Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HVH or RamNode VPS, And Sever4You or Softlayer for Network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HVH or RamNode VPS, And Sever4You or Softlayer for Network

Hi folks,

1) Question Regarding VPS

I'm currently hosting with a unmanaged VPS provider my usage is: 15 WP sites, 15 MySQL, WP-cache enabled, 8-10 Plugins each (10x15=150 total), 5000 posts each, on 2 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD space, 1.5 core. By next year end it will be 20 sites or so.

Recently I got a deal from HVH regarding unmanaged VPS (OpenVZ). The pricing is $5/mo and specs are 300 GB HDD (no SSD cache), 4 cores, 4 GB RAM on E3 machine. The regular pricing is $20/mo. I had been their Managed VPS customer before and once-a-while (twice or thrice a month) did have to log in my panel to restart VPS or through my panel restart Apache, or MySQL server as it used to go down. The speed and connectivity was OK, but tech support was not that 'pro' about servers. Though I had no major bad instances with them, HVH was okay. My question is should I consider HVH offer listed above for my "business' WP sites??

Or Should I go with RamNode HDD OpenVZ plans (they are SSD-cached) 4 cores, 1GB RAM, 200 BG HDD $10/mo or same spec, 2GB RAM for $20/mo?

Which one of them sounds good in terms of peace-of-mind, reliability for my developed sites?

2) Question Regarding Network/Connectivity of Server4You or Softlayer

One of my client wants to host unmanaged VPS and dedis in either Server4You (HEG datacenter St.Louis, Missorie) or Softlayer (Dallas). He has his team of Pro to handle everything of the Server, and he only wants a comparative recommendation about Network/Connectivity to choose one of them. He has 40-50% traffic from U.S., rest from EU, South Asia. Negligible from Russia, Arabic countries.

I found out that S4U/HEG use TeliaSonera/Telia.net as its main Network provider apart from Cogent as secondary. Telia has huge presense in EU, and many PoPs in U.S. itself and connected to Level3, Cogent, NTT. Softlayer too has huge presence in U.S and is directly connected to Level 3, Zayo, NTT, Telia, AT&T.

Note that S4U/HEG is connected to L3, NTT, At&t through Telia, whereas SL is directly connected to Telia.
But Telia is connected/peering with 1500 ISPs, while Softlayer peers with 200-250 ISPs worldwide.

In your opinion which network will be better S4U's Telia or SL's L3/at&t/zayo??

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Ramnode. Softlayer.

You can't even compare Softlayer to Server4you.. completely different target clientbase.

• 1.) Go with the one you have more confidence in. If their answers didn't give you confidence and you had to login every so often to reboot the machine, it doesn't seem like you'd have much trust in them.

2.) I'm a little confused by the S4U vs SL, as there's a huge variance in pricing, especially nowadays. SoftLayer hands down though - they own, and maintain their network, and it's damn impressive.

• RamNode & Softlayer

• Easy questions which had been answered.

• why limit with ramnode and hvh? try speedykvm or inception

• Can you share more details about the hvh offer?