Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[OneAsiaHost] May 2013 Important Announcement
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[OneAsiaHost] May 2013 Important Announcement

imperioimperio Member
edited April 2013 in Providers

I think @Kenshin will explain what happened/happening..

Dear Customer,

We have quite a number of very important announcements, would appreciate your kind attention. Chinese customers please try to translate this email and understand the changes that will affect your services.

1) Server & Network Maintenance, 2nd May 2013, 0000hrs - 0100hrs (GMT +0800)

We will be conducting network and server maintenance on 2nd May 2013 between 0000hrs to 0100hrs. Below will be the schedule.

0000hrs - Remove all 116.251.210.X IPs from KVM-01 and KVMSSD-01 nodes *

0030hrs - Reboot all OVZ and OVZSSD nodes for kernel update

• KVM customers on KVM-01 and KVMSSD-01 should have already received notification via ticket about the IP address change to 116.251.214.X range. Please make sure you complete this change before 1st May 2013, your old IPs (116.251.210.X) will be removed during the maintenance.

2) OVZCORE Package and Price Changes

OVZCORE has now been converted to SSD based storage as most of our customers on OVZCORE are not using large amount of storage space but tend to use high disk I/O. Switching to SSD based storage would improve the overall performance for our OVZCORE service. However, as SSD space is more expensive we cannot provide the same amount of storage space. Storage space for existing customers will be decreased as below from 1st June 2013 onwards based on the table below. Additional HDD space will also no longer be available for OVZCORE packages since we have limited SSD storage space.

OVZCORE-128: Downgrade from 10GB to 5GB SSD

OVZCORE-256: Downgrade from 20GB to 10GB SSD
OVZCORE-512: Downgrade from 40GB to 15GB SSD
OVZCORE-1024: Downgrade from 80GB to 30GB SSD
OVZCORE-2048: Downgrade from 120GB to 60GB SSD

We were also unable to secure the same bandwidth pricing for upgrading our OVZCORE network, and will need to increase the pricing for our Additional Bandwidth. OVZCORE Additional Bandwidth (500GB) price will be increased from $4 to $5. This will be applicable to all customers from 1st June 2013.

Although the SSD upgrade has improved overall VPS performance, we understand that some customers may not be agreeable to these changes and will be more than happy to arrange for refunds for remainder of your service (from 1st June 2013 onwards) if you have already paid ahead of 1st June 2013. Please contact us via a ticket and we'll work with you to arrange for a refund.

3) OVZ-512 and OVZ-1024 Harddisk Change (New Orders Only)

Our new nodes for OVZ will be deployed using slightly different harddisk configuration and so the HDD space for OVZ-512/OVZ-1024 plans will be reduced to 30GB and 60GB respectively (previously 40GB/80GB). This is only for new orders and does not affect existing VPS. If you currently have one of these packages you may notice your WHMCS account showing 30GB/60GB storage but SolusVM or your VPS will show the correct 40GB/80GB.

4) KVM & KVMSSD Major Update

We have had 2 issues with our KVM and KVMSSD plans. Firstly, we were informed by our Windows license provider that we can no longer allow customers to provide their own license for Windows VPSes. Secondly, we have been experiencing high amount of CPU and I/O abuse from our KVM nodes, quite a number who are using Windows on our servers.

We wish to apologize to our KVM customers who have been affected by the reduced performance due to abuse. We have since sent out emails to all customers who have persistently abused the CPU or I/O on our KVM service, we aim to improve the performance back to normal levels within the week. Customers who are sent the abuse notice will be given 1 week to resolve the abuse, otherwise we will have to cancel and refund their services.

All customers running Windows on our KVM or KVMSSD packages will have to cancel their services from 1st June 2013 onwards. Customers running Linux on KVM/KVMSSD VPS will not be affected. We will also stop providing the Windows ISO for installation from 1st May 2013 onwards. Windows KVM/KVMSSD customers who already paid for 1st June 2013 will be provided with a refund from 1st June 2013, or given credit to switch to our new Windows VPS package.

For customers who wish to continue running their Windows VPS, we have worked out new packages which include the Windows license costs and will be hosted on a separate SSD node with less VPS per server compared to our KVM node. We will be emailing all KVM customers separately the private links to sign up for these packages later in May 2013 as they will get priority, public release will be 2 weeks after.

[WinSSD-1024 Package]

1 CPU Core
1024MB RAM (1GB)
30GB SSD HDD Space
400GB Bandwidth
Windows License Included
$35/month

[WinSSD-2048 Package]

2 CPU Core
2048MB RAM (2GB)
60GB SSD HDD Space
800GB Bandwidth
Windows License Included
$65/month

We apologize for the disruption these changes may have caused you, but appreciate your understanding that OneAsiaHost is a budget provider and we may need to adjust our product and prices every now and then to cope with market changes. We will be more than happy to arrange for refunds for customer who do not agree with the changes, please just open a ticket and discuss with us.

We'll be sending another announcement later on May which will talk about our Europe network upgrade and also UK VPS services that we will be launching. OneAsiaHost's first order was on 4th May 2012, and we'll be 1 year in the business, the next announcement will be a more positive one!

Kenshin

OneAsiaHost

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

For the short time I used OneAsiaHost you guys have been awesome.

Thanks @Kenshin for all your hard work! Good luck with this!

• @HalfEatenPie I do not work hard for them just a customer of OneAsiaHost :)

• @imperio said: I do not work hard for them just a customer of OneAsiaHost :)

Oh. Well... Edited. Anyways though, haha thanks for the heads up!

• @imperio said: I think @Kenshin will explain what happened/happening..

I think the email itself is pretty self explanatory, is there anything you're not getting from the email?

• marcmmarcm Member

@Kenshin - I need to get a VPS from you at some point for our DNS network. I like to provide good DNS query speed all around the globe. Where is your data center located?

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited April 2013

Epsilon Global Hub, Singapore. In Singapore there's not much difference which datacentre it is, between one end to another end of the country it's 1ms difference. Singapore is small, very small.

If you want good DNS query speed, anycast it. Tag onto Rage4 if you want a done solution. I run my own anycast for the parent company, SG + UK + 3 sites in US for full coverage. Not perfect, but doesn't cost me too much other than having a whole bloody /24 sitting there.

• I am curious how the people was abusing I/O on both openvz and kvm nodes.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Kenshin - Thanks allot for the info, I will definitively get one :-)

• Is there more stock for KVM?

• ah that explains why there were so many complaints on the kvm package from oah.

• perfomance is great, cpu is fine, network is good.
    only one problem - they cannot to tank ddos attacks smaller than 100mbit/s; they just nullroute you.

• @imperio said: I am curious how the people was abusing I/O on both openvz and kvm nodes.

OVZ not so much I/O abuse, I had a few CPU abuse cases which were a pain to deal with because they spiked heavily, then stopped. As long as it doesn't go beyond 15 minutes and too many times per week I don't kick a big fuss, everyone has those days. But of course the high use customers would detect this quickly and kick a fuss, but I stand by my policy so I'm prepared to lose these high use customers to be honest. My policy as it stands now, price is low, give and take a little. If it's overly disruptive I'll do something about it, otherwise please buy a dedicated if you can't stand 15 minutes of high load from another customer. If not I need to be a fair "asshole" and terminate the customer for abusing CPU for 15 minutes due to a possible surge of visitors as well as terminate every other customer who spikes, including the complainants who also run websites that has occasional spikes.

KVM was irritating as hell. I had an idea who were the culprits, but I wasn't sure because the I/O queue had already caused everyone's iowait to spike by the time I got to it. In the past it was manageable, usually dieing down in 15 minutes or so. Recently it's been persistent for hours, so I did what I generally hated to do, shutdown VPSes that were abusive and send abuse email out. What they were running inside, I had no idea. Majority Windows, couple of Linux. Doesn't help that a lot of KVM customer don't enable virtio even though my ISOs have integrated virtio drivers then whine about low transfer speeds especially during load.

Just for the record, no overselling for KVM RAM, OVZ RAM is oversold x2 and a full node's actual usage is 50% (Node 32GB, sell 64GB, actual use 16GB). My prices are high due to bandwidth, I don't need to squeeze customers in servers since new nodes cost way less than bandwidth. Just clarifying since there was another thread about us possibly overselling.

PS. Sorry for the rant

@764664 said: Is there more stock for KVM?

Nope, and I can't say if we're going to have stock at all. I might not setup anymore KVM nodes. I spent 2 days cleaning up KVM's abuse and I'm starting to get sick of it. KVMSSD has much more managed load and I/O usage, probably due to the lack of space people can't really run abusive stuff, will probably concentrate more there.

@cosmicgate said: ah that explains why there were so many complaints on the kvm package from oah

Yeah I apologize for the other KVM customers getting involved in the mess. The main node in question was our first KVM node, was fine the good part of the whole year since it was deployed 1 year ago and filled up in about 3 months so we're talking about the same few customers on the node. I basically told a few high CPU or I/O customers to prepare to pack up and leave, then came the Windows license issue so more customers need to pack up and leave. I'm already prepared for a huge reputation drop with the announcements, but I have had some of the customers who although complained about KVM issues, still stick with me through the abuse, so I had to do something for these customers despite the flak that I'll probably get.

@neqste said: perfomance is great, cpu is fine, network is good.

only one problem - they cannot to tank ddos attacks smaller than 100mbit/s; they just nullroute you.

Thanks for the feedback. Sadly bandwidth costs between $20-30 per mbps at 100mbps commit, China direct bandwidth costs $100/mbps, the two major ISPs in Singapore do DDOS filtering up to 1gbps and charge you 5 digits/month. It's just too expensive to do DDOS protection in Singapore or Asia for that matter, we'll simply refund you and recommend you find a DDOS protected VPS.

• @Kenshin said: My prices are high due to bandwidth

This is the culprit.

• @vRozenSch00n said: This is the culprit.

Can't be helped, Asia is over 90% reliant on submarine cables. US/EU uses terrestrial cable on ground so it's so much cheaper and easier to deploy/maintain. Cost of 100mbps in US used to be is 1mbps in SG, now it's about 100:10 ($1 vs $10 @ 1G commit), getting closer.

• @Kenshin said: Cost of 100mbps in US used to be is 1mbps in SG, now it's about 100:10 ($1 vs $10 @ 1G commit), getting closer.

+1

• @Kenshin said: Can't be helped, Asia is over 90% reliant on submarine cables.

Yeah, that's too bad. Singapore should have been a good place for cheap bandwidth offering data center as it is located in the intersection of South East Asia.

• @vRozenSch00n said: Yeah, that's too bad. Singapore should have been a good place for cheap bandwidth offering data center as it is located in the intersection of South East Asia.

Correct, but it also gives ISPs in Singapore the power to twist your arm in terms of pricing because you have no choice but to land in Singapore if you want the best of both worlds (Asia+EU+US) since it's right inbetween. We're <100ms to Asia, 180-200ms from EU (west-bound via SMW3/4) and 180ms-200ms from LAX/SJC. HK is 35ms closer to USA but towards EU you need to pass by Singapore so 35ms further. Most transit providers in HK tend to by-default offload to USA, so bandwidth pricing there I heard can be slightly better than SG.

One of the reason for the drop in bandwidth pricing is due to overcapacity of transport between US-Asia, so providers are starting to ask "Where's your bandwidth going, EU or US?" and try to sell you cheaper if you're mainly US bound, or simply route all your traffic purely over US. The EU-Asia route (SMW3/4) is pretty much the only path and due to that, prices have not dropped as much, and any provider who uses that path will not dare to sell you bandwidth too cheaply otherwise if you do use a lot of EU capacity and pay peanuts they'll be in trouble.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited April 2013

@Kenshin said: pay peanuts they'll be in trouble

Heh heh heh you pay peanut, you ain't get ponies driven network, but you get monkey driven network :P

unless if the monkey is Sun Go Kong :P

• @Kenshin said: ISPs in Singapore the power to twist your arm

Hmm... seriously I miss the "Thanks" button.

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@Kenshin said: ISPs in Singapore the power to twist your arm

Another example I noticed is Indonesian ISPs. Maybe due to 99% of traffic routed through Singapore (or any other reasons), the costs of transit there is US$250 / Mbps for 100Mbps commit. That's 10x more expensive than Singapore, and 100x more expensive than US/EU :p