Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up you own CDN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up you own CDN

vijayrajahvijayrajah Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hello all.. I'm thinking of setting up my own CDN. I have a few servers that are geographically distributed.. I was wondering how could i turn them into a CDN.

I know i can sign up for CDN's (like cloudflare etc...) But, I wanted to do this myself...

I 'm working on spliting the site into static and non-static contest & move them to a subdomain -- Like -- static.mydomain.tld

I'm not sure how do i proceed with this.. I was thinking of using bind with 'views'.. based on geographic location o originating IP. But i'm not sure how to proceed with this..

Any Ideas??

Thanks in advance
Vijay

Comments

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited April 2013

@vijayrajah said: I was thinking of using bind

Host your DNS elsewhere; it saves you a good few headaches. Rage4 is great for this sort of thing. They've got anycasted nameservers spread the world over.

• Short answer: unless for experiment purpose, please dont do it. Use maxcdn or Cdn77 etc.. for serious production usage.

Long answer:

Rage4 is a good start. You may have to manually tweak routes per country for best latency and speed.

Next step is to build a push zone (to upload files) and a way to sync data between pops. Rsync can do the job.

If you dont want push zone, you can build a pull zone (reverse proxy) and cache the objects in each pop after first request. Can use nginx or varnish for this purpose.

• @haphan said: unless for experiment purpose, please dont do it.

If you can get it up and running properly, a GhettoCDN isn't too bad. IMO.

• AmfyAmfy Member

Yes, would also recommend you using Rage4's GeoDNS. If you are good with writing webpanels, you might get in contact with me (I was working on something nice regarding CDNs ;) )

• vijayrajahvijayrajah Member
    edited April 2013

@haphan said: You may have to manually tweak routes per country for best latency and speed

This is what i do not know how to achieve.. I'm not familiar with rage4 DNS... Can their DNS respond with different A record depending on the source of the query?. .If that is the case... it would be relatively easy to setup DIY CDN (right?)

I looked at this (http://phix.me/geodns/).. looks easy..

I looked at a patch for bind9 here (http://www.caraytech.com/geodns/)

@Amfy said: If you are good with writing webpanels, you might get in contact with me

Nope: i'm not much of coder :-( , I wish i was.. sorry...

• @vijayrajah said: Can their DNS respond with different A record depending on the source of the query?

Yes. You can have "Nearest-first" or have country-dependent A records. You can also get even more granular with some basic PHP knowledge and Geoscaling's service.