Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What the hell

Comments

• Just.....dont

• @jeff said: "If I had a nickle for every time" becomes "11h@Nfet"

Having "IfIhadanickleforeverytime" as password is a lot more secure than a short random looking characters

• @ShardHost said: This craps out at certain database sizes. Back up the database independently.

Doubt his DB is that big yet considering he probably have like 5 clients at most...so I would say he just have no idea how to configure this properly.

Which is another reason why I don't think this will work out for him...

@djvdorp said: Just.....dont

+1

• @dominicl:

Here is a suggestion for you, if you don't know how to set up CPanel/Backup properly, spend a little more and instead of buying a reseller plan from a random Indian company that uses a phone number and address in US, here is a plan that you might be interested in:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1260431

Take advantage of the first month off to save some money, since that might be how long your business will last anyways, first month for 14 bucks is not bad.

Never used them before but I think they have some positive review on WHT.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I've used TMZ previously actually, not a bad bunch.

• @dominicl said: I've used TMZ previously actually, not a bad bunch.

Then stick with them and don't use some random hosters who probably don't know a lot more about CPanel and WHCMS than you do.

• @djvdorp said: Just.....dont

What do you suggest?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Don't forget to check the offending IP in browser. Last time someone from India tried to compromise my stuff and got too far, I found the most amazing thing... A public facing router administration page with default password. It sure helped me sort through things after I took them off the Internet for a bit. That's not bragging, his router was a child's toy, but disabling your attacker is never a bad thing.

• @craigb that maybe he shouldnt run a business like this?

• My LowEndPassword is "password". It hasn't been hacked yet!

• @zhuanyi said: Doubt his DB is that big yet considering he probably have like 5 clients at most..

5 more clients than you got with that kickstarter

• @Magiobiwan said: My LowEndPassword is "password". It hasn't been hacked yet!

Mine's 1234567. Everyone stops at 1234 or 1234567890, but no-one ever thinks to stop at 7!!!

• @HalfEatenPie Mind if I use that for my bank password? I feel I should use a different one for my bank.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Magiobiwan said: @HalfEatenPie Mind if I use that for my bank password? I feel I should use a different one for my bank.

For your bank just use empty password, no one will suspect.

• Ooh. Say, why did my balance suddenly drop by $500???

• @Magiobiwan said: Say, why did my balance suddenly drop by $500???

Fees for living and being associated with me. If you want to be my friend, you have to pay your dues!

• udkudk Member

@jarland said: A public facing router administration page with default password. It sure helped me sort through things after I took them off the Internet for a bit. That's not bragging, his router was a child's toy, but disabling your attacker is never a bad thing.

You most likely "attacked" an innocent user who doesn't know their router is publicly available. It's easy to compromise a computer when their router is publicly accessible.

edited April 2013

@udk It was that individual. Not worth explaining more, but fear not, I did my homework. Probably should have explained further or refrained from posting that in that way, but what's done is done. I want to stress that it was to disable an attacker, it was an educated move, but it was also painfully easy and I probably shouldn't suggest people run around doing it willy nilly :)

• jeffjeff Member

@BronzeByte said: Having "IfIhadanickleforeverytime" as password is a lot more secure than a short random looking characters

It is readable, but to each his own

• KrisKris Member

@jeff said: It is readable, but to each his own

http://xkcd.com/936/

• @djvdorp said: @craigb that maybe he shouldnt run a business like this?

Amen

• @dominicl

Was your password in any database leaks that were made public? Did you CHANGE them?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I can't decide if this is

(a) OMG I was hacked, or

(b) I changed my mind again about running premiumvm.com/I ran out of money and don't want to state that on LET so instead I'll say I was hacked

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited April 2013

@raindog308 said: (a) OMG I was hacked, or

(b) I changed my mind again about running premiumvm.com/I ran out of money and don't want to state that on LET so instead I'll say I was hacked

I know it probably sounds fake when it is from me, but I'd hope he is at least being a honest person.

• Why did this have to be public though? I'd keep these matters to myself whatever it is. It just hurts your image more and won't give you a chance to fix anything even if they can be fixed.

• @concerto49 said: Why did this have to be public though? I'd keep these matters to myself whatever it is. It just hurts your image more and won't give you a chance to fix anything even if they can be fixed.

Probably better for him to say it out loud before any of his clients start to post some angry comments on LET/LEB because the VPS is not accessible nor WHMCS?

• @raindog308 said: (b) I changed my mind again about running premiumvm.com/I ran out of money and don't want to state that on LET so instead I'll say I was hacked

I have the same idea before, but I keep it in my mind. I believe most people would think as you are @raindog308 , including myself.

• tommytommy Member

@raindog308 said: (b) I changed my mind again about running premiumvm.com/I ran out of money and don't want to state that on LET so instead I'll say I was hacked

this :) enjoy your time folks

• The other day I was talking to @dominicl and suggested to him to claim publicly that he got hacked so that he would save face because he tell me that he no long wants to do this no more. So why I am pissed at @dominicl? Because he screwed me out of time and money and this venture blue up in my face. I wanted @dominicl not to loose all credibility but after pulling some crap on me I dont care anymore. @dominicl is a fucking douchebag:

@DraterTel said: The other day I was talking to

Quite the statement, as you well know. Anything to back it up?