Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about hosting out some idle servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking about hosting out some idle servers

vishvish Member

I have a few servers I have purchased over the years for various projects that are now sitting idle. I don't want to cancel them as they have some really nice discounts and I'm sure I'll find a use for them eventually. But at the same time the costs are adding up and I'm thinking maybe I can set them up with proxmox and host out some KVM / LXC containers so that I end up breaking even on the monthly bills.

I would like to get some feedback from anyone with first hand knowledge. I'm not worried about the technical side of things, I've got experience setting it up and supporting it. I'm just wondering if this is a good idea in general. Is it frowned upon in the community since I'm not a provider? Is it something that people would even be interested in?

Comments

• I suggest giving out some vestacp or directadmin based shared / reseller accounts.

• So.. the thing to consider is:

why would anyone host with you when their VM can poof at any time once you've found another use for the servers?

If the costs are adding up, just drop the server if you have no use. Donate resources to a good cause (like archiving) or setup some type of service. Don't launch a summerhost.

• What are the specs?

• anappanapp Member
    edited December 2016

Jonchun said: If the costs are adding up, just drop the server if you have no use.

+100 :)

also you can setup vpn and use subscription model like 0.5$ per month for 1gb .

setup saas app

make them your private cloud storage > save important doc , images

• Give me some space on there pls? Haha

• @Jonchun Thank you for the feedback, some very valid points. I definitely don't want to be a summerhost.

@willie e5-1620 64gb 2x2tb

• Donate them to a good cause if you don't want to cancel them, or just cancel them

• @vish -so you don't have the time to set them up for the person you'd most want to benefit - yourself? but you will make time to set them up and just break even? Might want to prioritize yourself perhaps or just rent out the servers by themselves and don't do all the virtualization and get all the hassles of small dollar clients with high dollar wishes.

Thanked by 1vish
  • williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

I could imagine being interested in something like that for short term cpu-intensive tasks from time to time, sort of like AWS spot instances but probably for 1-2 week stretches (if I wanted a full month I'd spin up a Hetzner auction dedi). I don't know if there's enough similar users for that to be a business plan, though. What's the location?

• Great feedback, thanks for the input. Exactly what I was looking for. Have a happy new years guys!

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

One option is to rent out your whole servers? Act as a reseller. Or do VPS servers on them.