Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redstation co-location price increase
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Redstation co-location price increase

CameronCameron Member
edited May 2013 in General

So, I'm not sure if you have heard but Redstation are increasing their co-location pricing this month.

Here is the current plan I'm on:

1U shared colo
100mbps @ 12TB
0.4amps of power
32IPv4

Old price: £45/month (£54 after VAT)

New price: £107/month (£128.40 after VAT), that's an increase of 137.77% Can you believe it?! (I can't)... This just now makes providing my services within the UK not feasible.

My question is, does anyone know of any decent co-location providers that won't up their prices after being a customer for a year? If not, seems providing a service within the UK is just not going to continue, great way to lose business guys!

Comments

• MartinDMartinD Member

Have they given a reason for more than doubling the price? Sure you weren't on some kind of honeymoon deal?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Redstation will die within 3 years that is my prediction, they are eating their own face slowly.

The geniuses also insist on shutting your server down for 4 - 8 hours just to 'hot swap' a proven dead disk on a raid 10 array :)

Don't walk away, RUN!

• CameronCameron Member

@MartinD said: Have they given a reason for more than doubling the price? Sure you weren't on some kind of honeymoon deal?

Nope, no honeymoon deal here! I did phone them regarding the increase and they simply put it down to "increase costs". It's crazy though, I can rent a dedicated server from them of a similar specifications for about the same price as the co-location, using my own hardware!

• CameronCameron Member
    edited May 2013

@AnthonySmith said: The geniuses also insist on shutting your server down for 4 - 8 hours just to 'hot swap' a proven dead disk on a raid 10 array :)

Oh yes! you know, hotswap is scary stuff. Let me also talk about the time "my server was dead"!

About 1AM UK time a few months back I got a nice amount of emails stating that my server was down (thanks pingdom <3) I quickly alerted Redstation about this so they could investigate. They did reply fairly quickly I have to say, however stating that they can not ping my server and they they have rebooted it and it's still not responding. They then claimed that my server was having issues and that a tech could look at it for a nice £75 an hour!

So about an hour after this, it magically came back to life! They later explained that a customer of theirs had unplugged the network switch in the shared rack (took them an hour to detect that? WOW!)

I do however have to say putting problems aside the network is great but still doesn't justify the pricing increase!

@AnthonySmith said: Don't walk away, RUN!

To where, that is the question!

• jhjh Member

Is this for Fareham or Docklands?

• CameronCameron Member
    edited May 2013

@jhadley said: Is this for Fareham or Docklands?

This is for Gosport, Portsmouth.

• @Cameron said: They then claimed that my server was having issues and that a tech could look at it for a nice £75 an hour!

Did they refund you?

I found their network to be fairly poor actually made up of cheap cheap transit, but you could try RapidSwitch or have a conversation with @sean from OpenITC if you want colo in the UK he will no doubt sort you out in Either Maidenhead or Newcastle.

• jhjh Member

@Cameron said: This is for Gosport, Portsmouth.

That's pretty outrageous. The land that DC is sitting on is dirt cheap. Got a customer with servers in there so I'll be checking the situation with him.

• CameronCameron Member

@concerto49 said: Did they refund you?

I didn't buy the support!

@jhadley said: That's pretty outrageous. The land that DC is sitting on is dirt cheap. Got a customer with servers in there so I'll be checking the situation with him.

Seemed a bit like floodplain land, was very flat!

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

Try contacting Custodian or Pulsant

• Give Custodian a try, I've heard nothing but good about them.

• seansean Member

Hi Cameron,

We can sort you out with co-location in Newcastle, Maidenhead or London no problem. We have our own IPs from RIPE and are generally cheaper than RapidSwitch direct due to bulk discounts.

• Do you know if this is a general price increase or just a price increase for you? Are definitely staying within your power/bw usage month to month?

• CameronCameron Member
    edited May 2013

@CheapVPS said: Do you know if this is a general price increase or just a price increase for you? Are definitely staying within your power/bw usage month to month?

Here is the letter I had received.

Interesting to see I've got "unmetered power" now. Was 0.4 amps when I signed up!

• Tell them to get f***ed :)

There IP pricing is ridiculous as well compared to what it used to be.

£40 p/TB..... Are they high?

Also that is no where near enough notice for such a huge price hike.

• CameronCameron Member

@AnthonySmith said: Also that is no where near enough notice for such a huge price hike.

The letter was sent in January, yes I have acted rather slow on it as I was previously going to just "deal with it" however now plans have changed.

Oh I missed the date sorry.

If they think 1TB is worth £40 just ask them to take 2TB off your allowance and reduce the bill by £80 :)

• jhjh Member

Or take 3 off and start paying you for the privilege of housing your server

• PatrickPatrick Member

Or/and ask them reduce power from "unlimited" to 0.4A as you need and your bill thereafter

• £40 per TB is expensive but it's important to bear in mind that this is 'overage' bandwidth. If you paid up front for a chunk of bandwidth or at least discussed with them your usage before the end of the month then it would probably be a lot cheaper.

The reason overage is a lot higher is because by the nature of it the provider can't factor it in to their normal monthly DC usage and therefore can't predict it (and depending on how they are setup, might themselves need to pay for it as an overage)

I'm not defending them or anything, but it's important to know most places charge higher for overage (paying after the fact) than they do if you discuss usage/buy up front.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@CheapVPS said: £40 per TB is expensive but it's important to bear in mind that this is 'overage' bandwidth

Overage or not, it's not reasonable. This is default with every colo plan I believe, there is nothing to discuss with them.

• I agree it's not a reasonable price but the point i'm making still stands. They probably price it so high to encourage you to not rely on overages which potentially cost them more than if you pay up front.

• CameronCameron Member

I'm pretty sure that the old overage costs first agreed were £20 per 1TB, so that has increased too

• JacobJacob Member

Is this a single server you have colocated then?

• It's 1U so probably

• IshaqIshaq Member

Exactly, what they're doing to either make more profit or get a return from expansions isn't fair for customers.

• EvixoEvixo Member
    edited May 2013

Maybe they base their price on the power amps in the contract (which in your case is unlimited)?