Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disparites in DNS NameCheap Premium DNS versus Cloudflare
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disparites in DNS NameCheap Premium DNS versus Cloudflare

ljsealsljseals Member
edited December 2016 in Providers

There has been much discussion but no concrete site evidence for Name Cheap Premium DNS servers. I had a subscription to their service and when optimizing my site saw a lot of latency in the dns time. Highest time for dns was around 256 ms from a Seattle based server.

To give further evidence latency dns test for their own domain were roughly half of what I was getting meaning if I got 256 ms the were getting around 128 which is slow considering they are reported to have around 72 ms. This suggests that they throttling their dns service for end users.

I asked if they could optimize the setting of the server but was told that I was in the normal range, which begs the question what is "premium" about this service? I changed to Cloudflare free dns servers and was amazed at the speed increase. For example, the Seattle based server is only 6 ms.

While it was only $4.00 there is probably little to no benefit in the premium service as compared with their regular name service. While on the other hand Cloudflare which seems a little gimmicky to me for some reason has some very fast dns times. In order to get the dns only you need to pause the website for that feature. While I do not particularly want to go through them for DNS it is a very fast service for free.

To conclude if anyone is searching the internets for "Namecheap Premium DNS" or does "Namecheap Premium DNS Work" or even "IS Namecheap Premium DNS Worth It." Please no that is not and you would get better performance and reliability with "FREE" Cloudflare dns service.

Also they will blame you not matter what evidence you show and not give your money back!

This is a public service announcement. God bless you!

Comments

• iirc it's not namecheap directly providing it, it's contracted with another company....?

• I've been using the free dns from namecheap and other registrars and it's been ok. For higher end dns some people around here have suggested rage4.

• For the value Cloudflare provides excellent service for free. They have anti-ddos and are near the top for fastest dns providers. It seems that this would be the best value for someone who is looking to tweak speed on a budget.

However, dnsmadeeasy gets top ranks but can cost close to 50 or so.

• dnsmadeeasy is 29/yr for 10 domains - not 50

Thanked by 1ljseals
  • Sorry made a mistake as their business class is the first that jumps out at you and it is 59 dollars. Don't mean to confuse anyone but for the price Cloudflare is even better than DNSmadeeasy. God bless you! Going off memory only...

• DXDDXD Member
    edited December 2016

Just for the record,

Namecheap's Premium DNS is actually Verisign Premium DNS.
    Which is VERY GOOD.

Compared to Cloudflare it lacks some features like round robin and other stuff but in general if you are looking to a effective Premium DNS then Verisign is your guy.

According to my test :

US - <1-15ms

Europe - except RO - 1-8ms

Asia - except china - 2-22ms

China mainland - 4-30ms

South America - 11ms from brazil rest >20ms with worst upto 160ms

Africa - tested from South africa only - 2ms

have not tested for oceania.

I tested from :

US - east coast

US - central

US - west coast

EU - NL

EU - DE

EU - RU

EU - UK

EU - IT

ASIA - SG

ASIA - HK

ASIA - ID

ASIA - MY

ASIA - IN

ASIA - TH

China Mainland - Aliyun cloud don't know exact location.

Africa - SA

South America - Brazil

South America - Argentina

South America - Chile

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited December 2016

There is a difference as this is Namecheap and not Verisign. While Verisign may be indeed that provider they may have too many people crammed on it. So to take Verisign and transpose it to Namecheap is not only misleading but dishonest.

Namecheap told me that 140ms is normal. That my friend is not a premium service.

• @DXD said:
    Just for the record,

Which is VERY GOOD.

Compared to Cloudflare it lacks some features like round robin and other stuff but in general if you are looking to a effective Premium DNS then Verisign is your guy.

According to my test :

US - <1-15ms

China mainland - 4-30ms

I tested from :

US - east coast

US - central

US - west coast

EU - NL

EU - DE

EU - RU

EU - UK

EU - IT

ASIA - SG

ASIA - HK

ASIA - ID

ASIA - MY

ASIA - IN

ASIA - TH

Africa - SA

South America - Brazil

South America - Chile

@DXD said:
    Just for the record,

Which is VERY GOOD.

According to my test :

US - <1-15ms

China mainland - 4-30ms

I tested from :

US - east coast

US - central

US - west coast

EU - NL

EU - DE

EU - RU

EU - UK

EU - IT

ASIA - SG

ASIA - HK

ASIA - ID

ASIA - MY

ASIA - IN

ASIA - TH

Africa - SA

South America - Brazil

South America - Chile

@DXD said:
    Just for the record,

Which is VERY GOOD.

According to my test :

US - <1-15ms

China mainland - 4-30ms

I tested from :

US - east coast

US - central

US - west coast

EU - NL

EU - DE

EU - RU

EU - UK

EU - IT

ASIA - SG

ASIA - HK

ASIA - ID

ASIA - MY

ASIA - IN

ASIA - TH

Africa - SA

South America - Brazil

South America - Chile

For the record did you test Verisign Premium DNS or soley Namecheap Premium DNS as there is a huge difference if you are getting those times.

NameCheap ≠ Verisign

Using that logic if I had a server from Amazon I could claim that we use Amazon Cloud services but if I crammed two million domains on one server the performance is not going to be the same.

Thanked by 1willie
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Have used it; in some cases its slower than their Basic DNS; also had issues with some records disappearing from the authoritative nameserver for some reason!

Pavin.

• @DXD said:

Which is VERY GOOD.

For AU and NZ it seems the closest serving locations are Hong Kong and Japan.

So approx 120-160ms depending where you are exactly and what your ISP's network is like.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

Used namecheap's free DNS service before and occasionally was down due to DDOS and performance was like you're describing, this was about 2-3 years ago.

I would go for cloudflare, they're always amongst the fastest resolve times and free ;) DME is also great if you need more features.

Here's a DNS performance comparison for last month: http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/2016/11

Thanked by 1ljseals
  • Funfact; Namecheap used Cloudflare for months(maybe a year?) because of DDoS. Dosen't seem like they use them anymore tho.

I would have 50ms with Namecheap's Premium DNS, with Cloudflare I have 20ms. I will stick with Cloudflare, it's awesome. Love their statuspage, https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/ and they have tons of locations compared to Namecheap/Verisign.