Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon SES vs Sendgrid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon SES vs Sendgrid

drdrakedrdrake Member
edited December 2016 in General

Which one do you use and why? I have been using sendgrid and I love their web app for reporting and analytics. Great deliverability too.

I want to see some reviews about Amazon SES. It's so cheap and tempting. One downside is no link tracking but this can be covered by my marketing app.

Which SMTP relay is better?
  1. Which SMTP relay is better?36 votes
    1. Amazon SES
      58.33%
    2. Sendgrid
      41.67%

Comments

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

Paired with an Email marketing application (EMA), Mailcheap's Dedicated SMTP Relays can offer much more mails/mo. (no limits, no overages) and high deliverability.

Rates for sending 1MM mails/mo.

Mailcheap (XSmall plan) = $59/mo.

Amazon SES = $100/mo. Charged extra for attachments ($0.12 per GB of attachments), dedicated IPs ($25/IP), data transfer, etc.

Sendgrid = $535/mo.

Thanked by 2Umair inthecloudblog
  • @mailcheap do you spoof backend IP?

@tr1cky said:
    @mailcheap do you spoof backend IP?

No.

• @mailcheap said:
    Paired with an Email marketing application (EMA), Mailcheap's Dedicated SMTP Relays can offer much more mails/mo. (no limits, no overages) and high deliverability.

Amazon SES = $100/mo.

Sendgrid = $535/mo.

I actually send only 30k-50k monthly. Not sure if your service would be better.

• Is Mandrill/MailChimp a 3rd party option?

@OnApp_Terry said:
    Is Mandrill/MailChimp a 3rd party option?

Too expensive; close to $10k for sending 1MM mails/mo.

edited December 2016

@drdrake said:

@mailcheap said:

Amazon SES = $100/mo.

Sendgrid = $535/mo.

Amazon SES is cheaper than Sendgrid on paper but you get charged extra for attachments ($0.12 per GB of attachments), dedicated IPs ($25/IP), data transfer, etc.

Whereas with Mailcheap, you pay a fixed price for your dedicated service (XSmall: 3 dedicated IPs, dedicated filter, dedicated relay, backup relays) and there are no hidden/additional charges.

• I recommend @Mailcheap It was undergone a serious test by GOD of Email @jarland

So give them a try and post an review

But as far as we see them they know their stuff

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@simonindia said:
    I recommend @Mailcheap It was undergone a serious test by GOD of Email @jarland

Yep. Mailcheap is legit.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @jarland said:

@simonindia said:

Yep. Mailcheap is legit.

Is 100% deliverability is happening

Thanked by 1mailcheap

@simonindia said:

@jarland said:

@simonindia said:

Yep. Mailcheap is legit.

It is when I haven't made mistakes preventing it from doing so. Also sometimes things hit the quarantine and I have to review and release, which gets difficult if a thousand or so emails get stuck in it because it becomes difficult to tell what you've released on refresh, since you have to release and then delete from quarantine in two actions. (Select all, release, select all, delete, not too many at once or modoboa freaks out)

But aside from quarantine weirdness it's quite solid. Most others probably wouldn't deal with the quarantine like I have, I pushed a significant volume through it.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
    edited December 2016

@jarland said:

@simonindia said:

@jarland said:

@simonindia said:

Yep. Mailcheap is legit.

It is when I haven't made mistakes preventing it from doing so. Also sometimes things hit the quarantine and I have to review and release, which gets difficult if a thousand or so emails get stuck in it because it becomes difficult to tell what you've released on refresh, since you have to release and then delete from quarantine in two actions. (Select all, release, select all, delete, not too many at once or modoboa freaks out)

But aside from quarantine weirdness it's quite solid. Most others probably wouldn't deal with the quarantine like I have, I pushed a significant volume through it.

Appreciate the feedback :)

Attached reference on how to remove released messages in control panel; also marking messages as 'Not spam' before releasing will train filters. Quarantine help here.

@mailcheap said:

@jarland said:

@simonindia said:

@jarland said:

@simonindia said:

Yep. Mailcheap is legit.

Attached reference on how to remove released messages in control panel; also marking messages as 'Not spam' before releasing will train filters. Quarantine help here.

Yeah it seems to ignore that setting for me. I just wrote it off as modoboa's dev status but I suppose I should open a ticket next time I get some stuff in it and let you take a look :)

Thanked by 1mailcheap

@jarland said:

@mailcheap said:

@jarland said:

@simonindia said:

@jarland said:

@simonindia said:

Yep. Mailcheap is legit.

Yeah it seems to ignore that setting for me. I just wrote it off as modoboa's dev status but I suppose I should open a ticket next time I get some stuff in it and let you take a look :)

Sure; just drop us a ticket and it'll be taken care of.

• @mailcheap said:

@drdrake said:

@mailcheap said:

Amazon SES = $100/mo.

Sendgrid = $535/mo.

Amazon SES is cheaper than Sendgrid on paper but you get charged extra for attachments ($0.12 per GB of attachments), dedicated IPs ($25/IP), data transfer, etc.

Whereas with Mailcheap, you pay a fixed price for your dedicated service (XSmall: 3 dedicated IPs, dedicated filter, dedicated relay, backup relays) and there are no hidden/additional charges.

Yeah i know your offer is better for a lot of emails but as i said, i am just sending a few thousand.

I have actually requested from you a smaller plan on facebook but it couldn't be done. I have you on my list for future plans.

@drdrake said:

@mailcheap said:

@drdrake said:

@mailcheap said:

Amazon SES = $100/mo.

Sendgrid = $535/mo.

Yeah i know your offer is better for a lot of emails but as i said, i am just sending a few thousand.

I have actually requested from you a smaller plan on facebook but it couldn't be done. I have you on my list for future plans.

Correct, smaller plans aren't available currently since its a dedicated service.

• An E-Mail service that does not spoof the backend IP is totally useless.

edited December 2016

@tr1cky said:
    An E-Mail service that does not spoof the backend IP is totally useless.

That seems like an incomplete statement. Not everyone desires such a thing. My numbers estimate about 3 out of 1,000.

• @mailcheap said:

This looks really interesting. One of my clients been bugging me for a while to find him a solution to send a newsletter to few thousand emails. I been considering getting Sendy and SES setup for him.

Your pricing looks really interesting. which "Email marketing application" would you recommend to managing emails/newsletter with your setup ?

edited December 2016

@Umair said:

@mailcheap said:

This looks really interesting. One of my clients been bugging me for a while to find him a solution to send a newsletter to few thousand emails. I been considering getting Sendy and SES setup for him.

Your pricing looks really interesting. which "Email marketing application" would you recommend to managing emails/newsletter with your setup ?

Thank you for your interest in Mailcheap. I'd recommend Mautic -open source EMA/marketing automation- since its widely supported by a lot of web hosts and its also easy to self host with Bitnami installer.

Pavin.

• I use Mailgun and love their logging feature. If you signup via Rackspace you get 50K emails free every month - http://www.mailgun.com/rackspace

• @mailcheap

I'm also using Sendy + Amazon SES but your offer seems to better meet my needs. Is there any way to fully integrate Sendy with Mailcheap? If not you should think about it.. I'm sure it would bring you a lot more clients ;)

Anyway, Sendy also allows to set an external SMTP, but when it's activated Sendy will not get the statistics. So could there be a way to send using Sendy and then look at the stats (clicks, opens, bounces, spam complaint, etc..) on Mailcheap control panel?

Thanked by 1Umair

@nqservices said:
    @mailcheap

I'm also using Sendy + Amazon SES but your offer seems to better meet my needs. Is there any way to fully integrate Sendy with Mailcheap? If not you should think about it.. I'm sure it would bring you a lot more clients ;)

Anyway, Sendy also allows to set an external SMTP, but when it's activated Sendy will not get the statistics. So could there be a way to send using Sendy and then look at the stats (clicks, opens, bounces, spam complaint, etc..) on Mailcheap control panel?

Thank you for your interest in Mailcheap. Any EMA/application that supports SMTP can be used with the service. I'm not familiar with Sendy so I can't speak for why it may not support stats with external SMTP but you could use a FOSS alternative like Mautic which is much more powerful at marketing automation.

Pavin.

• @jarland said:

@tr1cky said:
    An E-Mail service that does not spoof the backend IP is totally useless.

That seems like an incomplete statement. Not everyone desires such a thing. My numbers estimate about 3 out of 1,000.

Clients simply don't know that they need it. And when they find out it's usually because their backend is ddosed to oblivion.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited December 2016

tr1cky said: And when they find out it's usually because their backend is ddosed to oblivion.

That's too many assumptions though. You're assuming what clients are using email for in general. If you separate out the ones that are sending from websites at all, then separate out the ones that are doing anything at the DNS level to hide their web server IP to begin with, you're immediately down to a small fraction of users.

Then you further break that down into ones that don't have DDOS protection on the web server and, at least for my client base, you've identified a small percentage. Off the top of my head I'd guesstimate a maximum of 10%, and I'm trying to be generous with my guess.

• @nqservices said:
    @mailcheap

Looks like I need to spend some time with Sendy and Mailcheap. I have used sendy in the past and was pretty easy. Never used Mautic before. (or even heard of before this thread :P ) Going to look into that as well. Project for next weekend I guess :)

@mailcheap any other recommendations besides Mautic ??

(even if it a paid tool with low cost)

edited December 2016

@Umair said:

@nqservices said:
    @mailcheap

Looks like I need to spend some time with Sendy and Mailcheap. I have used sendy in the past and was pretty easy. Never used Mautic before. (or even heard of before this thread :P ) Going to look into that as well. Project for next weekend I guess :)

@mailcheap any other recommendations besides Mautic ??

(even if it a paid tool with low cost)

Other EMA's that come to mind are Mailwizz (paid) & OpenEMM, Mailtrain (FOSS).

Pavin.

• @mailcheap

Will Mailwizz work properly with Mailcheap? I mean can we send email newsletetrs from Mailwizz using Mailcheap SMTP Relay and then get all the stats inside Mailwizz?

• mailgun is a similar product that has a continuing free tier. Mailgun also has a nice rest api, which I like better than direct SMTP (other services may have this as well).

• use Amazon SES myself as it hides the origin server's IP address unlike most smtp providers

Thanked by 1deadbeef