Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

-12V and -5v are used where?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

-12V and -5v are used where?

MunMun Member
edited May 2013 in General

Where is negative 12v and negative 5 volt used in computers?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

It's used to power the reverse flux capacitors when your reactor core overheats.

• AndreAndre Member

@joepie91 said: It's used to power the reverse flux capacitors when your reactor core overheats

I can confirm that this is correct.

• 24khost24khost Member

Plus it runs the coffee pot

• KrisKris Member

@Mun said: Where is negative 12v and negative 5 volt used in computers?

Negative?

12V DC is used for system components, i.e: hard drive, motherboard

5V DC is USB 1.0/2.0 voltage.

• MunMun Member

negative :)

• Dragoon0309Dragoon0309 Member
    edited May 2013

It's probably the polarity. Negative and positive poles. Like a car battery the red or black wire, or the + and - of a battery.

• KrisKris Member

I was going to say negative ground, but by your screenshot, + is the feed, and - is what's being fed.

Not negative voltage as much as currently utilized voltage.

+5V to is getting 5.05V properly. 2.09V is being used.

+12V is being fed 11.97V, of which 10.80V are being used.

• MunMun Member

As per wiki: The −12 V rail was used primarily to provide the negative supply voltage to the RS-232 serial ports. A -5 rail was provided for peripherals on the ISA bus, but was not used by the motherboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)

But, I don't fully understand the modern use.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited May 2013

@Mun said: But, I don't fully understand the modern use.

The ATX standard was developed when motherboards came with RS-232 ports and ISA busses, so it's still a hold-over from those days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Tom's Hardware used to enjoy writing that the "ATX standard is outdated and obsolete" without ever giving a reason, and this was in ~2003. Haven't been to their site in ages, so uncertain if they still spew basura.

• MunMun Member

The reason I am asking is I have a friend that keeps having her comp "die" and then be able to reboot a few minutes later, and In that past seeing voltages that low would signal a bad PSU.

• ground. black wires. hardly see -5 mostly use in comm. port such as usb. db9 db15 db21/25 rs232 mostly use a comb or -5/-12

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Mun said: The reason I am asking is I have a friend that keeps having her comp "die" and then be able to reboot a few minutes later

Sounds like overheating to me...

• DStroutDStrout Member

@joepie91 said: It's used to power the reverse flux capacitors when your reactor core overheats.

But don't leave them running too long. Such powerful cooling components do pose a risk of ice age initiation.

• happelhappel Member

@Mun said: But, I don't fully understand the modern use.

They're not in use on modern computers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

This thread is literally so boring I am going to go outside and ignore the internet for the rest of the day.