaining more about the idea - It can be a ranking website where You can Thank You or Kick Ass of users and it will affect their rankings, with beautiful graphs and charts and latest love and hate comments.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited May 2013

I'm already on Reddit.

• Plus, I can see that people can have the signature as the Thank Me Here link directly leading to posting thank you's on website.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Back in the day, we talked about VPSs on LET. :D

• MunMun Member

@KuJoe said: Back in the day, we talked about VPSs on LET. :D

Hey, which is better KVM or OPENVZ :D

• @Mun said: Hey, which is better KVM or OPENVZ :D

XEN :D

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Mun said: Hey, which is better KVM or OPENVZ :D

That's more like it! :P

As for the site idea, I say go for it. Build the site and post it here when it's ready to see who adopts it. You can poll the members here all day long but in the end the site will need to sell itself.

• mojedamojeda Member

LowEndRep

• Domain Name: LOWENDREP.COM
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Name Server: DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    Name Server: DNS3.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    Name Server: DNS4.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    Name Server: DNS5.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    Updated Date: 05-may-2013
    Creation Date: 05-may-2013
    Expiration Date: 05-may-2014

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

Dear Lord, thank you for giving us @Mun to enlighten us and show us the way, as we all would be lost without him. Thank you Lord for gracing us with his presence and please keep him out of harms way and in good health so that he may keep us straight. Lord please keep @Mun in your good graces and out of the way of a meteorite, or a polar bear, or an elephant... because he has to keep all of us honest... and straight ;-)

• jhjh Member

How much rep do you think you'd have, @darknessends?

• MunMun Member

Fine Ill work on something, Simple or complex guys?

• BK_BK_ Member

Something we can add to our signatures that displays rep and the option to + or - directly there? :p

• marcmmarcm Member

@Mun said: Fine Ill work on something, Simple or complex guys?

@Mun Complex please :D

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited May 2013

I considered something vaguely like this, except it would be a Greasemonkey (or equivalent) script that would basically add an iframe next to posts that would point to a thanks button page powered by one of my servers. Only thing was authentication, which this system will face too. If you don't somehow authenticate that this is in fact an LET user, what's to stop someone from adding a bunch of fake downvotes or upvotes to a user they like/dislike? I was thinking of having my system pull a code from user signatures to authenticate people, but I figured us LETers being the suspicious lot we are, no one would like anyone having control of the thanks system.

Although, considering that the alternative is to have chief be in full control of everything, what are we doing here?

• @jhadley, they dnt like me much

• @Dstrout, when users will signup we will verify them by sending a activation code on their LET/WHT account.

• @darknessends said: Explaining more about the idea - It can be a ranking website where You can Thank You or Kick Ass of users and it will affect their rankings, with beautiful graphs and charts and latest love and hate comments.

I'm down for the DDoS target being your site and not LET because of drama

• @doughmanes, DDOS are welcome, we have to take them as they come.

• mojedamojeda Member

@darknessends said: @Dstrout, when users will signup we will verify them by sending a activation code on their LET/WHT account.

If you ask me, I'm not going to register on another site just so I can give rep/thanks for another site. =\

• DamianDamian Member

If you guys really wanted a thanks button, you'd program a script to output a dynamic image that incremented by one every time it was clicked.

• MunMun Member

I was thinking IP based, thoughts?

• MunMun Member

I was thinking IP based, thoughts?

• @darknessends said: @doughmanes, DDOS are welcome, we have to take them as they come.

Watch out @shovenose may throw some packets at you

@mojeda said: If you ask me, I'm not going to register on another site just so I can give rep/thanks for another site. =\

+1

• mojedamojeda Member

@Mun said: I was thinking IP based, thoughts?

VPNs?

• @Mun, once it goes popular people will signup, plus you can make a small BOT to send a message dynamically on LET to activate the signup. Signup can be simply as asking your username of LET and Email Address.

• MunMun Member

@Chief, thoughts and permission, @liam too :D

• @Zen said: As this has happened in the past, you should probably ask for the permission of a senior at LET/LEB (I.E Chief) before potentially wasting time on any project that would use its name/reputation/blablablabla.

LowEndLegalTeam

• MunMun Member

Well they can be lowend, but they usually loose the case.

• LowEndLegalTeam files takes years to go to court because $7 for court fees won't go far