Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transfer limits, hard or soft?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transfer limits, hard or soft?

As a general rule of thumb, how do providers handle the data transfer limits? Is it a hard cut? Are there usually warnings before hand? Are there some that are better than others about it if you go over once?

I am trying to get my head around how much bandwidth a few of these applications I want to move to a vps will take but it will take some time of actually having them out there to tell exactly.

Comments

• This is a question you need to ask your hosting provider. Those that use SolusVM will likely send warnings and suspend your VPS when bandwidth is used up thus cutting off service until the next month or you purchase an upgrade. This would be a hard limit.

Some (like us) may send you warnings then maintain a soft limit such as limiting your transfer speed until an upgrade or the next month.

• RamNode sent me a warning at 90%. That works for me.

• Depends on the provider.

Some will cut you off, some will charge overages and some just can't be bothered to even worry about it unless you go way over.