Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS in UK but not in or near London
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS in UK but not in or near London

I'm in need of a vps in the UK, but not in or near London:

4 cpu cores

2GB RAM

10GB HD/SSD

2TB transfer (mostly inbound)

1 ipv6

1 ipv4

No SMTP traps or willing to whitelist to allow SMTP (the server itself sends no email but as a monitoring probe, it does make a lot of SMTP connections to verify SMTP services for our customers)

Budget is $50/month or less.

To save some time, here's the providers I've already tried/looked at and rejected:
aboveclouds
Manchestervps
zFast
LoveServers
virtono

Any recommendations or offers are welcome.

Comments

• busbrbusbr Member
    edited December 2016

Clouvider is in London, so might need to reject them as well.
    Otherwise you've got Zare (Bristol), @rmlhhd DevCapsule (Manchester), and Microsoft Azure gives you something in Cardiff if I remember correctly.

• NodePingNodePing Member
    edited December 2016

@busbr

Zare doesn't offer any vps with 4 cores.

Microsoft Azure doesn't permit SMTP outbound (I don't blame them) https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mast/2016/04/04/sending-e-mail-from-azure-compute-resource-to-external-domains/

I'll give DevCapsule a go.

Still open to other offers or recommendations though.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@busbr said:
    Clouvider is in London, so might need to reject them as well.
    Otherwise you've got Zare (Bristol), @rmlhhd DevCapsule (Manchester), and Microsoft Azure gives you something in Cardiff if I remember correctly.

Thanks for mentioning @busbr

I can confirm we don't have infrastructure out of London, we have different plans for 2017, so nothing before 2018 I'm afraid :-(

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

Castlegem, vps247

• No idea how good they are. But the guy running it seems sound:
    https://northhosts.co.uk/

• Hi @NodePing,

We have UK VPS out in Reading, which is about 70km from London.

If that would work for you, I'm sure that we can be of help.

• @NodePing

We can help in Sheffield, short of the SSD requirement.. We provide local 6Gbps SATA RAID-10 for storage.

• Love servers is in Manchester! They are active on this community.

@JasperNL said:
    Love servers is in Manchester! They are active on this community.

OP clearly said he has tested them and he is not interested.

Thanked by 2JasperNL J1021
  • What's up with LoveServers?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • kcaj said: What's up with LoveServers?

When we tested them we experienced too many network outages.

ratherbak3d said: We can help in Sheffield, short of the SSD requirement.

Sorry, "HD/SSD" was supposed to mean "regular spinning disks or ssd". I wasn't very clear. Send me a PM.

VortexMagnus said: We have UK VPS out in Reading

Reading is too close to London. Thanks anyway.

gbshouse said: vps247

No ipv6 in Manchester

Should have been on my list of 'tried them'. We saw poor uptime in Coventry.

gbshouse said: Castlegem

Unfortunately to get my specs in Manchester is $90/month.

• As mentioned at the time, we had no outages at the times mentioned by yourself, we externally monitor network activity. We arent in coventry any more either. We are in Wigan.

• dealdomains said: Rshosting.Com

No ipv6 and Maidenhead is too close to London.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

Onepoundwebhosting is near Portsmouth, great uptime. Some routes may go back to London though.

Castlegem may be able to do a better deal if you contact them too.

I've heard good things about vps247 as well, they're owned by M247 which is quite reputable.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Jack from LoveServers could indeed be an option. He provides services from Manchester.
    I myself do not have a VM with them, but from what I have read here on LET so far they seem worth to try.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Contact them (Castlegem) and ask for custom quote. Bernhard (@ozfingwe) was active user here

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2016

@onepound does FAST HVMs out of serverhouse/Fareham IIRC (+ level3 bandwidth) or
    @AnthonySmith (KVM) (Clouvider network in Enfield , has Level3 too)

I have yearly services with both because they are THERE for you.

• Cloud.net can have you setup in Newark, England through the Timico datacenter http://www.timico.co.uk/about-timico/newark-data-centre

I'll start by saying we cannot do IPv6 - it will probably be a year or so before we can.

We can do 2 GB of RAM, 4 CPU cores, with 2 TB of bandwidth for $9.69 per month. You're able to signup and see full pricing information at https://www.cloud.net/servers/create?cpu=1&mem=512&disk=20&index=0&uptime=0&id=103

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

vimalware said: @AnthonySmith (KVM) (Clouvider network in Enfield , has Level3 too)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I use Clouvider which is Enfield (London)

If you give even half a crap about network avoid anyone using a rapidswitch/iomart DC though they are terrible for false positives too so for your intended use it would be a big nono.

Cloud.net is probably your best option if you do not mind somewhat limited features as an end user.

Thanked by 1OnApp_Terry
  • AnthonySmith said: Cloud.net is probably your best option

No ipv6 though. I need me some ipv6.

• imagineimagine Member
    edited December 2016

You could have a look at UKFast's eCloud Flex (Openstack, Manchester):

http://www.ukfast.co.uk/ecloud-flex.html

Probably pushes the budget a little. I'm fairly sure we offer IPv6 on Openstack (we are are ipv6 enabled across most of the network, forgive me, I mostly deal with our VMWare pods).

I'll confirm for you when I get into the office on the 3rd.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited December 2016

@NodePing said:

You know the traffic liable to go via London anyway for a lot of destinations right?

Some networks will peer in Manchester but other than that it's mostly London.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@dragon2611 said:

@NodePing said:

You know the traffic liable to go via London anyway for a lot of destinations right?

I guess the point is that if somehow entire London looses electricity or connectivity you'll know about it as your Manchester monitoring node will see it, rather than be down itself.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • have you contacted mythic-beasts? they may be able to do a custom plan within your price range.

They have Cambridge/London locations

@Jack said:

@dragon2611 said:

>

If the ISP takes cogent in Manchester, most of their traffic leaves the UK via Liverpool which isn't anywhere near London.

If one uses Cogent as main ISP anywhere for hosting that's another problem in itself ;-).

Disclaimer: not pointing any fingers by this comment.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited December 2016

Jack said: If the ISP takes cogent in Manchester, most of their traffic leaves the UK via Liverpool which isn't anywhere near London.

Traffic to the US might.

All three (GTT/Level3/Cogent) Tier 1 carriers in Manchester send traffic to London to reach the rest of Europe.

Some of the regional players in Manchester have their own fibre to Europe that avoids London, but the region is still heavily reliant upon London.

None of that necessarily a bad thing - Manchester is always going to compliment London rather than compete with it on connectivity.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • You could try the dublin location of @dediserve. Although not technically UK, it should be "close enough"

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • We can offer UK VPS in:

Bristol & Coventry & Maidenhead

https://www.qhoster.com/vps.html

• @Clouvider said:

@dragon2611 said:

@NodePing said:

I guess the point is that if somehow entire London looses electricity or connectivity you'll know about it as your Manchester monitoring node will see it, rather than be down itself.

Assuming it can communicate with the panel/outside to actually relay that information as otherwise it will just look like the monitoring node is down.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • qhoster said: We can offer UK VPS

Looks like for the specs I need, you're outside my budget. Thanks anyways.