Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU Laptop colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EU Laptop colocation

WilliamWilliam Member
edited January 2017 in Requests

Not a joke... i have a laptop here which is actually not a bad system but has a broken GPU output.

Fits in 1U (less) including the external PSU, draw is 0.30A max possible (~66W) and it averages at around 50W with 100% CPU load (CPU TDP is 47W).

Looking for 100Mbit+ and 3TB+ traffic with a /29-/28 (ideally SWIPed to my data).

Paying yearly upfront.

Comments

• why dont you colocate it at someone's house ?

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Under my desk; 1 Gbps, no torrenting. Redundant power from laptop battery ;)

Pavin.

Thanked by 2Bochi lifehome
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

If it fits in 1U, most colocation providers will put in a shelf for you for a small fee. Shouldn't be too impossible from any provider really, if you're hoping for something cheaper than 1U for that then you probably won't find that.

• @Infinity said:
    If it fits in 1U, most colocation providers will put in a shelf for you for a small fee. Shouldn't be too impossible from any provider really, if you're hoping for something cheaper than 1U for that then you probably won't find that.

Exactly what I was thinking - just need someone to put a shelf in ;-)

Should be pretty cheap on those specs - you'd hope.

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2017

William said: William

lol , what about Romania ? will be our first laptop colo

• @cociu said:

William said: William

lol , what about Romania ? will be our first laptop colo

Sounds like you really want to colo one :p

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited January 2017

robinjoo1 said: why dont you colocate it at someone's house ?

Need multiple static and dedicated IPs. This is a laptop, yea, but i7-4720HQ and 12GB RAM with 2 SSDs go a long way as server...

Infinity said: Shouldn't be too impossible from any provider really, if you're hoping for something cheaper than 1U for that then you probably won't find that.

Yea, but looking for colo provider with shelf availability then - not going to buy and ship one...

cociu said: lol , what about Romania ? will be our first laptop colo

Actually very good, DHL works still good? Let me know a price and we can close that deal now :p

Laptop in question btw...

https://prnt.li/f/25a8e78404d8b7d869ff5981a99838db-ohquae8ohd/IMG_20170107_193722.jpg

https://prnt.li/f/d6d20e1fd05e83b0044a0cde4f8c2859-uloht8aech/IMG_20170107_193711.jpg

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2017

William said: Actually very good, DHL works still good? Let me know a price and we can close that deal now :p

For colo 25 eur/month ? including 1gbps port speed and 10tb/mo traffic. Also i can offer you network to choose.

• you dont want colo in netherlands i can provide that

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

lol my main laptop has a i7-4720HQ, GTX 970M and a NVMe m.2 pci slot, I could easily turn it into a server if I retire it from main-use duties

• Sold to @cociu :)

• Congratulations. You just created something new on LET: laptop colocation. :)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@William said:
    Sold to @cociu :)

You're taking the battery out, right?

• trewq said: You're taking the battery out, right?

if is not take the cd room i am content :)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2017

In my house - Dedicated 40 Mbit Unmetered Line - Torrenting allowed - 1 IPv4 available(Dynamic or Static - depending on customer's need)

Bigger ports available on request

• @Radi said:
    In my house - Dedicated 40 Mbit Unmetered Line - Torrenting allowed - 1 IPv4 available(Dynamic or Static - depending on customer's need)

wow low speed i have 150/15

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@robinjoo1 said:

@Radi said:

wow low speed i have 150/15

This is best plan I have from ISP 1 in my house.

• edited January 2017

Soonish I'll be able to have 500/50 in my Buenos Aires apartamentos for cheap.
    Some other fibre solutions are already available but are more biz oriented.

• Doing long computational tasks on a laptop isn't a great idea because of their lousy cooling. My old thinkpad used to actually smell bad when I did a big compilation, because of adhesives or lubricants or whatever inside heating up from the prolonged cpu activity. Even i7 servers (I have one at Hetzner) have produced some suspicious results on long computations. I think it's best to use a real server with a Xeon cpu and ECC if you want to do big computing.

I do like the idea of laptop of maybe NUC colo, or some new form factor (blade?) that uses less space than 1U. But power is still an issue.

• @willie said:
    .. a big compilation..

can you post the link?

• @default said:
    Congratulations. You just created something new on LET: laptop colocation. :)

inb4
    laptopcolo.com
    This domain is available!

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Laptop colo is brilliant! Low power, not much space.. Ill start offering that in LT!

• I'm sure if the laptops are reasonably thing then you could get several on in a 1u space ... Only thing that shows warning signs for me here is the danger of having the battery in the laptop explode

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited January 2017

@William said:
    Sold to @cociu :)

For €25 monthly we can do the same at our location Wormer - nearby Amsterdam (AS64427)

• @piohost said:
    Only thing that shows warning signs for me here is the danger of having the battery in the laptop explode

Why does it need a battery when it's 24/7 plugged?

• @randvegeta said:
    Laptop colo is brilliant! Low power, not much space.. Ill start offering that in LT!

Yeah. Brilliant. What a brilliant business case: purchase tons of components that you don't need (displays, batteries, ...) will absolutely make your calculation stand out of the rest.

For the record: there are very small PCs / barebones available that are equipped with power-optimised notebook components.

Thanked by 1willie
  • @deadbeef said:

@piohost said:
    Only thing that shows warning signs for me here is the danger of having the battery in the laptop explode

I think that was the point. To take the battery out before shipping.

• @deadbeef said:

@piohost said:

Most laptops now have them soldered into the body, I have a Lenovo like the OP and my laptop also has the battery inside as it's a unibody design so what I'm saying is the worry is that people may not disconnect it before it goes to colo. of course you wouldn't need it connected as you would have 24/7 AC power it's just not good idea in my eyes.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • what is the incidence of laptop batter explosion compared to ups or server power supply explosions? Just curious if this is a real phenomena?

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • @OhMyMy said:
    what is the incidence of laptop batter explosion compared to ups or server power supply explosions? Just curious if this is a real phenomena?

Google macbook battery swollen