Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are that reasonable prices for a dedicated server and: Which one to choose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are that reasonable prices for a dedicated server and: Which one to choose?

AmitzAmitz Member
edited April 2013 in General

Dear all,

one of my websites has grown too big for a normal VPS and I would like to move it (and some smaller ones) to a dedicated server. I received an offer from a reputable provider that I have already used (good ride!) in the past and would love to learn if the given price is at least reasonable. I have no idea of the current price situation and most of you are surely better informed.

Server Location: London-Surrey, U.K.
CPU: Intel E3-1230v2
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: 1 TB 7.2k Sata
Port: 100mbit
Transfer Limit: 5 TB
Uplinks via:
Telecom Italia
Cogent
Global Crossing
LonAP Peering
That package is offered for $125/mo recurring. No setup fee.

As an alternative, I was offered the following specs in the US (same provider):

Server Location: Chicago, using the SteadFast Datacenter in 725 South Wells Street
CPU: Intel E3-1230v2
RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 500 GB 7.2k Sata
Port: 100mbit
Transfer Limit: 30 TB
Uplinks via:
Level(3) – Direct 10 GigE
NTT – Direct 10 GigE
nLayer – Direct 10 GigE
PCCW – Direct 10 GigE
Comcast – Direct 10 GigE + GigE
Equinix Exchange Chicago – Direct 10 GigE
Chicago Internet Exchange – Direct 2x GigE
NYIIX – Direct GigE
PAIX New York – Direct GigE
PAIX Palo Alto – Direct GigE
Any2 California – Direct GigE
Equinix Exchange Ashburn – Direct GigE
LINX – Direct GigE
AMS-IX – Direct GigE
That package is offered for $99/mo recurring. No setup fee.

First of all, the second offer seems much more appealing to me. I would have preferred to have the server in the EU, but I know that the Chicago connectivity is great too.

Which server would you choose and do you think the offers are decent?
Any other suggestion for a server like this is the UK or NL?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards
-A

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

Thank you, Patrick!
    How is Redstation? Especially in terms of network and support?
    I know that the current provider is quite fast when it comes to support (<15min. Reaction time) and network is flawless. Do you have personal experience with Redstation?

• @Amitz said: How is Redstation? Especially in terms of network and support?

I know that the current provider is quite fast when it comes to support (<15min. Reaction time) and network is flawless. Do you have personal experience with Redstation?

I can't say anything bad about them, I've used them personally and support tickets were answered throughout the day / night.

Network is amazing, not one bad thing about it. Never had issues with it and they improve network all the time. I also liked the christmas card I got from then :-)

http://bgp.he.net/AS35662
    http://www.redstation.com/connectivity/connectivity-overview

• I wouldn't suggest using Redstation, if you want a server in the UK then I suggest checking out ConnetU - by far the best provider I have ever experienced in the UK, they really do care about their customers and I have never waiting more than 5 minutes for a ticket reply.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@Jono20201 said: I wouldn't suggest using Redstation

Why not? What issues did you have with them?

If you want to send emails then yeah reconsider as your forced into a SMTP Relay they run but if you don't then it's fine.

Other UK providers, may need to contact them for quote:
    C4L or Voo Servers

• Jono20201Jono20201 Member
    edited April 2013

@Patrick said: Why not? What issues did you have with them?

Ridiculous addon charges and setup fees, their support didn't seem to care about me as individual customer.

Edit: the actual server and network is fine though, however ConnetU has been better in all aspects.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

We have dedicated servers in UK and your requirements are no prob. Most dedicated customers have my personal number which I get back to you pretty quickly.

Each server is provided with remote reboot and KVM.

We can do this in both Coventry, UK and Maidenhead, UK.

• @Jono20201 said: Ridiculous addon charges and setup fees, their support didn't seem to care about me as individual customer.

They seem pretty fair, IP prices have decreased to :-)

Support is support, if you want to upgrade and such call them directly or email sales. I personally always called for anything like upgrades, straight to point and got the jobe done.

• AmitzAmitz Member

My server will not be sending eMails, so this is not a problem.
    But do I understand it right? They want £34.99 per month (not just for the first month) for the configuration that Patrick has quoted? That would be a steal if there is no other catch than the SMTP relay...

• @Amitz said: But do I understand it right? They want £34.99 per month (not just for the first month) for the configuration that Patrick has quoted?

D7-360: Quad Core 3.40Ghz (E3-1240v2); 2 x 120GB SSD; 32GB RAM; 1Gbps (+ £79.99 + £34.99 per month for 1 month)

£34.99 for first month then £79.99/month. Not bad for whats included still in UK with Unlimited 1Gbps Port / 100Mbps Guaranteed (Free)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2013

Thank you, Patrick! I was not sure about that.
    So, calculated back to EUR, it will be around EUR 99.00 for the Redstation server and EUR 75.00 for the Chicago one that I have quoted. Hard choice... I do not need unmetered bandwidth (even 5 TB would be okay), but the Redstation server has SSD disks. Damn. Tough decision...

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@Amitz said: but the Redstation server has SSD disks

Well, what do you need the server for? If disk space matters then Steadfast obvious choice, they run a great network as well

There's other EU providers as well:
    https://www.providerservice.com/dedicated-servers/
    http://www.23media.de/de/dedicated_server/dedicated_server#419

(No experience but I know few LEB hosts run off them)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2013

That single website that I am talking about needs around 10 GB space. So the smaller SSDs would be absolutely fine. It is a gallery site with heavy disk I/O so SSD would be a plus again. It's just that I know the "old" provider quite good and have no experience with Redstation yet. I am an awful ditherer... ;)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2013

Thank you again, Patrick - I will never understand the completely different pricing of
    http://providerservice.com and
    http://providerdienste.de
    They are the same company, yet prices are different depending on the website.

• kandosankandosan Member
    edited April 2013

how many users could i fit in this type of hardware
    D7-100: Dual Core 2.20Ghz +; 2 x 1TB SATA; 8GB RAM; 100Mbps ?

seedbox users

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@Amitz said: hank you again, Patrick - I will never understand the completely different pricing of

Yah odd one there.

Anyways you will be happy at Redstation :)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2013

I have just ordered the Redstation server that you have suggested. Let's see how it works out. Thank you very much for your guidance, @Patrick! :-)

• WoopWoop Member

@kandosan said: how many users could i fit in this type of hardware

D7-100: Dual Core 2.20Ghz +; 2 x 1TB SATA; 8GB RAM; 100Mbps ?

seedbox users

Hmm your going to be limited by 100mbps. Most of the big seedbox guys have at least a 1gbps port if not 10 gbps. If you have 3-4 guys on private trackers downloading some HD's videos, your gonna use up the connection pretty fast. Considering I can basically max out my Kimsufi connection at 11mb/s for 1 torrent, it won't be hard for a few guys to max that out.

Consider you sell 5 slots, to break even you need to charge £11.6 = $17 USD, which makes it more expensive then Feralhosting or Whatbox for that matter which offer better connection speeds and more HD space than you can offer, however you could probably provide more bandwidth, I don't think it will be worth it.

• @Woop

my future has just died, walks over the bridge and looks down and jumps !

• WoopWoop Member

@kandosan said: my future has just died, walks over the bridge and looks down and jumps !

Nice Bro!

Better off getting a 100tb server from leaseweb on a 1gbps port for $80. Only 500gb total space, but if you upgrade the drives to something bigger, it could easily take at least 10 users no trouble.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Hey @Amtiz,

Where are the majority of your visitors from? That alone would sway my vote :)

• @Amitz said: They are the same company, yet prices are different depending on the website.

The servers on the German site have setup fees, English one does not.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2013

@ElliotJ: That's the easy part! 50% from Merica and 50% from Urope. So it doesn't really matter... ;-)

@GetKVM_Ash: Aah! I have overseen that, thanks for the mention!

However, my Redstation server and the website on it are online since around 24h and that little beast works like a charm. They have put the HDDs in Raid-1 even though I ordered them different, but that is a mistake that I can live with.