Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anycast on VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anycast on VPS?

MunMun Member
edited May 2013 in General

Has anyone here setup anycast with VPSs using tools like bird?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

I am not sure anyone is using bird, but quagga works fine for advertising a prefix.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I use bird for small announces and to manage the blackholing community and it works fine...

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

+1 for quagga

• AmfyAmfy Member

I heard bird should be more stable for handling the whole routing table (http://www.uknof.org.uk/uknof15/Preston-Routeserver.pdf), but Quagga is working here totally fine, too.
    If you prefer a Cisco-like interface / configuration go for Quagga, what I also like with Quagga, changes are "live", you don't have to restart it every time.

• rds100rds100 Member

You don't need "the whole routing table" for anycast. In fact you don't need to receive any prefixes at all. You only need to announce your prefix.

• MunMun Member

But is it possible on an openvz Virt server? Is there anything way special other then the main config of quagga or bird?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Mun with OpenVZ veth device has to be used, it will not work with the default venet, because a subnet cannot be routed to you then.

• MunMun Member

@rds100 said: @Mun with OpenVZ veth device has to be used, it will not work with the default venet, because a subnet cannot be routed to you then.

I assume veth has to be done by the provider.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Mun of course.

• MunMun Member

:| I figured there would be a hitch somewhere.

• rds100rds100 Member

Well, no matter what virtualization technology is used, or even if it's a dedicated server and not a VPS the provider has to agree to speak BGP with you and accept and route your prefix. That's how anycast works.

• MunMun Member

Yeah I know, just be nice to learn and actually setup.

• unusedunused Member

Once ARIN drops pricing (July?) I think getting your own /22 and doing this will be much more attainable ! Looking forward to doing this myself!

• MunMun Member

You think they are going to drop prices? I was thinking I would just have to wait for ipv6 and do anycast on that.

• rds100rds100 Member

@unused said: Once ARIN drops pricing (July?)

And once pigs learn to fly... ;-)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@unused said: Once ARIN drops pricing (July?)

Pretty sure it is July

• rds100rds100 Member

I can't imagine ARIN lowering prices. I can only imagine them rising the prices.
    Whare have you read about this price drop?

edited May 2013

@rds100 https://www.arin.net/fees/pending_fee_schedule.html#allocations

The fee schedule below has been adopted by the ARIN Board of Trustees and will be implemented on 1 July 2013. Additional information about this change is available on the FAQ - 2013 Pending Fee Schedule page. ARIN Online features a fee calculator for ARIN resource holders wishing to view an estimate of annual fees

• rds100rds100 Member

@Fliphost interesting, RIPE last year changed from "pay based on the size of the LIR" to "everyone pays the same". ARIN moves in the opposite direction.

@rds100

Basically ARIN FTW ;)

• unusedunused Member
    edited May 2013

@rds100 pigs will fly in july!

• unusedunused Member

And while they're doing that, everyone should get ip space while they can, because with the new structure I suspect what little arin has left will be going extra fast.

Perhaps an ingenious plot to speed ipv6 adoption...

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: interesting, RIPE last year changed from "pay based on the size of the LIR" to "everyone pays the same". ARIN moves in the opposite direction.

If you think about it, they go in the right direction: attract a lot of new small "clients" so that when the depletion is complete and there will be only ipv6 to assign (as is in EU) they can spread arin expenses over a larger base ;-)