Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do allocated CPU cores work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do allocated CPU cores work?

alterarchalterarch Member
edited April 2013 in Help

A lot of offers advertise 4 CPU cores, sometimes vCPU cores (I assume those to mean virtual cpu cores) but what does that actually mean?

Can we use up to the number of cores in CPU load or something else?

In this case I am talking about OpenVZ but clarification on KVM would also be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• It means you have access to x cores/vCPU/etc. It's usually shared not dedicated, so you can't use it 100% all the time.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I always wondered: What if my provider gives me access to 4 cores and I use 1 of them nearly 100% of the time? I guess most will consider this as abusive already?

• Yeah, you will definitely be considered abusive.

Ex. IPXCore's TOS - "Subscriber’s programs and services may not use more than 90% of one CPU core per process thread for more than 15 minutes. Subscriber’s programs and services will be arbitrarily “niced” to +19 if found to be using more than 90% of one CPU core per process thread. Subscriber’s programs and services may not use 100% of one CPU core for more than 2 minutes."

• So a VPS that idles at around 1-2 load would be considered abusive?

• @Amitz: Depends on the price you're paying, the CPU they use and really the company you're hosting with.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2013

And that?
    P.S.: I already know the answer of my provider and would just be interested in what others might say...

• Not necessarily. It depends on how many cores the processor they use has and how they allocate the CPU's resources.

• @amitz misread that... 1 all the time, no, not generally.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Amitz Looks clear to me. If it were me I'd pass on by and consider you a good client making good use of shared resources.

• @alterarch said: So a VPS that idles at around 1-2 load would be considered abusive?

idle and 1-2 load? how is that possible?

• ChanChan Member

Some not-so oversold providers lets you use as much as you can as long as others aren't at the same time, if others do everyone gets a fair share

• @serverian said: idle and 1-2 load? how is that possible?

That is quite easy to do. Everything adds up.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@jarland said: @Amitz Looks clear to me. If it were me I'd pass on by and consider you a good client making good use of shared resources.

Not sure if meant ironic or serious to be honest... ;)

• @Amitz said: Not sure if meant ironic or serious to be honest... ;)

It depends on what you're doing/using it for. But in all honesty if you're reasonable with it then we're reasonable with you.

• I remember seeing somewhere that on the KVM virtualisation system one can use 100% of the CPU without affecting the other clients as it is more 'contained'?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: It depends on what you're doing/using it for. But in all honesty if you're reasonable with it then we're reasonable with you.

The VM corresponding to the Munin screenshot above is running one single website using nginx. Nothing else.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Amitz said: The VM corresponding to the Munin screenshot above is running one single website using nginx. Nothing else.

and?

@jarland said: @Amitz Looks clear to me. If it were me I'd pass on by and consider you a good client making good use of shared resources.

:P

• AmitzAmitz Member

Understood now! ;-)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

We don't police it on a per-container basis, but instead, when it starts effecting other clients.

For example, a new client...

...was causing quite a spike. We worked with him to alleviate the issue.

We also have a client that periodically does ffmpeg encoding. He does it during American daytime from 7am to 10am (when our usages dip), and he nices his processes, as can be seen by the dark orange:

Both of these servers are considered full, and do not have new containers allocated on them. It's all about the management.

• dnomdnom Member

This is the most used CPU-wise VPS I have currently:
    I'd probably pick a xen VPS if I need a lot of CPU but don't want to be abusive. I heard xen has a good CPU scheduler.