Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean running out of IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean running out of IPs

kornnflakekornnflake Member
edited April 2013 in General

Ordering the two cheapest droplets in NL is disabled since 2 days. "The 512MB and 1GB sizes are currently not available in the Amsterdam region due to RIPE IPv4 restrictions and limited availability of IP space."

Comments

• jhjh Member

I think this is going to become a trend

• IshaqIshaq Member

Yeah. They opened San Francisco to give more option.

• @jhadley said: I think this is going to become a trend

And IPV6 still way too long.

• Atleast half a Decade...
    to see real changes..

@Noerman said: And IPV6 still way too long.

• unusedunused Member
    edited April 2013

Another 3-4 years and IPv4 will kill the LEB market.. you're probably going to see IPv6 only offers with a $10/mo cost for a single IPv4 address...

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

@unused said: Another 3-4 years and IPv4 will kill the LEB market.. you're probably going to see IPv6 only offers with a $10/mo cost for a single IPv4 address...

Connectivity, is connectivity. So long that everyone is using ipv6, no problem :)

Edit: I mean the majority, not everyone ** XD

• DigitalOcean have this problem more than 2 weeks.

• ksecksec Member

They have been having this problem for a while already.

• danodano Member

I see a thread about digital ocean running out of IPv4's, and then I see a thread about "What does IPv6 mean to you". Personally, I have been integrating IPv6 where I can, as I feel it's only a matter of time before there is no other choice, and I would rather be ready than to play catch up - plus, it's pretty fun to learn about new things while your brain is still able to quickly grasp concepts.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited April 2013

People really care about them internet points addresses.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited April 2013

@unused said: Another 3-4 years and IPv4 will kill the LEB market.. you're probably going to see IPv6 only offers with a $10/mo cost for a single IPv4 address...

If you already have v4 and an establish provider, you will still be in business and will be able to continue longer than new startups, if your business and business plan solely depends on LEB, I have no comments.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Its already happening. I figuelred burst would have cut IP allocations by now hut ovh and the likes did.

Prepare for lowendcolocrossing.

• @seriesn said: If you already have v4 and an establish provider, you will still be in business and will be able to continue longer than new startups, if your business and business plan solely depends on LEB, I have no comments.

Maybe if you have a long term contract - otherwise once it really gets bad, you should expect to see price increases for IPv4. Don't be surprised to suddenly be paying $50+ per IPv4 ip.

If you have your own IP space directly from a RIR, get more while you can and plan for the worst.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

@unused said: If you have your own IP space directly from a RIR, get more while you can and plan for the worst.

Ahhh! The Sky is falling! Run!!!!

/troll

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2013

Also quite annoying is that if you have already have a droplet on 2GB Ram it wont let you downgrade, only upgrade. That's a bit shit!

• Does anyone know if they are comming back?

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

I'd go with a regular provider, but chances to get IPs back into availability could be good at Digitalocean since they are supposed to have users regularly self destroying their containers and some IPs are supposed to get free.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Intcs said: t chances to get IPs back into availability could be good at Digitalocean since they are supposed to have users regularly self destroying their containers

I don't think it works like that, rather they have manually disabled the ability to create small droplets until they obtain a large enough pool of free IPs available for distribution. It's not like you can wait around until someone destroys their droplet, to snatch their IP.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think the same, no matter how many IPs will be available, as long as the creation/downgrade is disabled, it will stay disabled.
    However, I wouldnt worry too much about the LEB market, ARIN still has tons, most offers are from there, so there wont be any problems anytime soon (next 2 years).
    Also, Africa has lots still.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@unused said: $10/mo cost for a single IPv4 address

I pay that for an extra IP on one of my VPSs here in Australia. I confronted them about it as that price is ridiculous, yes IPs are running out but $10? they are just milking the situation for all it's worth. Oh well, the uptime they provide for the about I pay is well worth it to me.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Maounique said: Also, Africa has lots still.

RIR's are starting to enforce where allocations get announced so unless Africa suddenly gets 50Gbit/sec in some big locations and, you know, there servers don't get shot up/blown up in some civil war, the IP's will mean little.

I can't remember where I read that the LANIC is also enforcing 'must announce in latin america' policies. ARIN may still allow out-of-RIR announcements but who knows.

Francisco

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@Francisco said: ARIN may still allow out-of-RIR announcements but who knows.

This could be problematic situation also for some bigger players like FDC (who use ARIN IPs in Zlin DC - Czech, EU). Or in case RIPE start with this for our beloved Edis :P
    With such potential rule by RIR's many many bad things can happen for already established names in hosting industry.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

ARIN <3

Africa will get and is getting better connectivity at a fast pace. However, Korea has great internet yet few people host there.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Maounique said: Korea has great internet yet few people host there.

NukeVPS!

Haha :P I meant south korea :P

• ksecksec Member

Do South Korea has better World Wide Connectivity then say Hong Kong? I know South Korea gets the world's fastest average Local Broadband speed, but isn't so sure about International traffic.

• @Maounique said: However, Korea has great internet yet few people host there.

Great local internet, yes. Welcome to Asia.

@ksec said: Do South Korea has better World Wide Connectivity then say Hong Kong?

Nope, HKIX (albeit arguably) is the largest local IX in the Asian peninsula.

Japan can be sort of an okay contender (Due to cables running through Russia, as well as the US and APAC links), but if you need all around good connectivity within the Asian market, SG/HK are the places to be.

• I expected their RIPE /22 to run out anyway.

I believe they then started getting bigger allocations from ARIN and announced those in Amsterdam (I believe one block routed to AMS is 198.211.120.0/21, verified by traceroute from RamNode in Seattle). I guess RIPE gave DigitalOcean the finger some time after.

• @PenguinManifesto said: I guess RIPE gave DigitalOcean the finger some time after.

RIPE can now only give a /22 per LIR, and that's it.