Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does ipv6 mean to you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMVPSVMVPS Member
edited April 2013 in General

As title, I noticed that many of you ask about whether or not one offer is supporting ipv6 (See examples in offers section in LET). Most of people visit website via ipv4, and even some big sites don't support ipv6. So I am wondering what you guys use ipv6 for.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Like a picture frame with no pictures. An empty gesture. Planning for something that hasn't happened no matter how many times people stomp their feet and throw a tantrum.

• There's really no demand for IPv6 for average US customers due to the lack of IPv6 support in residential equipment unless you're somehow involved with the Internet (hosting, support, etc).

• Something I will never have.

• A long and hard to remember internet address.

• Something my ISP has not supported yet.

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Be an IRC /b/tard, multiple times, for less.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Something that the internet is being lazy at adopting, even though it holds the future of the internet.

• @RobertClarke said: Something that the internet is being lazy at adopting, even though it holds the future of the internet.

+1 Chicken-egg problem here. I have IPv6 on all my servers, except for my CVPS box. It's a pretty hard requirement for me these days. I even do IPv6 only boxes. IPv4s are quite expensive and I need to explain why I need one every time. It's just crazy people/providers/ISPs don't do more with IPv6. Solves so much problems.

• marcmmarcm Member

Cisco is barely now introducing IPv6 in their CCNA 5 curriculum. I took CCNA 4 and IPv6 was absent. Those that will take CCNA 5 will have to learn dual stack networking. IIRC Cisco Packet Tracer hasn't even been updated yet to support IPv6. So IPv6 is still long way of from being fully implemented. It's a real shame, but it's reality.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited April 2013

I was a fan of IPv6 to be honest, but I highly doubt it will solve our problem with running out of IPs.

IPv6 was designed in 1998, it looked a little hipster and one of the ideas was that you didn't need DHCP anymore by appending a Mac address to a /64

The people in 1998 were thinking very generous, too generous, because of the dot com bubble. They were thinking we actually needed 340282366920940000000000000000000000000 IPs in the near future because it was growing so hard...

If they added another octet and kept the IPv4 protocol, except for 2 extra bytes they would go from 4,294,967,296 to 1,099,511,627,776 IPs

And end-users rarely understand hex either

• I only have 20GB free incoming ipv4 traffic each month, then each GB means 0.2$.

• @BronzeByte said: I was a fan of IPv6 to be honest, but I highly doubt it will solve our problem with running out of IPs.

Explain.

• I can understand what many here are saying about how little use IPv6 has now, but like it or not, someday the world will have no choice but to switch. When that day happens (and it's not so far away, 5 years tops), I want my servers to be ready. That's why I also always bug providers about it. Someone has to push it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

One silly random practical advantage that just came to mind, my ISP happens to use different upstreams for IPv4 and for IPv6, and the v4 one seems to be overloaded, so recently in the evenings I get better speeds and much lower pings over IPv6 :) Already converted my Tinc VPN mesh to run on v6-only.

Also what most people use IPv6 on VPSes today, I'd say it's to have multiple IRC hostnames, to show off, etc (a working rDNS is a must for this).

• I'd rather NOT have IPv6 on my VPS. It opens up another attack vector that I have to block with my firewall.

• IPv6 = Internet 2.0

• something no ISP want to implement. at least at D.R.

• IPv6 Means

Easier large scale network management.
    Better mobility and end to end management.
    The death of TLS/SSL due to IPsec end to end encryption.

And many many more things, i consider these the most appealing.

• ::DEAD:BEEF:CAFE

• @jarland said: Like a picture frame with no pictures. An empty gesture. Planning for something that hasn't happened no matter how many times people stomp their feet and throw a tantrum.

+1 Funny thing, I kept staring at the frame, wondering what's gonna be in it.

• as many here says, isp dont want to implement it soon.

I think they need to know how to, and replace all the routers/modems we ( customers) have.

not all are ipv6 compatible.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Like @rm_ sort of pointed out, it's a common misconception that just throwing IPv6 in place means you're fully prepared for IPv6 and you get the same network as you do with IPv4. Just because your provider has IPv6 doesn't mean they have a good set of upstream to work with it. While most upstream that we use in the datacenters support it, my experience is that even native ipv6 sometimes changes the routes and favors bad ones even if IPv4 does not. I do not yet understand the full specifics, this is why I do not yet seek to deploy it. I'm educating myself currently. Feel free to assist.

IPv6 is not without its own issues as well. As I've been studying a bit lately to prepare myself for it, I've come to some of my own conclusions with the help of others.

1. Convenience can still result in security concerns, don't be surprised that its not your savior: http://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-15/dc15-presentations/Lindqvist/Whitepaper/dc-15-lindqvist-WP.pdf

2. It is, at best, an inconvenience to mix IPv4 and IPv6 networking. There is nothing (currently) to gain, only time to lose.

3. It's a new front for security in which you cannot always apply the exact same tactics you applied to v4 and the average user cannot find anything near the wealth of tutorials that they find for v4.

4. Apt does a terrible job of falling back to v4 when the v6 network sucks to the point of being unusable.

There's no major reason not to accept IPv6, obviously. I'm not arguing that it should be discarded. Rather, I'm saying that the problems are self perpetuating. The problems that exist continue to exist because of the existence of the problems, and no one has shown an overly significant desire to step in and reduce them. The problems need dedication and money, a lot of money.

We need:
    1. More clear paths, instructions, tutorials for the end users.
    2. More consistent dedication from the upstream providers.
    3. Pressure developers of any vital software (or hardware) that does not operate desirably in a mixed environment.

Just my opinion. I'll add IPv6 but not until I'm ready to secure it properly, I'm fully educated on potential security issues that are local to the protocol, and I'm satisfied that my clients can benefit from it.

• JonathanZhangJonathanZhang Member
    edited April 2013

@DalComp said: Something my ISP has not supported yet.

yeah.

• What does IPv6 mean to me?

It means a pain in the ass that colocrossing takes technical measures to prevent me from easily using.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

faster connectivity and more IP range - without limitations.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@BronzeByte said: If they added another octet and kept the IPv4 protocol, except for 2 extra bytes they would go from 4,294,967,296 to 1,099,511,627,776 IPs

I suspect 128-bit is easier to implement in hardware than 48-bit.

But really, it's not any easier to implement 48-bit IP vs. 128-bit IP. Whatever you do, you're going to need to replace every IP stack, much of it in hardware.

I do understand your point (ipv6 addresses are unwieldy, and I agree).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@WebProject said: faster connectivity

What?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

It means I won't be able to play Warcraft III anymore because it only supports IPv4 :(

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I have had IPv6 at home for the last 3.5 years running in dual-stack with IPv4. IPv6 traffic is not counted at all which is amazing!

To me IPv6 is just another connection point. If your route to somewhere is broken over IPv4 their is a high chance it's not over IPv6. Well that's what I have found anyway. I also tend to get a lower ping over IPv6.

Just the other day my laptop didn't get allocated an IPv4 address but IPv6 was working fine. The only time I had a problem was when I went to load LET and it wouldn't load.

• I also get faster/shorter routes over IPv6 than over IPv4, somehow. For example: to Inception Hosting in Miami, I get 6ms ping less (on average) with IPv6 compared to IPv4. Only times that IPv6 ping is higher is when it's tunneled, like with BuyVM in Buffalo. Adds about 80ms to the ping.