Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No more "don't take it personally, it's just business"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No more "don't take it personally, it's just business"

DieselDiesel Member
edited April 2013 in General

Have you seen this weird thread over at WHT? What do you think about this approach?
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1260707

Comments

• MrXMrX Member

If it works for him, why not.

• @MrX I guess... He could improve the 90s website though. BTW, is ExoticVPS your website? I'm a big fan.

• MrXMrX Member

@Diesel said: @MrX I guess... He could improve the 90s website though.

It might very well attract the demographic he's looking for (older or web-inexperienced people), though advertising on WHT speaks a bit against that.

@Diesel said: BTW, is ExoticVPS your website? I'm a big fan.

Yes, it is - and thanks!

• markmark Member

Incredibly expensive for shared hosting though. Especially as with a web site like that, I'm going to assume he's bought a reseller account on eBay for $20 a year...

• twaintwain Member

His hosting packages all come with SSI - sweet some extra income.

• @mark You're just another puppet of the big corporations. Not to mention Illuminati.

• jeffjeff Member

I going to start bigplanshosting.com except I will only list what you get and not the price. If you have to ask how much, then you probably can't afford it!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have a friend who wrote a book on psychology. Her publisher offered to set up a web site for her for $75/month. The site they offered was a cookie-cutter static site. She asked me if it was a good deal.

I can't blame her - she's a psychologist, not a computer person. She knows how to use email and the web but setting up and running a web site is nothing she has experience with.

I put up a site on some shared hosting for her with a wordpress template, etc. and she's quite content, but my point is that she considered paying $75/month. She's a close family friend so I didn't charge her, but if I had charged her $10/month she'd still have been delighted.

There's a lot of people who don't want to take the time to learn how to FTP, configure Wordpress, write "just a little custom HTML," etc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

There's a difference in being impersonal and being professional. I'm not afraid to call my approach more professional than his. I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks I'm less personal. Me and Ryan put our faces on it, we know that we have assumed personal responsibility for our business, but we've also taken the appropriate steps to register as a business and utilize proper accounting.

I'm not trying to talk about myself just to do it, but because I think me and Ryan went about the same goal and I'd like go think we kept some of the professionalism that some people would like you to think can't be combined with the personal approach.

I'm also not trying to tear this guy down, I hope the best for him. I just think the whole avoiding any appearance of professionalism in effort to appear more personal is a bad idea.

• lpnlpn Member
    edited April 2013

from the wht:

hosting I feel is so good I put my own name on it

... but not on the whois of the hosting domain, although it is on the whois of the domain that he uses for name servers... strange

Now to the topic, many people prefer to have a particular person that they would call in case of a problem, rather than speaking to a different CSR every time.

$10/mo is pretty reasonable for many people who know nothing about webhosting and who live in developed countries (think of the price of 2 coffees or 1-2 packs of cigarettes).

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

A website from before I was born, judging on the pricing of the disks space, I'd say that his hardware vendor also sticks with prices from 10 years ago as well. I'm so not signing up.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

But you're hardly the target market.

• @jarland said: but because I think me and Ryan went about the same goal

Did you mean Ryan and I?

/troll

@TheLinuxBug said: Did you mean Ryan and I?

I am from East Texas and I reject your gramer.

• @jarland /troll Do you mean grammar?

Gramer? Yeh thet.