Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN IPv6 Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN IPv6 Help

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited April 2013 in Help

I'm not getting much help on google. As always, LET > forums for the specific topic.

I'm running the latest OpenVPN Access Server and what I'd like to do is use the native IPv6 on the VPS to provide v6 connectivity to the device I'm using at the time. Apparently I have to use TUN for the iOS client, which I would like to use but I'm open to not using it for this VPN.

Wondering if anyone here is doing such a thing, if it can be reasonably done, etc. When I add tun-ipv6 and spin it up I get "process started and then immediately exited: ['Options error: --tun-ipv6 cannot be used with --mode server']." My understanding is that it can though? Do I need to compile OpenVPN binary from source?

Anyone wanna help out a newbie? Maybe someone should throw in "I can't believe you're a provider" for good measure. I admit cluelessness on OpenVPN and IPv6. My order of education is a bit unorthodox, as I tend to pass by things that annoy me and are not directly relevant to my needs at the time. Ask me about how I graduated college and still swear you can't add letters.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: ['Options error: --tun-ipv6 cannot be used with --mode server'].

From what I can tell "the latest OpenVPN Access Server" still uses old OpenVPN 1.8.5. And the mode you are trying to use is only implemented in a later version (2.x-something).

P.S.: basically to use the client-server mode with v6 you need OpenVPN 2.3:
    see the support status reports at http://www.greenie.net/ipv6/openvpn.html

• @rm_ said: 2.x

2.3 iirc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well replacing the openvpn binary got me around the error. Now it's started and working, it's really slow for some reason, but that's probably easier to troubleshoot. But no ipv6 and its not even trying to make an adapter for one. Just tun0 and tun1 using ipv4. I feel so amateur here.

• If you don't want to use openvpn 2.3 (I'm not sure replacing the version AS is running is a smart thing to do) then you can set up a normal 6in4 tunnel between a VPN IP and your VPS.

• From what I can tell "the latest OpenVPN Access Server" still uses old OpenVPN 1.8.5. And the mode you are trying to use is only implemented in a later version (2.x-something).

The versioning of Access Server and open source version of OpenVPN are different. But Access Server 1.8.5 does still use the 2.1.3 binary so far. In Access Server 2.* support for ipv6 will be implemented but as I understand it, only first tunneling ipv6 traffic through the OpenVPN tunnel, not actually listening yet to ipv6 addresses. Not sure though, this is still all up in the air at the moment.

The open source version can do ipv6 already, though. So that may be your best bet at the moment.

Well replacing the openvpn binary got me around the error. Now it's started and working, it's really slow for some reason, but that's probably easier to troubleshoot. But no ipv6 and its not even trying to make an adapter for one. Just tun0 and tun1 using ipv4. I feel so amateur here.

Yeah, that's totally unsupported and heh, good luck with that.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanks guys. That lets me know I'm at least not overlooking some obvious on switch right in front of my face ;)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@jarland I think that you should use the new OpenVPN 2.3 with native IPv6 support, AS isn't a good idea yet. But take note it needs a small IPv6 subnet on the server, not only one or two addresses.