Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High ram instances and cpu usage abuse
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High ram instances and cpu usage abuse

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited May 2013 in General

So I'm curious, suppose you bought this 4gb ram instance.

No, not one of those 5bucks-4gbram-oversold instances, I'm talking about, paying $10+/1gb ram instances. I'm not referring to instances with less than 3gb ram either.

Do you think it would be considered abuse if you kept a load of 1.00 all the time? I mean, I really don't see how this would be abuse considering that it's kinda hard finding any application that wouldn't use 3gb ram+ without a high load?

I'm just curious, I tend to buy 2gb ram instances and I keep a constant load of 0.3

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@skirtTight said: I'm just curious, I tend to buy 2gb ram instances and I keep a constant load of 0.3

Depends on your host to be honest. Some do not mind the occasional high load if you are paying a bit more than the LEB range. Others do not mind high load if you pay miles more.

Others will not like it. Full stop.

:)

• Thanks, by constant I'm talking about 24/7 365

• I'd raise a sales ticket and ask them, but either way using a dedicated cpu would have to be agreed upon and cost more than even $10/1GB. You're talking about 1/4 of a 4 core server with a 1.00 load constantly.

• unusedunused Member

Use a Linode for this

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@concerto49 said: a dedicated cpu would have to be agreed upon and cost more than even $10/1GB. You're talking about 1/4 of a 4 core server with a 1.00 load constantly.

@skirtTight yes, do that first of course.

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited May 2013

@concerto49 said: I'd raise a sales ticket and ask them, but either way using a dedicated cpu would have to be agreed upon and cost more than even $10/1GB. You're talking about 1/4 of a 4 core server with a 1.00 load constantly.

How could you take advanatge of at least 3.5gb ram on a 50 bucks instance without going past a load of .8? It's not like everyone in the node will keep such load.

disregard mc

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@skirtTight said: disregard mc

use for cache?

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

We have enough cpu's on our servers that we can allow this for very large instances.. we have a few 5gb customers that run 1-2 on the load, not constant, but we can manage it well enough.