Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel about colcating your NAS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you feel about colcating your NAS?

Thought about Colocating my NAS with some reputable provider close to where I live to just get a better Upload/Download speed if I access it via the Cloud from elsewhere but I still have that feeling even if it is my hw in there anyone could just pull out the drive so I'm feeling more comfortable storing it at home^^ Wbu guys?

Comments

• make the drives crypted ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Marcel40625 said:
    make the drives crypted ;)

Usually I would use VeraCrypt to crypt parts of my drive. What do you use?

• Is it rack mounted? Mine is..3U/16 drive. Do you encrypt every drive on every server you lease or colo? If you dont trust the DC, you dont trust the DC and shouldnt be hosting there.

I would encrypt anything that is personal in nature but I do that now on my local nas..ala tax returns, etc but standard TV Shows and Movies? Who cares.

How you encrypt depends on the OS and if you're looking at full drives or indv files.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • If the data's sensitive then encrypt it as yes anyone with physical access can pull a drive and yes if the DC offers remote hands they will actually do so if asked by someone with enough authority over the account.

I've had DC staff change out hard-drives on Co-lo'd kit before to save me a trip.

• Generally most data centers have some kind of security in place to prevent this, I would ask the DC yourself info about their security and rack access, etc

• If it's sensitive then it shouldn't leave your house. If it leaves your house and goes to datacenter then NSA/GCHQ will be able to access it if they want to.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • tmwctmwc Member
    edited January 2017

If you really want to. Here's my list of pros and cons:

+security (ID systems and etc)

+service

+uptime

-physical access

-authorities can access drives if needed

Thanked by 1Ympker