Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frantech Shared and SMTP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frantech Shared and SMTP

I have a shared account with Frantech since April 2015 and it has been ok.
But today one of my clients informed me that their wordpress site was not sending email turns out Frantech have remote SMTP disabled because of the "rather large increase in spam operations we've been seeing lately"

Would be good if they let me know they were doing that as all my clients are using Mxroute or mailgun. And the PHP's mail() function is also disabled.

So if you have shared hosting with Frantech and are using remote SMTP.
Now you know.

Comments

• Yeap, had the exact issue (I was told by one of my clients) a few days ago. I had to move some of the sites elsewhere, because opencart wouldn't play along.

Apart from that, the service is still great, though it would be nice to be informed before changes like that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You can just open a ticket and we can whitelist your accounts.

Francisco

Thanked by 2dimitrisp Jorbox
  • Block SMTP very bad idea if use shared hosting

• Was this always the policy or something new?

@jenkki said:
    Block SMTP very bad idea if use shared hosting

Using the local SMTP server is fine, problem is users directly spamming to gmail/etc and we end up with blacklisted IP's.

dimitrisp said: Apart from that, the service is still great, though it would be nice to be informed before changes like that.

The Sendmail locks have been in place for well over a year and the SMTP ones are similar. To be honest cPanel always had 'SMTP redirect' for this very issue, we simply replaced their system with our own so we can whitelist users instead of an all or nothing setup like cPanel does.

If you got a ticket just let me know and I'll look into it :)

Francisco

• I am planning of moving all my sites to one of their shared or reseller hosting. Will this affect me? @Francisco

@drdrake said:
    I am planning of moving all my sites to one of their shared or reseller hosting. Will this affect me? @Francisco

Sure, if you are unwilling to open a ticket and ask for a whitelist :)

95% of our users don't send emails from their applications, yet many of those users get compromised due to old Wordpress plugins, pirated themes, etc, and we end up cleaning up after it.

The sendmail system I wrote is probably the single best thing I've coded to deal with that very issue. Here's a sample of what it does:

[2016-12-21 01:47:10 PM] Username: XXXXXX | Policy: Blocked | Path: /home/XXXXXX/public_html/wp-content/themes/BUZZBLOG-theme/bootstrap/js/etcfwvx | Args: -t -i

There's no reason there is something sendmail emails from a javascript folder.

Francisco

Thanked by 2eva2000 doughmanes
  • @Francisco said:
    You can just open a ticket and we can whitelist your accounts.

Francisco

That could have been suggested by the representative on the ticket I opened (#82786), but it wasn't.

To be honest, I'm still satisfied with your services and as it wasn't a huge mistake, I'll keep using them. After all, the other sites are working correctly without problems.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You can probably use alternate SMTP ports. Let me know if you need a custom port on mxroute, I'll hook it up.

Thanked by 1Francisco

dimitrisp said: That could have been suggested by the representative on the ticket I opened (#82786), but it wasn't.

Hello,

He didn't handle the ticket incorrectly, he asked you if there was a reason your site/user wasn't wanting to use the local mailserver. If you had explained that in the following reply then I'm sure he would've documented that whitelists are possible :)

Anyway, it's available if you'd like it, just let us know.

Francisco

Thanked by 1dimitrisp
  • Francisco said: You can just open a ticket and we can whitelist your accounts.

Ok thats done.

• solarmansolarman Member
    edited December 2016

Francisco said: You can just open a ticket and we can whitelist your accounts.
    Francisco

@Francisco Hi please see to tickets #83023 and #83017 "We don't provide mass-whitelisting (just confirmed this with Francisco myself)." is the reply I got when I asked !

Correct, you have to tell us which accounts need it, not "I need every account to always be whitelisted". If one of those accounts gets compromised we're just as screwed.

Francisco

• @Francisco Ok thats not going to work for us all our clients use wordpress or I will have to drop mxroute and mailgun. So looks like I'm moving sites then!

@solarman said:
    @Francisco Ok thats not going to work for us all our clients use wordpress or I will have to drop mxroute and mailgun. So looks like I'm moving sites then!

Just drop mailgun and ask me for a unique SMTP port on mxroute. Just let me know what server you're on.

@solarman said:
    @Francisco Ok thats not going to work for us all our clients use wordpress or I will have to drop mxroute and mailgun. So looks like I'm moving sites then!

I can do one off sets for accounts but it won't be cron'd or anything. @jarpand 2525 is a common we don't touch if you want to open that.

Francisco

• @jarland Thanks but I am done messing around with Frantech.

Francisco said: I can do one off sets for accounts but it won't be cron'd or anything. @jarpand 2525 is a common we don't touch if you want to open that.

Done. Port 2525 open on all servers :)

SMTP blocks are incredibly common, cpanel enables it by default in fact and is part of their highly recommend options.

You can do what you want but short of moving to a vps you're going to have a hard time finding a host OK blasting spam. Smarthosts don't fix direct SMTP spamming.

Francisco

• Francisco said: You can just open a ticket and we can whitelist your accounts.

@Francisco I asked for just one site to be whitelisted and got "kindly have your users utilize the locally provided SMTP server." I only need it for tonight as I will move it tomorrow.

Why say you will do something and then don't.

@solarman said:

Francisco said: You can just open a ticket and we can whitelist your accounts.

@Francisco I asked for just one site to be whitelisted and got "kindly have your users utilize the locally provided SMTP server." I only need it for tonight as I will move it tomorrow.

Why say you will do something and then don't.

Was it I that replied to the ticket? Valentin was unaware I was looking into it and likely still is since I'm currently mobile to pickup some Christmas presents.

Anyway, do as you wish, you'll have the same issue elsewhere short of using a non standard port.

Francisco

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

@Francisco said:
    SMTP blocks are incredibly common, cpanel enables it by default in fact and is part of their highly recommend options.

You can do what you want but short of moving to a vps you're going to have a hard time finding a host OK blasting spam. Smarthosts don't fix direct SMTP spamming.

Francisco

We accept all mail incl. spam, filter it and relay it using the dedicated SMTP relays. Feel free to PM me if you need an HA mail filter and relay solution.

Pavin.

edited December 2016

Making any change as a hosting provider is an exercise in how to piss off the least amount of people.

There is never an option that pisses off no one, including not making a change to how things currently are.

@mailcheap said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

We accept all mail incl. spam, filter it and relay it using the dedicated SMTP relays. Feel free to PM me if you need an HA mail filter and relay solution.

Pavin.

I see no reason to pay for filtering of known spam when I can handle it with my own localized systems.it isn't often that we reject people from getting it done and the times we do its because they've proven themselves incapable of keeping their services clean.

You also missed the important point that a smarthosts does not address direct smtp, we would have to use a local redirect like cpanel does which would, again, break other mail vendors.

Simple solutions are give a proper user list, use a vps/dedicated, or see if your mail vendor has alt ports. Again, 2525 is common.

Francisco

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

@Francisco said:

@mailcheap said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Pavin.

I see no reason to pay for filtering of known spam when I can handle it with my own localized systems.it isn't often that we reject people from getting it done and the times we do its because they've proven themselves incapable of keeping their services clean.

You also missed the important point that a smarthosts does not address direct smtp, we would have to use a local redirect like cpanel does which would, again, break other mail vendors.

Simple solutions are give a proper user list, use a vps/dedicated, or see if your mail vendor has alt ports. Again, 2525 is common.

Francisco

Aye. Late here and I was going on about authenticated transmission; wouldn't recommend it for direct sending.

Pavin.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco said:

I have a WordPress website hosted on BuyShared Luxembourg, using Mailgun on port 465 to send mail. Is this allowed or not?

@quicksilver03 said:

@Francisco said:

I have a WordPress website hosted on BuyShared Luxembourg, using Mailgun on port 465 to send mail. Is this allowed or not?

465 is limited by default, but you can just ask for a whitelisting if you have delivery issues. Just let me know the ticket ID if Valentin panics.

None of this is new, the stuffs been in place all year.

Francisco

• I feel partially responsible and somewhat bad for putting fuel into fire. Francisco, the team & the services are really great, it was just some kind of bad communication.
    If you were thinking to go with BuyShared or BuyVM, do it, you won't regret it!
    You can't go that high without making a couple mistakes on the way ;)

• you should be using things like Mailgun and Sendgrid to send emails from applications anyway.