Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted VMware vCenter (aka. Public VMware Cloud)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted VMware vCenter (aka. Public VMware Cloud)

So Rackspace appear to offer hosted (or managed) VMware vCenter infrastructure. But, of course it's (likely) way outside our LET pricing.

In the past, we've seen companies (e.g. Wable) offer resource pools for OpenVZ, while others had similar offerings for KVM.

I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any providers that offer resource pools but on VMware vCenter or ESXi infrastructure?

Perhaps there are a few providers somewhere that are selling user accounts on a shared vCenter instance, with each user account assigned its own resource limits?

Such a product would naturally enable customers to avoid the pain burden of managing their own ESXi infrastructure. More importantly, such offerings are bound to be much less expensive than VMware's own vCloud Air offering.

So, does anyone know such offerings? Or should I just forget the idea and throw down another ESXi box for testing?

Comments

• http://www.impactvps.com/ do, but i dont know if are VMWare.

• Thanks @dedicados but to be a little clearer, I'm looking for a user account on a VMware vCenter or ESXi hypervisor itself. More specifically, I'm looking for a user account that I could plug into VMware Workstation and manage everything from there.

• oh sorry bro.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

ZettaGrid in Australia

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • Thanks @gbshouse, spot-on for what I was looking for.

For others interested, I see Aruba cloud also provides the service but as a private cloud again.

Unfortunately, none of the options thus far have compelling prices.

• @dedicados said:
    http://www.impactvps.com/ do, but i dont know if are VMWare.

I believe they use Proxmox with Modulesgarden's Proxmox Cloud module. The screenshots in their KB look similar to MG's module.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

dedicados said: http://www.impactvps.com/ do, but i dont know if are VMWare.

jesin said: I believe they use Proxmox with Modulesgarden's Proxmox Cloud module. The screenshots in their KB look similar to MG's module.

Just for clarification, we use a highly modified custom version of Modulesgarden's Proxmox Cloud module

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I thought it was against vmware's terms to sell logins to the platform? Unless the install is just for that customer aka private cloud.

What sort of spec would you be after?

• pbgben said: I thought it was against vmware's terms to sell logins to the platform

If that's the case, then it would make sense wrt why there are no public cloud offerings.

pbgben said: What sort of spec would you be after?

Since I only need this for testing, I only need a small amount of resources (e.g. 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD). Much less than the starting-off private cloud packages.

Highly likely that I will simply drop down another VMware hypervisor myself, but I thought I'd check what the prices were for hosted counterparts.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

pbgben said: I thought it was against vmware's terms to sell logins to the platform

If that's the case, then it would make sense wrt why there are no public cloud offerings.

pbgben said: What sort of spec would you be after?

Since I only need this for testing, I only need a small amount of resources (e.g. 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD). Much less than the starting-off private cloud packages.

Highly likely that I will simply drop down another VMware hypervisor myself, but I thought I'd check what the prices were for hosted counterparts.

For testing, you are right, getting a cheap box and running your own would be a good option.

16GB ram is going to set you back $55/month, thats 1TB HDD not SSD, so no good there. Should you choose us, and take the risk of vmware cancelling your service should they choose to get all lawyer up on us. (Not likely)

• From this reddit discussion, another potential option would be Ravello.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If it's for personal use then I would just grab a dedicated from Dacentec and install the free version of ESXi on it or get the yearly subscription from VMware for cheap that comes with the vCenter license.

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2016

Why do you specifically want vmware? The CPU scheduling is wasteful, licences are expensive and GUI is bloated. I would just put whatever you need to isolate into Amazon's VPC (if you want a big name) or, if you just want a convenient way to create VMs, get a resource bundle or dedicated server with cloud-in-a-box software.

If you really do want vmware, OVH's Private Cloud does is exactly that and it's on sale now. I've used it. It's good but I would choose Amazon's VPC instead.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited December 2016

I agree @KuJoe! Was actually just hoping I could find something that could kinda scale for reasonable price. At times, my testing environment requirements vary and I didn't want to rent a powerhouse dedi where most of it would idle. I have enough VPS elsewhere idling. Anywho, I tired of hunting so I've already resorted to throwing vSphere on a cheap dedi.

@jh, performance comparisons aside, my company has already bought into VMware and I (personally) have bought into VMware Workstation. It just makes more sense for my test environment(s) to be hosted on VMware so that I can access everything through common interfaces (namely vCenter and Workstation).

@jh, thanks but even on sale, OVH's private cloud seems way above my budget for this particular test environment.