Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running Nodejs applications
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running Nodejs applications

MrOwenMrOwen Member
edited May 2013 in General

(this kinda came up in my head when creating that thread about the Ghost blogging application)

I feel nodejs has exploded in popularity and everyone and their grandma is writing stuff in js nowadays. With all that popularity, I've also jumped on the bandwagon but I want to know if anyone has experience running node apps in production.

How do you run your apps? Forever, supervisor? And how do you monitor them to make sure they're running smoothly, aka not eating copious amounts of ram or io in general.

Also, and yes, I know there are many hosted PaaS but I'm curious if anyone has come up with any cool homegrown solutions.

Comments

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

new to nodejs as well.. only running tests with forever and clustered node static file server right now

benchmarked it against nginx too http://centminmod.com/siegebenchmarks/2013/020313/index.html - looks promising :)

• @MrOwen said: I feel nodejs has exploded in popularity and everyone and their grandma is writing stuff in js nowadays.

Speak for yourself

• shaunpudshaunpud Member
    edited May 2013

I'd say ask @kornnflake as I think he does a bit with node but looks as if his http://receiveee.com is down atm?

• kornnflakekornnflake Member
    edited May 2013

@shaunpud said: I'd say ask @kornnflake as I think he does a bit with node but looks as if his http://receiveee.com is down atm?

Will come back online this sunday :)

@MrOwen said: How do you run your apps?

I'm using the rather complex monitor godrb.com which allows me to restart nodejs apps if they consume too much memory. I can also suggest "always" cause it's much lighter than "forever".

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited May 2013

Have ran a few NodeJS apps, what a horrible thing for a sysadmin.... Ended up using a combination of and NGINX reverse proxy, Monit and Restartd because those apps had errors, and on error they would just stop and fail. Not a good way to do, automatically restarting shit with errors but when your developers are to lazy to fix their stuff you kinda have too...

• Cloud 9 is probably the easiest way to code. Alternatively nodejitsu is where you should try always while coding, even a developer account there will give you relief from lot of node problems. With Cloud 9 you can also attach your own VM and start coding, you ll need to install node and all.

Node is no different when it will come to broken code, a lot of apps are being made in open source community and they do it for free - so no guarantees it ll work seamlessly. If you need more help, pm me. Thanks

• NodeJitsu has a home grown solution to run node on your machines as well. Check them out.

• Our entire stack is node.js. We use 'forever'. We monitor them using... well... our node.js monitoring system, of course!

• flyfly Member

I use forever, then write a systemd unit to control it. "hey bro I heard you like abstraction..."