Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free server contest to start VPS company? Did this happen?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free server contest to start VPS company? Did this happen?

DamianDamian Member
edited April 2013 in General

So I was out in the garage cleaning some engine parts and had a thought:

Wasn't there some kind of contest on LEB/LET to win a server for like 6 months or something so that you can start a VPS company?

Did this actually happen, or am I goofy from engine cleaner? If it actually happened, what company resulted? I have the thought that this all happened like 8-10+ months ago, so seems like it should be up and running and announced and all that... unless i'm hallucinating.

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Yes it did, however the winner has still to get the project running, you surely have not missed the perhaps subtle but constant digs on the subject :)

• Ah-ha, thanks! Can't say I read every thread on here, and must have missed this one.

@Jack said: slagging off @domincl the other week and I told him he was taking the piss.

I wish I had any idea wtf this meant....

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

So he's using it to avoid being sent back to prison?

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited April 2013

The discussion of preemptive banning of people sounds very unusual and opens up a lot of ethical issues such as how do you judge, how much information is to be provided and are we taking up favorites

• My honest opinion here. If you had a solid business plan and strategy then it shouldn't take too long to start the host, just my two cents.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Aren't you tired of it yet ?
    @pubcrawler knows this is a conspiracy to do some publicity for cc without actually delivering any server and blame the little guy. Francisco and Tim are all part of it, of course.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited April 2013

@Jack said: Slagging off Domincl ^

My reply;

Well, judging from what's happening at "PremiumVM" today I am sure people will agree with me that it is a good idea for me to take my time and do it slowly rather than starting everything in 30 seconds like what @dominicl did.

What I don't understand is that because I did follow my own steps on the kickstarter competition, does that make me someone who can't discuss and contribute to the rest of the community? My thread, @jack, was about something completely irrelevant and was based on facts and past history and has nothing to do with kick-starter competition and therefore I would really appreciate if you could enlighten me why you want to troll me in a completely legitimate thread.

• @Maounique said: @pubcrawler knows this is a conspiracy to do some publicity for cc without actually delivering any server and blame the little guy. Francisco and Tim are all part of it, of course.

No they are not, at least I have not requested it so I think it is unfair to blame anyone else for it.

• @doughmanes said: The discussion of preemptive banning of people sounds very unusual and opens up a lot of ethical issues such as how do you judge, how much information is to be provided and are we taking up favorites

If you are willing to search for the history of @dominicl on LET and how many times he has started his PremiumVM brand and close it off in like a week or two, you probably won't think it is "unethical".

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: No they are not, at least I have not requested it so I think it is unfair to blame anyone else for it.

I am sorry, I thought the joke was obvious...

• marcmmarcm Member

@Damian - Brake Cleaner / Engine Cleaner can create hallucinations if inhaled in moderate to large quantities. Also, keep away from sparks / fire source and out of reach for children.

• @Maounique said: I am sorry, I thought the joke was obvious...

Haha, sorry, I am just getting a bit sensitive and tired that I get questions like this every single week and it seems that I can't start any meaningful discussions on this forum anymore without being trolled by someone because of this competition.

• @zhuanyi said: If you are willing to search for the history of @dominicl on LET and how many times he has started his PremiumVM brand and close it off in like a week or two, you probably won't think it is "unethical".

What do you suggest to fix this?

Folks can chargeback and get their fund back. He'll go into negative balance and well, Paypal protected the seller.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: Haha, sorry, I am just getting a bit sensitive and tired that I get questions like this every single week and it seems that I can't start any meaningful discussions on this forum anymore without being trolled by someone because of this competition.

• @doughmanes said: What do you suggest to fix this?

Folks can chargeback and get their fund back. He'll go into negative balance and well, Paypal protected the seller.

And that is why I have told him, not getting into the business until he is older and more mature, which IMO is a way to help him. Yet he chose not to listen and continue to move on with his business which even though he promised to stick with his business plan, has obviously not done so as far as I can see.

I don't think kids should be punished, I don't think it is fair for them, after all, we have all being young once and made tonnes of stupid mistakes.

• marcmmarcm Member

I want to let everyone know here that as far as I know @zhuanyi is actively working on this project however time is a problem and he wants to get it right the first time. How I know this? Well, I helped him every time I could or he asked :-). I have every confidence that when @zhuanyi is good and ready he will launch his hosting business.

• Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

• @marcm said: I want to let everyone know here that as far as I know @zhuanyi is actively working on this project however time is a problem and he wants to get it right the first time. How I know this? Well, I helped him every time I could or he asked :-). I have every confidence that when @zhuanyi is good and ready he will launch his hosting business.

Really appreciate the Xen stack you have provided! @marcm has been offering me countless pieces of advice along the way and I really appreciate your help!

• ZettaZetta Member

@marcm said: I want to let everyone know here that as far as I know @zhuanyi is actively working on this project however time is a problem and he wants to get it right the first time. How I know this? Well, I helped him every time I could or he asked :-). I have every confidence that when @zhuanyi is good and ready he will launch his hosting business.

Is this a summer joke? I can't tell.

• @Zetta said: Is this a summer joke? I can't tell.

Well, if it is were to be a summer joke I should have started the next day when I won the competition, run it for 6 months where I need to pay nothing and then make tonnes and money and close the business!

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited April 2013

What I don't understand is why people would consider the fact that I am testing everything out by renting server out of my own pocket, buying SolusVM and WHCMS license out of my own pocket and even buying stacklet images out of my own pocket BEFORE I am asking anything out of the LEB fund, a bad thing. Like what I said, I can always start it today and essentially use everyone who are signing up with me as guinea pigs and testing things out along the way and hope it would work (much like what PremiumVM is doing), is that something this community would prefer?

And just to be absolutely and crystal clear:

So far I have not requested for any server/software from LEB/LET, and so far nothing out of LEB/LET fund was taken by me. Nobody is losing any money because of my late start except me as I am paying for my test server and software license. Hope that is OK with everyone.

• @Damian : Waiting you starting one... :D

• @Rikimaru90 said: @Damian : Waiting you starting one... :D

Wat?

• @Damian said: @Rikimaru90 said: @Damian : Waiting you starting one... :D

Wat?

@Damian has IPXcore which I have to say is really great! Servers are fast and support answers tickets really quickly, if you are in need of a server you should definitely consider one from them. @Damian definitely knows this stuff.

• Rikimaru90Rikimaru90 Member
    edited April 2013

@Damian, Start a contest with a 6 month free server... so I can start a VPS business using it.. :p

• @Rikimaru90 said: Start a contest with a 6 month free server... so I can start a VPS business using it.. :p

I don't think he has any plan to provide dedicated hosting service any time soon. :)

• @zhuanyi, Dunno, just a suggestion, because I once his client on budget vps plan and I really love the performance.. Cool if someone can win his dedicated server.. Hehe.. :D

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: If you are willing to search for the history of @dominicl on LET and how many times he has started his PremiumVM brand and close it off in like a week or two, you probably won't think it is "unethical".

Baiscally to let @doughmanes know in a nutshell.

It was a warm September (2012) day when DominicL created SwitchVM. He contacted many VPS Companies on recommendations and how-to's, and totally disregarded their recommendations and immediately did the opposite. With almost no funding and a free one month server (I believe it was from LSN and then IOFlood?), he set forth to create his company. He constantly demanded people purchase his services and for those who have already purchased them, to pay for their renewal. Even funnier, is that within a few days (or was it weeks?) of starting up, he already considered expansion and requested help from the Community.
    By October, he "sold" it to NinjaHawk.

@Chief said: 1st month, server was free. Left DC after 1st month.

2nd month, server was 50% discount. "Sold" his "company" on the second month.

Then a period of purchasing dedicated servers (then demanding refunds (I remember someone was angry at him for demanding refunds)) happened for a while and of course a public apology stating he wouldn't start up again in the near future and Another Apology.

dominicl said: I didn't have enough money to keep SwitchVM going.

dominicl said: I won't be starting a hosting company until I'm at least 18, probably older. That is, if i'm still interested in hosting.

Then, December comes along, and LO AND BEHOLD! PremiumVM! Then in January (I believe?) he can no longer maintain it and sells it to HudsonValleyHost.

And... April 5th, 2013 he starts up PremiumVM again.

Am I the only person who sees the trend here? He makes a host, runs it for about a month, then sells it, then says "I'm not experienced enough/I don't have the funds/Something else took my time" and then followed by "I'll do it right next time/I won't go into this market next time without better preparations/etc.". Then he also has issues with security (you'd expect a VPS provider should know even basic/proper password rules) and basically has his entire operation compromised. And then he just does it again (creating the VPS Companies).

dominicl said: I log onto my computer this morning to find my site gone with the GoDaddy park page up, my dedicated server gone, and I can't log into any client areas for anything at all.

@doughmanes, LET can be unreasonable at times but honestly it should be fine because it's for extreme cases such as this stated above. I understand this is a simple case study and (probably) an isolated case (lets hope so), but this is what we're trying to prevent.

Also, just adding my two cents here, this is why I support @zhuanyi more. He knows how much time investment it can be (a ton of it is just waiting and just passive monitoring but when time gets real, its a major time investment), he knows what is to be expected of, and honestly is waiting till the right time to get it done. He's making sure his first try is the right/best try, and honestly once you start you can't really "unstart". Its his prize, leave him alone and quit complaining about it (to other people).

Edit: Well, this thread has taken a different turn. Regardless, I'm leaving this up here.

Edit: I'm sure dominic is really busy with the issues that came up today, and I really wish him (and his customers) the best. I personally just don't understand though why he continues to operate it without more thought.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Also, just adding my two cents here, this is why I support @zhuanyi more. He knows how much time investment it can be (a ton of it is just waiting and just passive monitoring but when time gets real, its a major time investment), he knows what is to be expected of, and honestly is waiting till the right time to get it done. He's making sure his first try is the right/best try, and honestly once you start you can't really "unstart". Its his prize, leave him alone and quit complaining about it (to other people).

Thanks, you are right, I do not want to run this business into a havoc and run away and come back in 6 months and repeat the same again. If I can get this to work, great, if in case something really unfortunate happens and this does not work out, I'd stay out of this business. I am serious with anything that I start, but on the other hand, I am well-aware that VPS is a very competitive business and is not the only way I can make a living.

This discussion has been closed.