Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap storage Ubuntu 16.04 KVM VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap storage Ubuntu 16.04 KVM VPS

Hi,

I'm happy my current provider but for this particular project I need a Ubuntu 16.04 server and they don't seem to have a template for it. What I'm looking at is:

• VZ Type: KVM or Xen
  • Number of Cores: 1
  • RAM: 1Gb
  • Disk Space: 500Gb
  • DDoS Protection: No
  • Number of IPs: 1
  • Budget:$8/month
  • Biling period: Monthly

Comments

• @Awmusic12635 might be able to do something for you in Seattle

• Have you tried contacting your provider first and asking them for that template?

• Yes, but we're in different time zones and my project is already delayed (I already lost a day because they have a silly limit that prevented me from creating more VMs).

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Since you're using KVM, they should be willing to mount the Ubuntu 16.04 ISO so you can install it on your end.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • SpeedyKVM

• SpeedyKVM = getting wabled

@key900 may help

see if this suits you

1024MB Dedicated RAM
    1x vCPU Dedicated
    500 GB Dedicated HDD space (Raid10 7.2K SAS)
    5TB/Month @ 1 Gbps burstable
    1Gbps uplink
    1x IPv4
    1x IPV6
    Free DNS Hosting + IPV4 rdns Management
    20Gbps DDoS-Shield Mitigation
    KVM/Promox
    $7/month - Coupon : KVMs2
    $20/Quarterly - Coupon : KVMs2Q
    Los Angeles (https://my.letbox.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=30)

Thanked by 2letbox vimalware
  • thanks for the recommendations!

• simonindia said: SpeedyKVM = getting wabled

Honestly speaking, if you fit the below criteria, you won't get "wabled/incero'd" from what I've seen:

1 - You are not outside the US
    2 - You read their ToS
    3 - You are a legitimate user who sends little to no email
    4 - You don't get DDoS'd frequently
    5 - You're willing to share your ID with them
    6 - You don't get all your shit compromised 24/7 because you maintain your servers
    8 - You set your expectations correctly

Now, it's not exactly the LET audience as the majority of LET does not fit all of those guidelines, but obviously it works for them in cutting back on fraud and I've personally had over a year of service with them without so much as a hiccup (along with fast support) before cancelling and moving on to other ventures. If they don't want to do business with every foreign guy from LET because of higher fraud risks, so be it. I agree that they could be nicer about it but at the end of the day, your $5 is not worth the effort their support would have to put into verifying high-risk users and making exceptions. I'm willing to be that if you that if you bumped your usage up to 3-4 figures monthly on dedi/colo terms, they'll spend the extra man-hours on verifying that you are legitimate instead of just cancelling you.

• @Jonchun said:

simonindia said: SpeedyKVM = getting wabled

Honestly speaking, if you fit the below criteria, you won't get "wabled/incero'd" from what I've seen:

1 - You are not outside the US
    2 - You read their ToS
    3 - You are a legitimate user who sends little to no email
    4 - You don't get DDoS'd frequently
    5 - You're willing to share your ID with them
    6 - You don't get all your shit compromised 24/7 because you maintain your servers
    8 - You set your expectations correctly

Now, it's not exactly the LET audience as the majority of LET does not fit all of those guidelines, but obviously it works for them in cutting back on fraud and I've personally had over a year of service with them without so much as a hiccup (along with fast support) before cancelling and moving on to other ventures. If they don't want to do business with every foreign guy from LET because of higher fraud risks, so be it. I agree that they could be nicer about it but at the end of the day, your $5 is not worth the effort their support would have to put into verifying high-risk users and making exceptions. I'm willing to be that if you that if you bumped your usage up to 3-4 figures monthly on dedi/colo terms, they'll spend the extra man-hours on verifying that you are legitimate instead of just cancelling you.

I understand that they have an get infra but they are PITA for normal people to deal with and getting in their bad side is easy even without doing anything wrong. People getting awful experience because they wanna enforce their "Policy" they can be what ever they want

But i just wanna warn new users to their platform

• I've seen so many people who do "yum/apt-get install redis" and then "service redis start", then go away for a while and come back to find their VPS has been compromised and was trying to send out a UDP Flood DoS attack, there are other exploits too but I just seem to see a lot of that one.

• @simonindia said:
    I understand that they have an get infra but they are PITA for normal people to deal with

The definition of "normal" is subjective. Around these parts, its normal to see a lot of Indian and Chinese users looking for the cheapest service possible. That may not be the target audience for a lot of American businesses that want to deal mainly with clients they consider "normal".

and getting in their bad side is easy even without doing anything wrong.

Its not their "bad side". It's just that as explained, if something is even slightly fishy about your signup, it is going to be more cost effective to cancel you and cease all communication than to individually review each case and take risks based on personal judgement. Again, try spending closer to 4 figures with them and I'm betting they won't just cease communication and will at least put some effort into verifying you are not fraud and earning your business. If you've ever spoken to incero's support, just about every member is knowledgeable and is capable of being a L1-L2 sysadmin (no, not the outsourced kind that reads cpanel documentation and hopes for the best) or DC tech. Those types of hires aren't cheap and I can see why they wouldn't want employees wasting time trying to sort things out with rajesh who signed up with a DO proxy and a virtual cc with a maxmind of 80.

People getting awful experience because they wanna enforce their "Policy" they can be what ever they want

Their policies are pretty clear. Not sure why you're complaining that it gets enforced.

You should at least be fair when warning them though. Especially when the OP looks like he would potentially be a good fit for the service.

*disclaimer: I'm not normally one to jump in on the let's hate/love incero train, but I'm getting tired of people ignoring the facts and just spouting random crap about how incero does ______ and how they won't work with their clients. I personally disagree with their methods because I think even the smaller clients deserve support (up to a reasonable extent of course) but on the other hand, incero runs a much more successful enterprise than I do so they're probably the ones making better business decisions ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Jonchun said:

@simonindia said:
    I understand that they have an get infra but they are PITA for normal people to deal with

The definition of "normal" is subjective. Around these parts, its normal to see a lot of Indian and Chinese users looking for the cheapest service possible. That may not be the target audience for a lot of American businesses that want to deal mainly with clients they consider "normal".

and getting in their bad side is easy even without doing anything wrong.

Its not their "bad side". It's just that as explained, if something is even slightly fishy about your signup, it is going to be more cost effective to cancel you and cease all communication than to individually review each case and take risks based on personal judgement. Again, try spending closer to 4 figures with them and I'm betting they won't just cease communication and will at least put some effort into verifying you are not fraud and earning your business. If you've ever spoken to incero's support, just about every member is knowledgeable and is capable of being a L1-L2 sysadmin (no, not the outsourced kind that reads cpanel documentation and hopes for the best) or DC tech. Those types of hires aren't cheap and I can see why they wouldn't want employees wasting time trying to sort things out with rajesh who signed up with a DO proxy and a virtual cc with a maxmind of 80.

People getting awful experience because they wanna enforce their "Policy" they can be what ever they want

Their policies are pretty clear. Not sure why you're complaining that it gets enforced.

You should at least be fair when warning them though. Especially when the OP looks like he would potentially be a good fit for the service.

*disclaimer: I'm not normally one to jump in on the let's hate/love incero train, but I'm getting tired of people ignoring the facts and just spouting random crap about how incero does ______ and how they won't work with their clients. I personally disagree with their methods because I think even the smaller clients deserve support (up to a reasonable extent of course) but on the other hand, incero runs a much more successful enterprise than I do so they're probably the ones making better business decisions ;)

Lets leave Indian's and Chinese out of the equation and Oh rajesh too.

B'cos "Rajesh" uses proxy and is mostly fraud so let's focus on others

So you are good how they are and you love their techs for how knowledgeable and services no issues b'cos you had a great service I too feel the same about some hosts i work with that's ok

But turning an blind eye to wabled legitimate people like me or every other in LET is not my type

when i see some legitimate client being given a hard time for no good reason then my trust them evaporates that's all

But when i see members from here being roughed off for no good reason

I'm being fair for all its there to say about them I even said they have an great Infra that doesn't give them right to be jerks to paying clients

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited January 2017

If I wanted to not deal with Support at all, I'd use Kimsufi. (even their support responses have exceeded my minimal expectations personally)

I only use Incero network via resellers.

That should tell you everything about my personal experiences. YMMV

• @simonindia said:
    Lets leave Indian's and Chinese out of the equation and Oh rajesh too.
    B'cos "Rajesh" uses proxy and is mostly fraud so let's focus on others

Why would you do that? That's huge percentage of customers in this specific market. I realize that from your username, I can guess you're from India and your feelings might be hurt a little, but at the end of the day, it doesn't change anything I've said.

But turning an blind eye to wabled legitimate people like me or every other in LET is not my type

Are you even reading? It doesn't matter if YOU are legitimate. Your budget of <$7/mo simply is not worth someone having to evaluate your credentials, make a judgement call, and deal with the aftermath should they have been wrong. Just do the math.

I'm being fair for all its there to say about them I even said they have an great Infra that doesn't give them right to be jerks to paying clients

Actually, it does give them the right. In order to keep their infrastructure great, they're obviously taking very stringent measures to keep quality up. Part of this includes strict fraud/abuse screening.

@vimalware said:
    If I wanted to not deal with Support at all, I'd use Kimsufi. (even their support responses have exceeded my minimal expectations personally)

Except Incero actually does respond quickly (within hours) if you have a real problem.

I only use Incero network via resellers.

That should tell you everything about my personal experiences. YMMV

That's fair enough. But it also means you trust them to not instantly cancel the services of whoever is reselling their services because you've recognized that they have pretty specific guidelines and that you may not meet them. AND THAT'S OK. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Anyways, I think I'll stop posting on this topic before the drama war continues.

@marpada:
    Sorry about the thread derailment. Just be very careful about where you host this as with everyone moving to SSD based VPS, it can be difficult to find proper HDD based VPS hosting.

Thanked by 1vimalware