Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[WIP] APP - all your domains
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[WIP] APP - all your domains

alexalex Member
edited May 2013 in General

I decided to write a small app in php to store all the details about the domains I own. I started tinkering with the code and built a semi-functional prototype. Because it looked crappy I wrapped it with Bootstrap and here's a first screenshot:
Here's functionality that is already implemented:

• Storing domains details including address, registrar and registration/renewal dates, comments
  • Storing info about registrars including their address and comments (you can put prices here)
  • Adding new domains
  • Adding new registrars

What I have planned to do:

• Ability to put domains into "folders"
  • Ability to notify when expiration date coming
  • Rewrite it to use a framework such as CodeIgniter or similar (FYI: it's "pure" PHP+MySQL so far)
  • WHOIS when adding domain to save time

What I wanted to ask is if you can think of any functionality that I'm missing and would be good to have in app like this. Any input appreciated :)

Comments

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited May 2013

Looks awesome! Will you be releasing this once finished?

• alexalex Member

I will of course!

• KrisKris Member

@alex said: What I wanted to ask is if you can think of any functionality that I'm missing and would be good to have in app like this. Any input appreciated :)

Maybe have an option to query the domain's for their current name servers (and/or) resolving A names.

Looks good!

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Idea:
    Add Subdomains

example.com
    - sub.example.com
    - sub2.example.com

and then it would be nice to have server status be available for each domain and subdomain.

• alexalex Member
    edited May 2013

@Kris said: Maybe have an option to query the domain's for their current name servers (and/or) resolving A names.

Not a bad idea, was actually thinking about adding a field indicating where it's being hosted.

Add Subdomains

May I ask what would be the advantage of this?

@bcarlsonmedia said: and then it would be nice to have server status be available for each domain and subdomain

Nice? Yes, though I think it would be outside of the scope.

• Awesome App :)

• alexalex Member

Thanks! Any ideas how I could name it?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Definitely awesome little tool :) you could call it Fourcow I can give you the domain fourcow.com for free... most useless domain I ever registered lol.

• Nice, great idea.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

May I ask what would be the advantage of this?

For me, keeping track of multiple subdomains would be nice, especially when working with multiple clients it would be nice to see all the domains/subdomains they have running for internal/external services.

Nice? Yes, though I think it would be outside of the scope.

Yeah, just a thought. Maybe a future project for me. :)

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@alex just curious, is this gonna be open source?

• alexalex Member

certainly!

• wilbowilbo Member

Looks useful. I look forward to you releasing it.

• alexalex Member

Another screenshot

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Pretty!

• DalCompDalComp Member

Nice. Bulk add/edit/delete should be available to save time.

• AndriAndri Member

+1

• @DalComp said: Nice. Bulk add/edit/delete should be available to save time.

+1

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Any idea when this will be out? :D

• DStroutDStrout Member

What's with the numbers in the registrar column? Shouldn't that just be the name of the registrar, possibly with a link to their site?

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@DStrout - I noticed that as well. Figuring that'll be either a.)configurable or b.)the name of the registrar.

• alexalex Member

@DStrout said: What's with the numbers in the registrar column? Shouldn't that just be the name of the registrar, possibly with a link to their site?

It's a reference to registrar id stored in another mysql table. It will be pulled out and the name of registrar will be there.

• alexalex Member

@bcarlsonmedia said: Any idea when this will be out? :D

I am hoping a rough version will be out in few days

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Add users to it, with ability for the admin to limit how much domains a user can have.

• alexalex Member

@FtpIt_Radi said: Add users to it, with ability for the admin to limit how much domains a user can have.

It's for personal use, I don't see the reason for adding different users

@alex, I am thinking of a service, that's why I asked you.

• alexalex Member

I get your point, but to take it to the service level there's a LOT to do. So I'm first hoping to release it in a simple version and then think bigger.

• alexalex Member

Ok, I'm looking forward to testing it on my server.

• bigballbigball Member

I'm dying to try this in my openwrt though. :)