Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Virtualizor better than SolusVM now?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Virtualizor better than SolusVM now?

BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

We are thinking of setting up Virtualizor on our new nodes and migrating to Virtualizor if all works well on the new ones. So, I want to ask mainly providers, if Virtualizor can beat SolusVM in terms of stability/reliability?

Poll not found

Comments

• Yay! Poll not found...Argh

Thanked by 1BlazingServers
    • BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:
      Yay! Poll not found...Argh

If that happens, please mention it in the comments. Thanks.

• They both suck anyway

• Both are shit but common

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep
      edited December 2016

I find Virtualizor customer support much more friendly and helpful then SolusVM but feature and stability wise my vote goes with SolusVM, but on other hand SolusVM is a bit hard to use if you are not familiar with it.

• ...And the discussion continues its meandering path through countless posts and on multiple forums

• It depends on what features/bugs you can live with, so it would be best to test it yourself. Unlike SolusVM, Virtualizor doesn't need you to register for a trial. You can run the install on any new server and the trial period starts.

• Virtualizor is very problematic I heard when you reach your 1000th VPS hosted but the Vir is very user friendly and you can contact their support on skype too.
      In my opinion the backend of Vir is worse than SolusVM's but the frontend is better.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
      edited December 2016

If I was starting from day 1 again and choosing between the 2 of them, I would go with virtualizor, the admin interface is terrible, everything is there but it takes some getting used too.

Features wise, I would say at this point SolusVM literally has 50% of the features that virtualizor has, additionally your customers only need 1 login if you use virtualizor as literally every end user feature is built in to the WHMCS module which is a huge plus.

From an end user perspective Virtualizor beats SolusVM in to the ground and takes its pocket money, SolusVM is not even close.

Virtualizor also supports more virt types, multiple storage types, multiple storage volumes per VPS, bulk migrations, automated IP changing at the point of migration (if desired) and has support for LXC and XenServer which solusvm does not.

Virtualizor may have 50% more features (maybe more), it has some huge advantages in terms of end user experience (that's the one that counts), but it does come with a lot more bugs when you scale up.

But the real bottom line now, SolusVM v1 is almost unsupported now, there is no real dev work going on for it and has not been for around 3 years, it is a dead project that is only just kept afloat by OnApp.

SolusVM Version 2 is not even in a usable Alpha format yet and it has taken OnApp 2 years and 3 months to get it to that stage, with that in mind do not expect SolusVM V2 to be available until late 2017 or even 2018.. if ever.

tl;dr if you are just starting now you would be insane to pick SolusVM.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
      edited February 2017

Thanks for the comments. I see that Virtualizor released support for OpenVZ v7 today. I am probably going to start switching over some things from Solus. The fact Virtualizor already supports OVZ 7 and LXC is a pretty good sign.

Migration looks pretty easy. I just install Virtualizor master on the Solus master and slaves on slaves. I do like the idea of everything in WHMCS user panel as well.

Since it appears I can keep both running in parallel, that would make me less dependent on one vendor. So that seems like a good move in the short term. If things go well maybe I will move everything over. Still a bit of a wait and see what is going on with Solus.

• @moonmartin said:

Thanks for the comments. I am probably going to start switching over some things from Solus.

Migration looks pretty easy. I just install Virtualizor master on the Solus master and slaves on slaves. I do like the idea of everything in WHMCS user panel as well.

Since it appears I can can keep both running in parallel, that would make me less dependent on one vendor. So that seems like a good move in the short term. If things go well maybe I will move everything over. Still a bit of a wait and see what is going on with Solus.

Was the bump even necessary?

• @moonmartin said:

Thanks for the comments. I see that Virtualizor released support for OpenVZ v7 today. I am probably going to start switching over some things from Solus. The fact Virtualizor already supports OVZ 7 and LXC is a pretty good sign.

Since it appears I can keep both running in parallel, that would make me less dependent on one vendor. So that seems like a good move in the short term. If things go well maybe I will move everything over. Still a bit of a wait and see what is going on with Solus.

Could you reach out to me at [email protected]? I'd like to discuss more about your needs and how we (SolusVM) might be able to help.

@moonmartin said:

Maybe give it a week before you start anything .. obviously if lxc and ovz7 support is not in solusvm v2 then forget it as that will be another few years if it's not there from the getgo.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
    • Yeah, Virtualizor is way ahead of the game in terms of features.

Not sure what bugs they have outstanding but if they get everything sorted it would be far more superior to SolusVM.

• Virtualizor is certainly a growing product and there seems to be a lot more focus now on bug fixing than what there is on new features as was the case in the past, I can't really say we've seen any major issues with Virtualizor recently, the modules could do with a few updates here and there but when questioning them on this they've said they're preparing some new updates to go alongside the release of the latest version.

I think there's still some features missing, it'd be nice to allow end users to upload their own custom ISOs for example, but overall I like where Virtualizor is heading currently.

edited February 2017

Its going to be interesting when V2 is finally public, it will be a real turning point for many hosts, the way I see it is this:

If SolusVM V2 is just a rewrite of V1 with bugfixes and no additional significant features then there is no reason to believe they will catch up to the feature set that virtualizor has right now even of OnApp is given 2 years to do so, for me this would be the point I abandon ship.

If SolusVM V2 supports OpenVZ 7 out of the box and has significant improvements over V1 then it will be much more interesting, the issue still remains that OnApp's support and general communication and public lack of commitment of and to SolusVM is currently appalling, hopefully Terry can turn that around (genuine hope).

If Virtualizor had just sorted the interface out and got a public bug tracker up 2 years ago, by now we would have pretty much forgotten about SolusVM.

But either way we are at a pivotal moment right now, I believe Terry has taken the bull by the horns so to speak and the coming weeks are going to be very interesting for sure so nobody should be making any big decisions until then.

Thanked by 2WSCallum Eased
    • @AnthonySmith said:

But either way we are at a pivotal moment right now, I believe Terry has taken the bull by the horns so to speak and the coming weeks are going to be very interesting for sure so nobody should be making any big decisions until then.

Did I miss some announcement about SolusVM?

• @zafouhar said: Did I miss some announcement about SolusVM?

Private provider forum.

edited February 2017

@OnApp_Terry said:

@moonmartin said:

Could you reach out to me at [email protected]? I'd like to discuss more about your needs and how we (SolusVM) might be able to help.

Hi, thanks for the ping. Any sign of life from you guys is a good thing because I have not seen much of that lately. I have no current major issues with Solus. It is more about what to do moving forward. I see lots of activity on the Virtualizor end but almost nothing from Solus. Eventually I need to look at upgrading from OpenVZ 6 since that is approaching end of life. I know OVZ7 and LXC are probably not production ready but they are ready for testing.

Maybe there is lots of activity behind the scenes with Solus that I am not aware of. It would be good to know that.

• @moonmartin said:

Do update us on your migration, i wish to know this as well.

• In my opinion, at this point of time, Virtualizor is much better than SolusVM.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

much better

• SolusVM if you want be stable and Vir if you want suffer of bugs and spend time with Vir support fixing the bugs.

• SpectrumHostSpectrumHost Member
      edited March 2017

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
      SolusVM if you want be stable and Vir if you want suffer of bugs and spend time with Vir support fixing the bugs.

Virtualizor is no more buggy. Solus might be stable, but it is not a good choice now.
      SolusVM can't fix Lets Encrypt. They can't provide Ubuntu 16.04 templates. They can't support OpenVZ 7 and LXC. They can't provide SolusVM v2 or atleast any fruitful updates in the last few years. Still you say it is better choice? Also, they can't provide a WHMCS module that includes everything in the clientarea. Now some would argue that one can just get a ModulesGarden module. But then you should also remember that Virtualizor did all this for free.

Thanked by 1Asim5haikh
    • @SpectrumHost said:

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
      SolusVM if you want be stable and Vir if you want suffer of bugs and spend time with Vir support fixing the bugs.

Virtualizor is no more buggy. Solus might be stable, but it is not a good choice now.

I'm in touch with some hosting providers and I keep hear same stories about storage bug and so on. But I would say both panels are bad, Better move to cloud :)

• @GalaxyHostPlus said:

@SpectrumHost said:

@GalaxyHostPlus said:

I'm in touch with some hosting providers and I keep hear same stories about storage bug and so on. But I would say both panels are bad, Better move to cloud :)

Actually true. Both are bugged in their own way. I have some hope on @DETio.

SpectrumHost said: I have some hope on @DETio.

Thanked by 2AshleyUk Clouvider
    • @AnthonySmith said:

SpectrumHost said: I have some hope on @DETio.

Have you installed a new GIF plugin to your browser recently ;)

AshleyUk said: Have you installed a new GIF plugin to your browser recently ;)

edited March 2017

I am not impressed with bells and whistles. So I am not judging Virtualizor on that. They have silly stuff like a firewall configurator which I would rather just do from command line. They have a bunch of other chewy gui things that I will probably never use.

It's more the support of virtualization that I am looking at. That is all changing now and they seem to be trying to stay on top of all that. So that impresses me. So I guess I am more interested in the backend and not so much the front end.

Thanked by 3Junkless lazyt WSS