Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FreeNAS on OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FreeNAS on OpenVZ

nikcnikc Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Does anyone know of a way other than boot from ISO that I can get FreeNAS installed on an OpenVZ device ?

Obviosuly mounting the ISO isn't an option, but I'd love to figure a way to get FreeNAS onto a spare OpenVZ device I have ....

Thanks

Nik

Comments

• You would have to port all the code over. It won't boot natively on openvz.

• Shortly: you can't.

• nikcnikc Member

@serverian said: Shortly: you can't.

Shame. Thanks for the clarification :)

• yum remove vzkernel

Purchase or install KVM :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

The very first thing about FreeNAS from Google, without even opening its website:

FreeNAS - The Most Potent & Rock Solid Open-Source NAS ...

www.freenas.org/
    Open Source Storage Platform based on FreeBSD

You are a silly person if you expect to run FreeBSD inside OpenVZ.

• nikcnikc Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: yum remove vzkernel

Purchase or install KVM :)

Yeh have it going on KVM, just really wanted to try to utlise a wasted resource.

@rm_ legend.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: yum remove vzkernel

vzkernel is installed on the host, not the VPS.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Rallias said: vzkernel is installed on the host, not the VPS.

I think he was joking.

But the overall point is right - FreeNAS is a ground-up appliance with its own kernel. OvZ shares a kernel so it'll never work. You could use FreeNAS on a KVM though.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: OvZ shares a kernel so it'll never work

In theory it is not impossible. As rallias said, you could port the code for the linux kernel, however, that is more of a vague amendament to the idea of impossible, not really something worth it.
    There will also be some complications with venet which will need some special code to work...
    BTW, does anyone allow veth on their OVZ platform ? Custom or different panel, I dont mind, I know solus doesnt support it.

While I dont agree with some statements there, I accept FreeNAS must remain BSD because there are already plenty of linux alternatives.
    More competition and easy to use unixes is better for the average guy.

• will it work in bsdjail?

No, has to run own kernel.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Ive installed a few debians to use as nas for customers. Added webmin for them to administer it so they dont have to use ssh.

Works nice for the purpose.

• twaintwain Member

Openmediavault also works fine. Based on Debian. I switched to this from Freenas for my home fileserver about a year or two ago.

• nikcnikc Member

@twain said: Openmediavault also works fine. Based on Debian. I switched to this from Freenas for my home fileserver about a year or two ago.

Thank you for the tip :)