Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dr. Server Los Angeles Services Discontinued
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

dr. Server Los Angeles Services Discontinued

TomTom Member
edited January 2017 in General

Just got this email:

Dear customers,

>

As per management decision, Los Angeles services are discontinued effective immediately. We are now migrating VPS-es to our flagship location – Dallas with Incero. We are offering two options: If you choose to keep the migrated VPS, you will get 3 months free extension of your service. If you choose to cancel the VM, you will get pro-rated refunds for VPS subscriptions which go over 31st of January. You need to send a ticket with your decision, otherwise we will assume that you chose the migration route.

>

Thank you for your cooperation, drServer.net

"discontinued effective immediately"

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

Comments

• I like how they thank people for 'cooperation.'

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2017

VMs will stay online until 31st of January at least after the migrations are complete.

• Radi said: VMs will stay online until 31st of January at least.

They didn't explicitly say that, though.

I assume they will migrate VPS in small batches from now until the end of the month. They certainly didn't communicate the how part very well.

• Getting out of the Chinese low-ping market and into good USA/anywhere connectivity market.

Good luck Drserver.
    Could be a good thing for team's mental health (support load)

• They need a doctor

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, does it matter?
    People complain when they are given ample time to move.
    People complain when they aren't given any time to move.

Might as well just shut it down. People will complain either way.

• @Radi: Please reply ticket 877562

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2017

Are there really complains here from anybody? They decided to discontinue a location. They offer a migration to another US location giving 3 months of free service! They give a month time-window to be able to move his vm elsewhere if someone wants not to migrate to the new location AND a pro-rated refund for what he has pay.
    This is an excellent behavior from Andrej/DrServer. Wish all the providers had such approach when changing some of their products.

Thanked by 1Blazing
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"As per management decision,"

What a horrible way to start an email to your customers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

One of those situation where you cant please everyone I guess, some people like notice of notice, then notice, then a reminder, then a second reminder, then a third reminder, then a confirmation it has been done, then option to reverse the actions for at least a month while getting at least 5 reminders that month, all of which should be done by phone call, sms, email, twitter, facebook, WHT, LET.

Then there are those who just get on with it.

• AnthonySmith said: One of those situation where you cant please everyone I guess, some people like notice of notice, then notice, then a reminder, then a second reminder, then a third reminder, then a confirmation it has been done, then option to reverse the actions for at least a month while getting at least 5 reminders that month, all of which should be done by phone call, sms, email, twitter, facebook, WHT, LET.

...And again, some of them will tell "he could do better"!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @raindog308 said:

I've joked many times about offering a communication-writing service for LET-hosts, but I'm seriously starting to think the idea has legs...

• @Nekki said:

@raindog308 said:

I've joked many times about offering a communication-writing service for LET-hosts, but I'm seriously starting to think the idea has legs...

Caps lock. ON.

• Disappearing overnight is the one True LET way to discontinue a location.

It is known.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

VortexMagnus said: Caps lock. ON.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

• @raindog308 said:

VortexMagnus said: Caps lock. ON.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sadly, all my releases are immediate :-(

Thanked by 2netomx Junkless
  • @Nekki said: Sadly, all my releases are immediate :-(

Poor Sandra.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    One of those situation where you cant please everyone I guess, some people like notice of notice, then notice, then a reminder, then a second reminder, then a third reminder, then a confirmation it has been done, then option to reverse the actions for at least a month while getting at least 5 reminders that month, all of which should be done by phone call, sms, email, twitter, facebook, WHT, LET.

Then there are those who just get on with it.

Some people still didn't "notice" that we are closing our HKG location.... 2 emails reminder, public announcement, forums post, etc. :(

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Radi: which IP range is LA VPS? I have 8 VPS with drserver but dont know they are at LA or TX :)

@sonic None of them is in LA. All in TX. You are not affected by this.

• @jvnadr said:
    Are there really complains here from anybody? They decided to discontinue a location. They offer a migration to another US location giving 3 months of free service! They give a month time-window to be able to move his vm elsewhere if someone wants not to migrate to the new location AND a pro-rated refund for what he has pay.
    This is an excellent behavior from Andrej/DrServer. Wish all the providers had such approach when changing some of their products.

Because their last migration went so damn well...

• teamacc said: Because their last migration went so damn well...

Wasn't that where the server died and the other one with upstream issues? Not really planned migrations IIRC

• @William said:

teamacc said: Because their last migration went so damn well...

Wasn't that where the server died and the other one with upstream issues? Not really planned migrations IIRC

If memory serves me right, then the migrated server also developed some raid issues a month later or so (with the migration not completed)

edited January 2017

@teamacc It was only one of them. One server of 3-node-cluster decided to go mad. I migrated people to 3 node cluster unplanned, and part of VPS are left on old node. I may do one more planned migration once our new storage bigger node is online.