Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I left Linode after 4 years ...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I left Linode after 4 years ...

sdotsensdotsen Member
edited May 2013 in General

I normally don't write reviews but I wanted to give props to @jeff_lfcvps and company for offering great services.

I run a SaaS app that resided on Linode for over 2 years. However, I've been a client of Linode for over 4 years where I hosted various personal sites and a mail server for myself and my family. Once I found this community, I was on a mission to save money and find a decent host that wasn't going to fold within a year let alone months. I also wanted to find a provider that offered Xen services with a private IP.

I'm happy to say that I've switched all my VPSes over to LFCVPS (www.lfcvps.com). I was hesitant at first to leave Linode for a "smaller," shop but I sent various emails to support and sales and my tickets were answered promptly. I recall a pre-sales ticket was answered on a Sunday evening when they clearly stated that sales questions would be answered during normal business hours. Anyways, I got what I wanted (Xen w/ private IPs) with a third of the cost of Linode's smallest plan.

Tonight, I finished migrating over my last VPS and cancelled my Linode account. Bittersweet moment when I clicked the "Canceled" button but I don't regret my decision one bit.

Comments

• MunMun Member

LFCVPS?

• sdotsensdotsen Member

www.lfcvps.com

• SpencerSpencer Member

I love lfcvps, one of my favorite xen hosts

• marcmmarcm Member

@sdotsen - How much are you saving per month now that you have switched away from Linode?

• sdotsensdotsen Member
    edited May 2013

I found a "promo" link on lowendbox for $6.95/month. I had considered your company at one point but was told private ips were not an available feature.

I was paying close to $70 a month for 3 VPS accounts (768mb plan). This was prior to their RAM upgrade.

• Thank you for the nice comments :)

• marcmmarcm Member

@sdotsen said: I had considered your company at one point but was told private ips were not an available feature.

We just started implementing private IPs. That's no problem, LFCVPS is a solid provider.

I was honestly curious about what you saved by moving away from Linode. I'm out of touch with their pricing as I find it unrealistic anyway.

@sdotsen said: I was paying close to $70 a month for 3 VPS accounts (768mb plan). This was prior to their RAM upgrade.

It was about time and looks like they killed those stupid "in-between plans".

LFCVPS was a good choice, congrats and welcome to LowEndTalk :-)

• MunMun Member

Please don't tell me you use tripplite UPS units.

• I should mention in case anyone is curious, it's actually a private vlan and you get to assign your own IPs (IPv4 or IPv6) within it. It's not just internal IPs on a shared vlan with other clients.

• sdotsensdotsen Member

@jeff_lfcvps said: I should mention in case anyone is curious, it's actually a private vlan and you get to assign your own IPs (IPv4 or IPv6) within it. It's not just internal IPs on a shared vlan with other clients.

Yep, I was shocked when the ticket said I could assign any non-routable IPs to the second NIC. With Linode I believe my internal IPs were shared with other clients so I had to lock things down with iptables. :-)

• twaintwain Member

@sdotsen - that would be really difficult to believe that linode would setup their pvlans that way.

• sdotsensdotsen Member

Oh it is (or maybe was). My private IPs were random, meaning they weren't next to one another (eg 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.120). I remember opening a ticket with them because I was able to ping someone else's IP. I definitely had to use iptables to lock it down.

• twaintwain Member

@sdotsen - that's absolutely nuts then.. wow

• Yeah, not a lot of point in having an internal network if you have to share it with others :)

• kampungkampung Member

@jeff_lfcvps
    Can you give test IP for your montreal DC?