Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

alternative to digitalocean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

alternative to digitalocean?

gnugeekgnugeek Member
edited May 2013 in General

Hi:
I have been using digitalocean for 5 months and although at the beginning everything was great in the last 2 months i started to have some issues(packet loss, low io, etc). Those issues aren't a big issue for me because im using it just for 2 small sites but they are annoying and also they do not have any yearly payment discount. My question is, is there any GOOD alternative to digital ocean with similar price and specs?. When i say GOOD i mean a company in the business for years and not a new one owned by teenagers with a hipster domain name.

My vps: 512MB 20GB HD SSD (i dont care if its ssd, ssd cached or normal if they have a good speed).
5USD/month

Only interested in kvm or xen

Best regards

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

First of all, do you care about keeping the DO's feature where you can spawn, run and delete VMs billed hourly? If not, and you just want a traditional VPS provider to get one VPS and even pay yearly for it, simply go with one of these: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/lowendbox-top-providers-2013-q1-results/

• Ramnode

• SpeckSpeck Member

@serverian said: Ramnode

• gnugeekgnugeek Member
    edited May 2013

@rm_ i dont care about hourly billing and already checked the top ones. The problem is that digitalocean still win in quality/price. All of them have almost same specs and higher price. Maybe i'm asking too much for just 5USD/month?

• Is digitalocean in business for years?

• gnugeekgnugeek Member

@serverian no, but they made a great marketing campaign and had 20 USD credit for new orders so i gave them a chance. Thats the reason i'm looking for better alternatives after 5 months.

• Well, you can get a similar deal from @AnthonySmith or @Nick_A

• AmitzAmitz Member

Or iPerweb (Prometeus). All 3 would be a great choice!

• klikliklikli Member

Have you let them know the issues you are suffering?

• gnugeekgnugeek Member

klikli: yes, and they said they can't reproduce it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@gnugeek said: All of them have almost same specs and higher price.

How's that? I clicked the link to the top provider list, and the Prometeus offer is $14.5 per 3 months, matches the specs of DO, and on top of that you get 5GB more disk space, 1TB more bandwidth, two CPU cores instead of one, and actual IPv6 support, which is still nowhere in sight on DO.

• klikliklikli Member

Have you tried enabling VirtIO to improve network and I/O performance? link 1 link 2

• gnugeekgnugeek Member
    edited May 2013

rm_: i tried the coupon and said its expired and without it it's 15 euro 3 months. I don't care about ipv6 or +5GB HD.
    klikli: thats the first thing they did and didn't help.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@gnugeek said: tried the coupon and said its expired and without it it's 15 euro 3 months. I don't care about ipv6 or +5GB HD.

Customize your plan here:
    https://my.iperweb.com/cart/customized-kvm/

the smallest one is 512M / 1 core / 15GB / 2TB and is £6.9 / quarter.

:-)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@gnugeek, we'd be happy to have you on board with the several other DO transfers we've taken in over the past few months : ) People want real performance, and that's something we consistently provide. Just stop by our IRC channel and ask around.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

$20= 4 months... Just sayin'

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited May 2013

i used DO just for testing/dev stuffs
    i don'tn put live production there
    they billed hourly that's why i go with them to dev/test my stuffs

for live prod stuffs i would rather got for those conventional vps like as mentioned, ramnode/prometeus/edis and those you can usually see on LEN

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@Nick_A said: People want real performance, and that's something we consistently provide.

RamNode is a quality provider and a great alternative to Digital Ocean. Give them a chance and you won't be disappointed.

• zagizagi Member

Hey guys, Ben from DigitalOcean

@gnugeek make sure that your droplet is using VirtIO - you can confirm this with our support by opening a ticket. That should give you high performance network and disk access.

We've now standardized on VirtIO as the default network driver for all new droplets ensuring maximum performance.

Additionally we've setup some advanced network monitoring and filtering which may have affected performance in the past, now the network is able to respond in real time to attacks delivering consistent performance to our users.

I'd be more than happy to look into the issues you're experiencing, just open a ticket with us and please mention that you'd like to escalate it to Ben from LET post.

Also I just added a new promo code for the lowendtalk community: LET20 -- that'll get you $20 credit when signing up.

Best regards,

Ben

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2013

Darn you with your promo codes Ben.
    Hashtag winning?

Btw I also recommend ramnode. Nothing wrong with digital ocean, and no matter who you are someone else will come along and beat you on performance. That said, ramnode performs better in disk and network, I don't check CPU performance much.

• jellyjelly Member

can those promo codes be used with existing accounts?

• IvanIvan Member
    edited May 2013

DigitalOcean has been giving lots of promo codes and free credit lately... (Y)

• zagizagi Member

@jelly you can use only 1 promo code per account - feel free to direct message me your email address and I'll credit you $10 :)

@Ivan LET20 for a $20 credit on www.digitalocean.com

• prae5prae5 Member

@zagi how do you apply promo codes? i just signed up and was never prompted for a promo code anywhere....?

• zagizagi Member

@prae5 promo codes are applied in the "Add a Credit Card" page. https://www.digitalocean.com/user_payment_profiles/new

• prae5prae5 Member

@zagi - i'm obviously missing something as there isn't an option for that in my account.

I can add a credit card or paypal account, but there is nothing for promo codes.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6VcoDN3.png[/IMG]

• @zagi said: Also I just added a new promo code for the lowendtalk community: LET20 -- that'll get you $20 credit when signing up.

man i got the $10 credit instead of this

• @prae5 said: I can add a credit card or paypal account, but there is nothing for promo codes.

If not mistaken, they are down there

• prae5prae5 Member

@johnlth93 said: @prae5 said: I can add a credit card or paypal account, but there is nothing for promo codes.

If not mistaken, they are down there

Where? Am i being blind and missing something from my screenshot?

• krypskryps Member

@Nick_A said: People want real performance, and that's something we consistently provide. Just stop by our IRC channel and ask around.

I am interested too. However as I understand from your AUP I would not be able to hog CPU cores for any extended period of time. This is something which I do regularly with DO or Amazon EC2. Why don't you implement guaranteed but burstable CPU quotas? And what is an "extended period of time" anyway?