Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Server recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server recommendations

kameleonkameleon Member
edited January 2017 in General

I am looking to replace my current storage server at home with something a little newer and would love ya'lls input. Currently I have an old Dell Poweredge 1900 tower server with dual xeon E5310's and 12GB ram total. Disk are 6x 2TB sata's in a riad 5 for storage and 2x 300GB sas 15k in a raid 1 for the OS/boot drive. I use this server as my storage server and replicated backups are on this server. The replacement server could pull double duty and serve as a vm server (replacing my custom built PC that does vm duty currently) if it packs enough horsepower.

Here is what I am looking for:

Prefer tower but rack is doable if cheaper
dual socket cpu (quad core cpu's preferred)
capability of more than 32GB ram (doesn't have to come with it out of the box)
used preferred (because CHEAP!)
Would like 8x 3.5" hot swap bays but less is possible as long as I can fit huge space in them
SATA capable controller

I have been scouring ebay but there are so many things out there I can not possibly find them all so I turn to you LET. Can we put our collective eyes on this and find me the best deal possible? I am in the US so shipping should be factored in on that.

Comments

• Get a case that you like and that has room and the kind of disk bays (hot swap, sideways fixed, ...), and a reasonable main board and build it yourself.

For cases you might like Lian Li; good quality, many variations, diverse drive bays (with easy mounting/slide in). Maybe buy a redundant power supply.
    For a main board a decent Atom 27xx based board (asrock, asus, or on the professional end supermicro) should do fine (Reason: for a home server you do care whether it eats 300W for the cpus or 50W plus a storage server doesn't need much of processor power).
    Finally, get a decent raid controller if you feel that software raid isn't good enough.