Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plan types ("Normal", "Storage", etc) -- Implied AUP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plan types ("Normal", "Storage", etc) -- Implied AUP?

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there is an implied AUP when a provider labels an offer as a special type, such as "Storage".

For instance, I've seen some storage type offers with lots of disk space, medium bandwidth, small ram/cpu, etc. But what if I purchased that plan and ended up putting a little web server or some other service on there? Would this generally also be fine too, or is there an implied restriction to the AUP in these types of offers? (ie: Storage plans aren't to be used for web servers). Assume I don't cause load/disk/net to violate normal AUP terms.

Thank you for your time

Comments

• It depends entirely on the provider. Most seem to not mind what you do, as long as you respect their TOS/AUP and aren't interfering with other customers on your node.

• lol I love your sig

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Unless the TOS explicitly says otherwise, nobody is likely to care if you put up a small web server that gets a few hits a day, doesn't attract abuse, and doesn't consume many iops (i.e. don't run a database behind the web server). They have worse problems with people running seedboxes and the like on storage nodes.

If you're buying cheap storage I'd say you should expect the cpu and disks to be pretty feeble (software raid can eat lots of cpu etc). And the nodes get slowed down even more by people with unrealistic expectations running those seedboxes etc. If I wanted to start a cheap storage service I think I'd do it as scp/sftp-only, like Hetzner's StorageBox product, instead of hosting user vps's on it.

Me, I prefer not to have any public-facing services on any storage container just out of security paranoia. I haven't gotten it together yet but I'm planning to firewall all my storage away from the internet, so that the only way to get to it is from a jump host (dedicated locked down vps with a whitelisted address) on a separate machine through a 2FA-authenticated VPN etc (maybe I'm behind the times but that was recommended practice a few years ago). If you also want to run a small web site, I'd use a separate vps--they're crazy cheap around here (think lowendspirit.com).

BuyVM ( @Francisco ) may be an exception to the above, since they embraced the thrashing and now provision storage servers with a beefy amount of cpu and memory so running other services can work pretty well. However, the cost per TB is, let us say, midrange rather than low by today's LET standards.