Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving to Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving to Dedicated Server

bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
edited May 2013 in Help

Hey All,
I'm thinking about moving all my VPS over to a dedicated server. I've recently had an issue with providers not being reliable on their side.

Any disadvantages to running my webserver and a few python scripts on a dedi instead of on VPS?

Thanks ahead of time

Comments

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited May 2013

@bcarlsonmedia said: Any disadvantages to running my webserver and a few python scripts on a dedi instead of on VPS?

None except price, probably. You could also, in theory, create containers on your dedi if you wanted to separate your webserver and personal projects.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

That's what I was thinking of doing. I'll probably split it into 3 separate containers.

• haphanhaphan Member

Huge disadvantage is that you can not easily reload OS. Some providers even charge for OS reload.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Well, I'm thinking keep my NS Servers and then move web and others to an atom dedi.

I shouldn't need to reinstall the OS once it's stable. I just need Ubuntu 13.04 and I'll be happy.

• @bcarlsonmedia said: I've recently had an issue with providers not being reliable on their side.

Although it'd be less likely an issue you can still have issues with the dedicated provider being not reliable.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

My issues have mainly been with node stability and completely preventable things happening.

But yes, let's just hope that for the amount more I'll be paying I'll get better performance.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Ordered the dedicated server. It came with 5 IPs. The ironic part is that I'm actually saving IPs by ordering this, my VPS have about 8 right now.

• ATHKATHK Member

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

These are really good IMHO, I've got the KS R-16G and it's stable as a cat on a window sill.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited May 2013

Yeah, not a big fan of the whole verification thing on those. I ended up going with the wholesale internet 19/month servers. I don't need anything fancy, just a web server that can handle some python.

Plus, this has 100mb connection and is in the US.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Jack said: My Suggestions for a dedicated server would go to @QPS they have some great deals which include 5 IPs for your

@bcarlsonmedia said: I'll probably split it into 3 separate containers.

and from only $39.99!

We have Core 2 Quad Q9550 servers in Atlanta for $39.99 per month, or Dual Xeon L5420 servers in Atlanta for $49 per month. PM me if you are interested.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@qps any atom or similar? I'm looking to go max $30 a month.

• For you i will suggest definitely OVH, low prices and lot of goodies, self server reloads etc. You are not going to host anybody else, so no chance of messing up with anything.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

What's nice about a dedicated server is that you're the only customer on the box. No matter how good your VPS provider is, it's still a shared environment.

That said, glad you found a good deal at Wholesale Internet. They're an awesome provider. I don't recommend OVH, however; I'm glad you didn't go to them!

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@shovenose Yeah. I've learned my lesson. If you need dedicated resources, don't go with a VPS, especially OVZ VPS.

OVH seems to be hit or miss and Wholesale seems to be fairly good.

• MunMun Member

Could always set up a cluster of VPSs :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@bcarlsonmedia yeah, in fact I ordered two of the Atom servers that were on sale, one with 1x1TB and one with 2x500GB both are $34/month. Could I have got a server at OVH with similar or better specs? Yes! Do I like OVH? Nope. Wholesale Internet actually cares about having you as a customer, unlike OVH.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@bcarlsonmedia said: any atom or similar? I'm looking to go max $30 a month.

Not right now. The cheapest we have is the Core 2 Quad Q9550 at $39.99.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@shovenose - Very much agreed. I'm not a big fan of OVH either. I'm sure the people at Wholesale are having fun right now, I orders 2 as well, imagine how many other people did as well.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@qps - I'll take a look at that. I just ordered 2 at wholesale so I'll need to check my budget.