Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What the hell

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Diesel - no it's not that for the security question. I know nobody from India whatsoever so that's out of the question.

The emails are the same, but some passwords were different.

• @dominicl India IP can be VPN or SOCKS...

@Diesel said: @dominicl India IP can be VPN or SOCKS...

Yeah, I believe it is.

• Hackers will not use their own ip,mind that

• @Zen said: <THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T

There, fixed it for you

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

@DewlanceVPS Chill, it's just a non-harmful joke, :)
    And coming back at someone with a song lyric that you may or may not have just made up isn't so wise.

• twaintwain Member

@craigb said: @Zen said: <THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T

There, fixed it for you

wow

• bobbybobby Member

Gold here

• FreekFreek Member

@dominicl said: terminated all VM's, and submitted cancellation requests for absolutely everything.

Now why would anyone do that?

@dominicl said: the hacker

Oh wait, lol.

@Freek said: Now why would anyone do that?

The hacker, because he's a moron :)

• udkudk Member

If he really pulled all this off as you describe (which seems unlikely) then he's far from a moron.

Personally, I find it hard to believe someone would go through all this just to put in cancellation requests which are easily negated - I think there is more to it.

• bobbybobby Member

Indeed, bro.

• @udk said: Personally, I find it hard to believe someone would go through all this just to put in cancellation requests which are easily negated - I think there is more to it.

He wiped the website, WHMCS and node too...

• jeffjeff Member

Password phrases work well, make up three phrases you will never forget. I usually use 8 chars for each. So, "If I had a nickle for every time" becomes "11h@Nfet" you can cap after symbols, or cap the last letter, what ever works. You will have three of these phrases so 8, 16 and 24 length passwords are easy to remember, but not readable. After resetting passwords for 10 years I taught this method to my support clients and even the dumbest users word never bother me again. Unfortunately some users taped the phrases to their monitors.

• @jeff I had an algorithm like that that involved ASCII codes etc, but it ended up being too confusing for my low end brain. Now I just make up weird stuff and write it down in a "password notebook"...

• jeffjeff Member

@Diesel so the pw notes are digital still?

• @jeff Sorry, I didn't understand you. :) Could you rephrase please?

• jeffjeff Member

@Diesel said: Could you rephrase please? Do you actually write them down or use a digital device?

• @jeff I just write it down old school, with paper and pen.

• no backups.. at all? Recommendations to hosts: use the built in WHMCS email backup!

@eric1212 said: no backups.. at all? Recommendations to hosts: use the built in WHMCS email backup!

I had configured that a few days back, but it doesn't seem to be working unfortunately, or if so, i never got the email

• @dominicl said: I had configured that a few days back, but it doesn't seem to be working unfortunately, or if so, i never got the email

Check your spam folder

• @dominicl said: @eric1212 said: no backups.. at all? Recommendations to hosts: use the built in WHMCS email backup!

This craps out at certain database sizes. Back up the database independently.

• As a DB grows, it becomes too big for a PHP script like the WHMCS cron to handle backing up due to the amount of data within it causing various server limits to be exceeded, usually around the 20MB mark.

http://docs.whmcs.com/Backups

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2013

Normally this would call for a dramatic train wreck picture, however seeing as it's dominic, I thought this would be better.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• jhjh Member

Did you annoy any of your WJunction customers?

Did you use the same password you tend to use when you sign up for VPSs?

• @W1V_Lee Hhahahhahahaha brilliant +1

• @jhadley Did you annoy any of your WJunction customers?

This is priceless.

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited April 2013

@dominicl I've given this some more thought and realized you are sitting on a potential goldmine in terms of future VPS product lines. Instead of following the crowd and offering regular LEBs, have you considered formalizing your "VPS experiences" line. You've already nailed 'Gone in 60 seconds!" (part I and II are in the bag, part III is in the making). for this current escapade you could simply run with "Hackers" (Revenge of the Invoices) and up next you could do "Dude, someone stole my server!" (suggest relationship building with 3 letter agency for photo op of staged DC breach). I've even got a tagline for you: "Why rent a slice of silicon, when instead you can enjoy a fully immersive, PremiumVM experience?". You'll obviously need to revise your SLA's (suggest 9.99% to be safe) but clearly with a purchased experience, uptime will mean different things to different people ;).