Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying hard drives in Canada
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buying hard drives in Canada

darkconzdarkconz Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Anybody have a site that lists prices of hard drives (price watch type of thing). Or a site to buy relatively inexpensive hard drives for my NAS system?

I normally use shopbot.ca but I noticed the prices aren't up to date for a lot of them...

Comments

• wdqwdq Member

It has more than just hard drives, but it gives a price overview from a lot of the top vendors.

http://pcpartpicker.com

• Nice suggestion but it doesn't list any Canadian vendors. Not only is the currency in USD, but some of the shops wont even ship to Canada. (would have to go in an calculate shipping manually)

• http://redflagdeals.com, check the hot deals forum on the regular.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited May 2013

Hmm

Try RedFlagDeals.com

• lumaluma Member

the last couple dozen drives I purchased it was either newegg.ca or ncix.ca that was cheapest. Ncix will match any price as well.

For commercial/enterprise I have an account with Metafore.ca. They provide me with great service and a great price but I buy quite a bit of stuff there. But you need to contact a rep, don't rely on the website.

• t3k9t3k9 Member

Wait for the weekly sale at NCIX that starts every Wednesday night. Have Memory Express do a price beat on the sale price. That's usually the cheapest. The odd shell shocker on newegg.ca may be cheaper. Tigerdirect.ca has some deals sometimes but it's usually with a mail in rebate which takes forever to get.

• Yeah, memoryexpress is usually my go-to-pricematch place and I live in Calgary so there are 3 locations here for me to price match it to.

I use RFD a lot and last one seems like the Toshiba 3TB on sale from NCIX... $115 but I need 12x of them and I don't really want to mix and match hard drives in my setup.

• The NCIX one is limited to 2 per customer so I can't take advantage of that...

• I only see a few options here: Keep waiting for prices to drop, start collecting on the weekly deals or switch to unRAID.

• @tweakstur said: I only see a few options here: Keep waiting for prices to drop, start collecting on the weekly deals or switch to unRAID.

I am planning to do ZFS... and what I read on unRAID isn't ZFS no?

• tigerdirect.ca

• marcmmarcm Member

@darkconz
    There is a place right across the street from you:

• t3k9t3k9 Member

The best deal for 3TB drives are actually the Seagate Expansion external drives. They are currently $115 at NCIX with a limit of 5. They had a limit of 20 when the price was at $120. You'll have to rip apart the case but the drive inside is the ST3000DM001.

• rds100rds100 Member

@t3k9 said: You'll have to rip apart the case but the drive inside is the ST3000DM001.

And no more warranty after you do it.

• @t3k9 said: You'll have to rip apart the case but the drive inside is the ST3000DM001.

Yeah warranty is the issue. These didn't get much good reviews eh?

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited May 2013

memory express is my top pick, relatively cheap shipping and price beat. Use shopbot as reference.