Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asia Colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Asia Colocation

SpencerSpencer Member
edited April 2013 in General

I am looking for some Asia colo. Preferably in Singapore or some other area around there. What are some good places to colo there? It is going to be 1 or 2u server and I need 5tb at 100mbit.

Comments

• @William

Maybe he can hook you some tubes?

• Come to IRC Spence!

• @serverian I'm at work, I can't!

• That is strange, what is this 100mbps unmetered with "5 mbps dedicated" ???

From the post:

• 1 x 100Mbps Port (Unmetered 100Mbps, minimum 5Mbps Dedicated, Asia Optimized IP Transit)
      Bandwidth Upgrade:

• Add US$200/mth for Unmetered 100Mbps, minimum 10Mbps Dedicated, Asia Optimized IP Transit

• Add US$1500/mth for Unmetered 100Mbps Dedicated, Asia Optimized IP Transit
  • @unused said: That is strange, what is this 100mbps unmetered with "5 mbps dedicated" ???

5mbps guaranteed and burst upto 100mbps?

• @Patrick said: 5mbps guaranteed and burst upto 100mbps?

... What is the 100mbps unmetered then ? unmetered burst? new marketing term for me ;-)

• @unused said: That is strange, what is this 100mbps unmetered with "5 mbps dedicated" ???

Local / international bandwidth, popular in Asian locations

• @Spencer Colo isn't particularly worthwhile unless you're shipping some very expensive equipment that costs too much to rent dedicated. Remote hands for hardware work not cheap, bandwidth is the bulk of the costs. HostSG pricing isn't as cheap as alan, about S$200/m for a 1U railed w/1mbps dedicated. A dedicated costs S$300/m and gets you 5mbps dedicated. Makes a lot more sense.

@unused Burstable up to 100mbps is what alan means. Though unmetered sounds nicer. Some of us SG providers (HostSG included) don't bill on 95 percentile, we usually negotiate with you for bandwidth upgrades if your constant usage exceeds the dedicated bandwidth. It's near impossible to explain to end users what 95 percentile is in Singapore, easier to show the MRTG and say "look, you need more bandwidth".

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

Minimum 5Mbps Dedicated,
    Maximum 100Mbps Dedicated.

Means you will get at least 5Mbps speed(lol you are paying for 100Mbps unmetered and you will get 5Mbps speed.)

• pack servers, live in singapore. Colo from home.

• @cosmicgate

Provided you can withstand the noise. I know I can't.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited April 2013

@unused said: That is strange, what is this 100mbps unmetered with "5 mbps dedicated" ???

Shared bandwidth I guess? Something like 1:20 ?

• @eLohkCalb said: Provided you can withstand the noise. I know I can't.

Don't buy 1U servers, stick with 2U ideally SM, the fans auto tone down when not stressed.

Dedicated a room to become a DC, then soundproof it. Singapore power is pretty stable, I haven't had a power outage at home for 2 years straight.

• @Kenshin said: Dedicated a room to become a DC, then soundproof it. Singapore power is pretty stable, I haven't had a power outage at home for 2 years straight.

I sense a new opportunity from OAH for LowEndColoSG ...

• @unused said: I sense a new opportunity from OAH for LowEndColoSG ...

Lol. Not happening, wife will not have any of the noise or giving up a room. My home setup is redundant fibers to 2 ISPs in active/standby NAT, running on an EeBox. Quiet as hell. :)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2013

I had a few boxes in a flat in HK and some even use this as business (pacswitch.. never use them).

Power in Asia ia pretty stable in SG/HK (and even CN, seriously, the Chinese power grid is more stable than India and Thailand together - outages usually under 1min 2-3x yearly).

Most buildings in HK have a shared AC now that is planned for full load at full building, now if only half the building is occupied you can turn down yours to 14C (instead of locked 18C min) and control it per room.

Fiber is no issue in SG/HK, not even dark, not even redundant, to anywhere, if you put enough cash on Tatas table they even sell you a redundant 10G+ L2 link HK<->London ending in your flat.

Main issue is power, not exactly availability (buildings usually have more than enough) but distributíon to the flats (new HK buildings usually have 1x 3phase 10A 380V for stove/AC and 1-2x 16A 220V for the flat, which is not really much for servers).

This is not an issue with state power availability (this drastically changed after HK started to import heavily from the Mainland after the handover to cut costs) but merely with the sheer size of residential buildings (300flats+) and you can only place X wires under the street without risks/problems.

• @William said: I had a few boxes in a flat in HK and some even use this as business (pacswitch.. never use them).

Haha, i remember that guy - isn't he in jail now?

• Yea, he hacked the HK stock exchange as comemrcial for his 'company', what an idiot...

• klikliklikli Member
    edited April 2013

@William said: I had a few boxes in a flat in HK and some even use this as business (pacswitch.. never use them).

Do you mean that Pacswitch colos servers in a residential flat? I always thought they used to host their servers somewhere in the Science Park in HK, isn't it?

• WilliamWilliam Member

I know of at least 1 residential flat/room/building they use (or used, likely still use), but yea he also has at least 1 rack at MegaI (for his HE BW drop)

• unusedunused Member

@klikli said: Do you mean that Pacswitch colos servers in a residential flat? I always thought they used to host their servers somewhere in the Science Park in HK, isn't it?

For the first few months, then could not afford and moved out. Same with his HKIX connection (still listed, but his 100mb circuit hasn't been active in years)

@William said: I know of at least 1 residential flat/room/building they use (or used, likely still use), but yea he also has at least 1 rack at MegaI (for his HE BW drop)

8x8 room in his dads office building with portable chiller. Runs up to 35c. Switch only at mega from a friend to power his he.net connection to become the first gigabit hk powered "internetional" dc.

Who knows how it is all staying online, but unless you want to use his ips to send heavy spam while you're able to (which is the only way he makes his $) stay far, far away.

• WilliamWilliam Member

Yea, first Gbit... sure ;)

Three/Hutchinson and NWT have Nx10G International since years (NWT even since decades... they are owned by NTT) and alone PCCW/Asianetcom has like 20x40G Transport HK-LA.
    His 1Gbit is a joke like him, even if it wouldn't be singlehomed HE.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited May 2013

@Kenshin said: Lol. Not happening, wife will not have any of the noise or giving up a room. My home setup is redundant fibers to 2 ISPs in active/standby NAT, running on an EeBox. Quiet as hell. :)

So...you could setup a Raspberry Pi colocation. Two of the most craved items on LEB togheter: a dedicated server on RaspberryPi + a Asia IP. What could possibly go wrong? :-)

• KenshinKenshin Member

@pcan said: So...you could setup a Raspberry Pi colocation. Two of the most craved items on LEB togheter: a dedicated server on RaspberryPi + a Asia IP. What could possibly go wrong? :-)

Technically possible, but you might as well get a VPS. :)

• WilliamWilliam Member

RPIs DO generate high amounts of heat, believe it or not - a 50 RPI board (which has 3U half dept) generates around 80W heat due to the inefficient (cooling wise) ARM SoC and the high loss in converting 110/220V AC to 5V DC.

• OneAsiaHost

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

@Kenshin said: Dedicated a room to become a DC

@Boltersdriveer do this in his home I think :p

Now if only we can route RIPE/ARIN block + full BGP session from those residential ISPs...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

@Melita said: RIPE/ARIN

APNIC for SG/Asia-Pacific.