Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much would it cost for a dedicated 8core with 16gig ram? -comparing vs upgraging my home interne
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much would it cost for a dedicated 8core with 16gig ram? -comparing vs upgraging my home interne

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited December 2016 in General

My cpu is 8 amd fx8320.

I am trying to establish whether it is more cost effective to upgrade my home internet, since my own computer is good vs how much it would cost to rent a server monthly for the same hardware specs.

One thing to bear in mind is that I already pay £34 per month for my home internet which is only 20mbit dl/1mbit upload. Now I had not checked in ages and see I am probably being ripped off here so I think I could get the same speed/package for £22 a month or even less.

But either way I would still have to pay around the £20 a month mark for internet at home but at those speeds it is not suitable for heavy encoding and video uploading, which is what I am looking for.

I looked at the price of fibre in my area and there is an offer for 100mbit ul/dl for £34! So it is the same price I am paying now!

So for a server to be equal to that price wise it could only cost difference in price of the extra it would cost for my current internet speed to go to the fibre. I mean for a good 20mbit deal- being around £20-22; since I would have to pay for both concurrently a dedicated server would have to offer the same specs as my home computer whilst only costing the difference to £34, so around £10-12.

So are there offers which could provide this- something with the same ram/cpu as my current home computer and dedicated, whilst only costing £10-12, or is getting fibre internet for my home going to be the better financial option?

And/or are there any other factors I may not have considered in the equation.

Comments

• A dedicated server with those specs is quite optimistic for the price... There are plenty of benefits of using a Datacenter compared to home hosting.

Is it a public facing server which needs good reliability, or is it solely private use?

• Do they have any fair share/capping after a certain uploading limit on your home internet? Are you going to be investing in hardware? If you're needing to buy the hardware you'd probably be best off buying a SoYouStart server in all honesty.

• @WSCallum said:
    A dedicated server with those specs is quite optimistic for the price... There are plenty of benefits of using a Datacenter compared to home hosting.

Is it a public facing server which needs good reliability, or is it solely private use?

No it would only be for personal use for running python scripts.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited December 2016

@IThinkUFailed said:
    Do they have any fair share/capping after a certain uploading limit on your home internet? Are you going to be investing in hardware? If you're needing to buy the hardware you'd probably be best off buying a SoYouStart server in all honesty.

How do you mean investing in hardware. As I said with the home setup I wouldn't need to since I already have good hardware on my desktop computer.

The capping is certainly something to consider but I would not run at night time so wouldn't be 24/7 and the uploading wouldnt be constant it would be in bursts after having encoded a batch and doing it in cycles. So I guess it wouldn't be too bad on that front.

• @lowendguy7 said:

@IThinkUFailed said:
    Do they have any fair share/capping after a certain uploading limit on your home internet? Are you going to be investing in hardware? If you're needing to buy the hardware you'd probably be best off buying a SoYouStart server in all honesty.

How do you mean investing in hardware. As I said with the home setup I wouldn't need to since I already have good hardware on my desktop computer.

The capping is certainly something to consider but I would not run at night time so wouldn't be 24/7 and the uploading wouldnt be constant it would be in bursts after having encoded a batch and doing it in cycles. So I guess it wouldn't be too bad on that front.

Sorry I must of misread that hardware thing. My apologies.

Make sure you've checked everything your new internet service contract has in terms of limitations. Who would you be using for this?

• You might have to explain a little what your usage requirement is for 'heavy encoding and video uploading', if it's just for 'running python scripts'. It sounds like you don't already have anything off-site in your current setup so why not continue locally. If you rent an off-site solution you're still going to have to upload the source media to do the video encoding, over the slow ADSL link.

• Hyperoptic.

@IThinkUFailed said:

Make sure you've checked everything your new internet service contract has in terms of limitations. Who would you be using for this?

edited December 2016

@cochon said:
    You might have to explain a little what your usage requirement is for 'heavy encoding and video uploading', if it's just for 'running python scripts'. It sounds like you don't already have anything off-site in your current setup so why not continue locally. If you rent an off-site solution you're still going to have to upload the source media to do the video encoding, over the slow ADSL link.

No I don't have to upload anything from my home. I download from an/other website/s. I just have to do some editing and then reupload.

• @lowendguy7 said:
    Hyperoptic.

@IThinkUFailed said:

You'd be fine then. Personally their 1Gbit plan is very affordable! I'm very jealous ;)

They're a great company though. I've spoken to their staff a few times in the past.

• @lowendguy7 said:
    I just have to do some editing and then reupload.

Fair enough, as @someSguy suggests the XC2016 is probably the only solution near your budget, but not in the same power league as your desktop machine. Spending the money on 100Mbs up/down would seem to have far more benefit all round (jealous too).

edited December 2016

Alright cool I will have a think for a couple days and maybe take the leap then. Cheers guys :).

Btw in terms of ram it doesn't need much I don't think with regards to the server. I just happen to have 16 gigs but I don't think I need that for a server just for encoding because it is cpu not ram which is needed for that isn't it.

As such maybe there are some other offers? because I know ram costs alot. I might be ok with even 2gigs ram if the cpu was strong.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

The fx-8320 will be faster than the c2750 Atom, maybe comparable to an e3-1230 or i7-2600 in total cpu power. You can compare cpu speeds at:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

If you're encoding just 1 video then you might have to do it on just a single core, making the multicore box not that useful.

If you're just encoding once in a while, you can usually do it on a decent vps. They get jumpy if you encode 24/7 but short occasional bursts are ok.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lowendguy7 said: upraging